Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendable cartridge

I've already order it (AT-150MLX).!!

The match of tone-arm and cartridge is also critical. A high compliance cartridge will work with lightweight arms (i.e. ortofon 2m black with SME V) and a low compliance cartridge will work well with a high mass arm (SME 3012 series 1 with a Denon DL103).

I just expanded my turntable collection with a Lenco L70 with the very heavy P77 tonearm and mounted a DL103. And it sings, beautiful bass. Quite different from my 2M Black on SME V with Garrard 401.

Despite the rumble of the Lenco, I seem to enjoy it more. At the same time I love the super quiet 401 with the high precision SME V and 2m Black.

Well, at least we still have plenty of choice to play around with

We do! There is so much interesting and truly well made analogue stuff out there, much more than there is in the loudspeaker-department (i.e. a Harbeth is a more unique item than an Ortofon or even a Lyra).

Vinylists still have it good these days and I've just 'discovered' a gem: the Grado Statement Sonata.

This is easily the most organic and holographic cart that has resided in my Jelco SA750D tonearm so far. My last was a Benz ACE SL; great cart but not as natural or mature in terms of timbre & natural bloom.

It is low output so it can be connected to he same MC input as our previous cart (phonostage has to be set to 47 kiloOhms though).

Grado, like Harbeth, is a traditional and long-running company where pride is taken in making an honest, musical product. The Grado-Harbeth transducer pairing is a very good one (I always like to keep the character of the source and speaker balanced; they should 'agree' on how to portrey music).

Quote Originally Posted by Boukman View Post
    The match of tone-arm and cartridge is also critical. A high compliance cartridge will work with lightweight arms (i.e. ortofon 2m black with SME V) and a low compliance cartridge will work well with a high mass arm (SME 3012 series 1 with a Denon DL103).

I just expanded my turntable collection with a Lenco L70 with the very heavy P77 tonearm and mounted a DL103. And it sings, beautiful bass. Quite different from my 2M Black on SME V with Garrard 401.

Despite the rumble of the Lenco, I seem to enjoy it more. At the same time I love the super quiet 401 with the high precision SME V and 2m Black.

Well, at least we still have plenty of choice to play around with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12