Thread: Pondering the change from P3ESR to Monitor 30

Post Pondering the change from P3ESR to Monitor 30

I've owned P3ESR speakers since April this year and really love them, but I've moved to a larger room and could accommodate a larger speaker now.

hifi_dave recommended the Monitor 30 to me. He said the bass would be deeper and better and the treble would be sweeter and more refined than the P3ESR due to a better tweeter.

The midrange would maintain the quality I'm used to with the P3ESR by all accounts. The rest of the system will be unchanged - SME/dCS/Nagra, and the room is about 4m by 3m.

Can anyone add any advice/thoughts about changing to the Monitor 30?

Default 4 x 3m room and P3ESR?

4x3m room is to big for p3esr? I believe u are listening them now in that room, why do u think they are to small? And how big was your previous room?
    Thx.

Post Small room, but a dedicated listening space

Quote Originally Posted by SomiKnight View Post
    4x3m room is to big for p3esr? I believe u are listening them now in that room, why do u think they are to small? And how big was your previous room?
    Thx.
    It's not that the room is too big for P3ESRs, it's just that this room is slightly larger than my old room and is a regular rectangular space. It is also pretty much a dedicated listening room with just system/chair/CD and LP shelves, whereas my last room was a small bedroom full of allsorts of other stuff.

I can get the speakers placed very nicely here and I could easily squeeze in the M30 according to Harbeth dealer hifi_dave. I'm just wondering whether it would be a good change to make.

Default Stick with your P3ESRs?

I feel that you should stick to your P3ESRs. If the upgrade bug really hits you hard, try & get a home trial before committing. By all accounts, the P3ESR is an excellent mini monitor. I will not hesitate to get a pair if i have a small room that i can fit them into.

Default You deserve M30s

I think the rest of your system deserves the M30s!

Post P3ESR is the best mini-monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    I feel that you should stick to your P3ESRs. If the upgrade bug really hits you hard, try & get a home trial before committing. By all accounts, the P3ESR is an excellent mini monitor. I will not hesitate to get a pair if i have a small room that i can fit them into.
    The P3ESR is a superb mini-monitor, the best I've heard by a mile. I'm not dissatisfied with their performance - let me clarify that now - I think I'm just curious about whether the M30 might be even more enjoyable. Getting a home trial is tricky, dealers are a long way from me. I'm sure I wouldn't regret buying the M30 - afterall, it is a Harbeth.

Still time to think it over though, thanks for the input. BTW I'd never sell the P3ESR even if I got the M30!

Default Which veneer?

Just for fun. if you did get the M30s what veneer would you go for?
    I rather like the look of either the new Maple option or even the grey 'painted' one. ( I have the standard Cherry which is also great)

Post Veneer choices for M30

Quote Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
    I rather like the look of either the new Maple option or even the grey 'painted' one. ( I have the standard Cherry which is also great)
    My P3ESRs are in Rosewood which I think suits them very well - in the brochure they are shown in Rosewood. I didn't know Maple and grey paint were available. I'd probably go for Cherry this time I think.

Default Consider C7ES3

Why not consider the C7ES3 which with Radial2 similar to your P3ESR mid driver. The P3ESR is excellent but if you feel you need more bass with bigger sound and do not have space constrain, the bigger harbeth is the way to go and much better than adding a sub.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Curious about veneers

Quote Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
    Hey, Phil.

Just curious where you saw the M30's in these color choices. My C7's are in maple, and didn't think Harbeth was doing this veneer any more. My own 30's are in rosenut.

Thanks, cheers!

Bob LaBarca (I bought your Foundation stands)

Default Maple?

Hi Bob, didn't know you had a pair of C7s as well as the M30s! On both the home page (under products) and in the latest brochure all but the two largest HL5s and 40.1s are listed as being available in Maple.

The grey is the only option available in the 'studio' range. But I'm sure they could be ordered for 'home' use if desired. Philip.
    ps: do you have pics of both speakers together? the contrast would be nice to see.

Default Upgrade to RADIAL2?

I am waiting for the M30 to be upgraded to Radial2, sadly it's one of the last to get the up grade. Is there any one here using M30 with a highend Naim system ie. 252/250.2?
    Thanks
    Ken

Default M30 great with NAIM

The M30 is a great speaker no matter what the cone material and I use them fairly regularly with Naim electronics.