Thread: Is Arcam FMJ A32 a good match for the Compact 7ES 3

Default Is Arcam FMJ A32 a good match for the Compact 7ES 3

Hi

I am currently driving the Compact 7s with a Rotel 1070 integrated (100W x 2 @8ohms) ... Am getting a used Arcam FMJ A32 about 3 years old for approx GBP 500...

Will it be an upgrade to my Rotel or should I save more money and go for a much better amplifier? Have my eyes on the McIntosh SS integrateds or the Accuphase but need to save atleast 2 years to buy those...

{Moderator's comment: anyone? We're exasperated}

Default Rotel

Quote Originally Posted by panditr View Post
    Hi

I am currently driving the Compact 7s with a Rotel 1070 integrated (100W x 2 @8ohms) ... Am getting a used Arcam FMJ A32 about 3 years old for approx GBP 500...

Will it be an upgrade to my Rotel or should I save more money and go for a much better amplifier? Have my eyes on the McIntosh SS integrateds or the Accuphase but need to save atleast 2 years to buy those...

Moderator: I - I haven't done this as often as you!
    The Rotel, of which I have personal experience, if in good working condition, is as good an amplifier that the Harbeths will ever need, they are indifferent to amplification quality beyond a point, which the Rotel comfortably crosses. Any further improvement that you hear from any amplifier change will come from things other than this. To wit, the quality of the performance, how well it was recorded, speaker placement in your room, and room acoustics are what will drive changes that you can hear. The latter two can make a big difference to how your speakers will sound. Your Harbeth will probably also sound better with the lights down low, and a glass of whisky in hand - mine does!:-) One of the great things about Harbeth is that it allows you get off the upgrading train for good, and enjoy the music. It allows you to treat your system as the finger pointing at the moon, to stop obsessing over the finger.
    You might want to read a recent thread that is live, about a similar question for the P3ESR pair, that talks to this subject of amplifier selection in its latter part.

Default Answer here

See this thread. Different speaker and amplifier but the same principle applies.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...y-will-work%29

Default Looking for the Names of Competently Designed Amplifiers?

Hi

Hi Pandit,

I hope the moderator's comment in the other topic may provide the answer you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Art K View Post
    I have a suggestion. Either go out and listen to something........
    {Moderator's comment: we note that this non-question of which-amp-which-speaker is being asked over and over again. As Art K says, HUG members cannot be expected to give reliable advice. ANY COMPETENTLY DESIGNED AMP WORKING TO ORIGINAL SPEC WILL WORK WITH HARBETHS -please don't ask this question.}
    So, all you have to do is to find out which Amplifiers are COMPETENTLY DESIGNED AND WORKING TO ORIGINAL SPECIFICATIONS. But be careful, do not rely on the amplifiers specs given by their manufacturers as they may be skewed to give favorable numbers under their preferred benchmark. Is Naim a well designed Amp? Not so according to some but many Harbeth users favourite. Is the Marantz a well designed Amp? Yes! according to my engineer friend who actually measured the amp specification but then they are not favourable to audiophiles.

Until someone measures and publish an independent report on all COMPETENTLY DESIGNED AMPLIFIERS we are at the mercy of audiophiles unless you care to close your ears and eyes to the so called "expert" opinions and decide for yourself and be contend with it. Too bad for myself for not taking up engineering otherwise I would list down all the names of COMPETENTLY DESIGNED AMPLIFIERS after measuring them.

ST

Default Arcam v. Rotel with C7 and a two-year save-up to buy

You need to try the Arcam up against your Rotel and see which you prefer. No one can tell you which is best for you and your circumstances. Specifications and reviews are likewise useless.

Use your ears and let your brain decide.
    Hi

Will it be an upgrade to my Rotel or should I save more money and go for a much better amplifier? Have my eyes on the McIntosh SS integrateds or the Accuphase but need to save at least 2 years to buy those...

Default Just don't worry about the amp match with Harbeth

It's a common question because so many other speaker manufacturers' products offer extremely challenging loads to the amplifiers. I wanted to get out of that rat race, which is one reason I just bought my Harbeths.

To answer your question directly: every amp you mentioned would be a good "match" with your Harbeths, because Harbeths present an easy electrical load to an amplifier. Short answer: don't worry about "matching" your amp to your speakers; just buy an amp you like.

I'm not familiar enough with the specific models you mention to give an informed comment about those models. FWIW, I did an extended demo of the McIntosh 140 watt integrated last week and I think it's not enough of an upgrade from my Arcam 10 to warrant the money.