Thread: Best matching amplifier for Compact 7 (1st Generation)

Default Best matching amplifier for Compact 7 (1st Generation)

Hi guys...anybody want to share best matching amplifier for Compact 7 (1st Generation ). Currently im using Quad combo 66+606mk2

Default Harbeth with Rogue Audio amplifier

Hi ceroy77,

I heard the C7ES3 at my dealer store, amplified with Rogue Audio Cronus tube amplifier with excellent results. This combo reveal an extremely involving and musical synergy.

Sébastien

Default Do nothing!

I would just stick with what you have. It is a nice combo.

Default LFD Mistral + C7ES3

I am using LFD old Mistral LE int amp with the 7 now. Wonderful sounding to me. I also tried LFD Zero int LE mkIII with my 7 and sound great too. Now the Zero Int is with my SHL5.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Harbeth + QUAD

Thanks with all the inputs...

Sebastian - My harbeth is 1st generation of compact 7 maybe can try audition it
    Will - Nice quote
    Keith - Will try to find it in Malaysia...have u heard the sound of 7 with quad combo?

Default Used to own QUAD

Hi ceroy77,
    I used to have a Quad 606 with with my 5 and 7 for some time but did not have it's pre amp. I used my Maranrz int pre out to the Quad. I think both didn't match well because Quad 606 input sensitivity is quite high. I do not have match room for me to turn at volume side: either too soft or too high. I personally also like simple setup and prefer integrated amp than pre/power so I sold the 606 and finally settled with the LED.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Harbeth will sound wonderful with any amp

Hi Ceroy77,

The 1st generation C7 or practically any Harbeth will sound wonderful with any decent amp. I've tried Onix OA22, 1st generation Cyrus 1 & even an inexpensive Jolida 1301 hybrid amp with the 1st generation C7, all sounded wonderful. Have also heard Keith's LFD Mistral with it & also superbly musical. Your Quad combo should no doubt sound great with it too. The 1st generation C7 was the spk that made me part with the venerable 15ohm LS-3/5A. That itself should tell you how good it is.

Default Rogue Cronus Magnum + new C7ES3: sounds stunning out of the box

I'm on the first day of the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum with C7ES3's, listening to the third CD ever played through the speakers (have owned Rogue for almost two years).

To say that this sounds stunning would be an understatement. This is the first pair of speakers I've ever owned that sounded amazing right out of the box. There is NO getting used to these speakers for me because they could not possibly sound better. I have a glass of cab franc in hand and I'm staying up until midnight listening to music. I checked the bias on my amp about 25 minutes after I fired it up and it was spot on. I've never had to adjust the bias and I'm still running the original KT90's. I've never tube rolled either because I never thought it could sound any better. This is what I can say about both the Rogue and C7ES3's. BUT, I've never heard Quad so I'm not saying it sounds any better. It just sounds great.

The only changes to come are that I'm using a CDP that my shop let me borrow. It's a Music Concepts and I believe it's a modified Panasonic? It sounds very nice. You put the CD in the transport upside down which is something new to me. I have an Audiolab 8200CDQ at the shop I have to pick up along with new speaker cables and that will finish out my system. My Rotel stopped reading CD's so it's going in for repair under warranty and then sold. I liked the Rotel but like the features of the Audiolab better. I'm officially off the merry go round.

Default Still happy with QUAD amps but ...

thanks with all the info....so LFD is next to go..hopefully can audit this combo in malaysia...from the looks

LFD look like old audiolab amp to me...how good is the price same as audiolab...hehhehehehe

im still happy with quad combo...

Default C7 pure candy!

Hi,

I am listening my c7 with a Wyred For Sound Dac2 and a power amplifier E1 Perreaux....
    Gosh ! it's a pure candy !

What can I do ?
    I suggest to myself to put an ATOLL in 200...

What do you think about it ?

yijing..update us if u have audition this atoll with C7....

Default Concern and confusion (and needless anxiety)

Actually, it's more difficult than I thought...

I believed my DAC2 WAS too much smooth...
    The reality is more complex. It's smoothy when I make use of the pré-amp possibility.
    But when i make use exclusively the Dac, it sounds just perfectly for me...
    So by that last way I am not sure having need au amplifier especially "straight" and energic like the Atoll...

May be an Densen or a Classe 151 should be enough...and why not a LFD ?!!!!

Listening is a necessity?

There is no smiley on this Forum ? I am lost !!

{Moderator's comment: is this degree of anxiety really healthy for you? Do you think we here can help you in your personal crisis? Try appreciating the equipment you *already* have and enjoying the music?}
    DAC2 W For S, PERREAUX EI HARBETH C7,

Default Churn

Quote Originally Posted by yijing View Post
    Actually, it's more difficult than I thought...

I believed my DAC2 WAS too much smooth...
    The reality is more complex. It's smoothy when I make use of the pré-amp possibility.
    But when i make use exclusively the Dac, it sounds just perfectly for me...
    So by that last way I am not sure having need an amplifier especially "straight" and energic like the Atoll...

May be an Densen or a Classe 151 should be enough...and why not a LFD ?!!!!

Listening is a necessity !

There is no smiley on this Forum ? I am lost !!

{Moderator's comment: is this degree of anxiety really healthy for you? Do you think we here can help you in your personal crisis? Try appreciating the equipment you *already* have and enjoying the music?}

Hi Clara ! Get out of this body !
    Thanks for the advice but I don't care the music I am just listening the "sound of silence"...
    Further more I feel that's not a pleasure for you to read me ... neither do I. (to read you). So I will not come back pretty soon...
    DAC2 W For S, PERREAUX EI HARBETH C7,