Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finally today I received my new P3ESR rosewo...BUT does they have defects on the color of the wood??

Default Not mass produced

It is of course a question of personal taste. For me these P3 look especially lovely.
    You can see that this is not a computer-assembled mass-product. It somehow looks alive.

Still, personal taste.

Default The dividing line between quality, and the variability of nature

We at Harbeth UK much appreciate your understanding that with rosewood veneer - perhaps more than any other veneer- there will be significant differences form pair to pair.

The L/R veneers are matched so that the features of the left speaker are as closely matched to the right speaker as humanly possible. Please bear in mind that the veneer sheets (or leaves as they are known) used to make each speaker come from adjacent slices of the tree and as features (side shoots for example) are nearer the outside of the tree will slowly disappear as the veneer slices advance through the tree. So there are lots of reasons why adjacent pairs of speakers may look very different - but within a wide range must be considered normal and sellable.

As I mentioned before, because we work very closely with our cabinet makers for many years of continuous production, they know what we want and expect and rarely do we disagree over veneers. More of an issue is transit damage from them to us (where an idiot puts a forklift through a pallet of cabinets), occasional human error and the like. What happens to the cabinets we are not totally happy with? Sadly, no matter how beautiful the veneer we have to destroy them, which is a crying shame and waste of natural resources. But there must be no possibility that these cabinets will mysteriously work their way back into the supply chain. We work really hard to try and avoid this: the 'graded for charity' is one occasional solution.

Attached pictures of the end of the road for a few cabinets. From this distance they look beautiful, but I can assure you that for one reason or another they just are not good enough. And yes, unless the supplier will play ball with us (sometimes they will, sometimes not) Harbeth UK just has to take the financial hit on the chin. Basic quality must be maintained, but veneers will vary, as you can see from these few rosewood SHL5s. But these veneer variations you see are considered normal, 'in spec' and perfectly sellable.

NOTE: The cabinets here awaiting their demise are not piled-up as pairs, (although the paired cabinets will definitely be in this group, somewhere) so this gives an idea of veneer variations across a large batch.

>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Veneer variations in rosewood

Pictures of M40.1 in rosewood being assembled today.

Pictures lightened a little to show veneer variation; actually colour is darker than this under natural light.

Significant variations pair to pair but all extremely beautiful we think. Rosewood P3ESR (and C7ES3, SHL5 and M30) all from the same veneer supplier so will exhibit similar features from time to time, week to week, batch to batch. Or may be more straight-grained. We never know. That's poart of the pleasure of receiving a new batch of cabinets!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A critic speaks

Yes, they are beautiful. I know this will be censored, like my other recent posts that dare to disagree with Alan or Harbeth-but pablozz' P3's are decidedly not beautiful. Why not just own up to that and admit it? No one is perfect!

{Moderator's comment: nobody can decide what another finds beautiful. Harbeth Uk would make and happily sell that pair again. It is within what we consider normal veneer variation. If the user is not satified, we have explained what we will do to make him satisfied. Your persistent (deleted) posts are not constructive when the action plan is perfectly clear to all.}

Smile Wow! Beautiful!

Wow!! the rosewood veneer is beautiful..Who will be the lucky guy? May be I have to get another pair :-)

Default My unique pair - and cables/tube amp info

Hi friend, you have to pay....pay a lot :-) this is a unique pair. if you visit italy, i will happy to show/listen them.

friends now I am in confusion about cabling from vacuum tube amplifier and p3esr. I tried van den hul cs122 but not completely happy. the mid high freqencies was cutted. do you have experience on some specific cable for combination between p3es2 and a vacuum tube amplifier? what do you think with kimber 8tc?

ciaoo

Default Kimber 8TC cable

Kimber 8TCs are quite fast sounding with extended highs. Do give them a try, you might like them. But as in all things hifi & then some, YMMV.

{Moderator's comment: "YMMV"????}

Default "ymmv"

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

= You may see/hear it differently depending on your preferences.

Default Love the unique veneer

I love that veneer! I would feel very fortunate that my speakers were so unique if they were mine. I asked my wife to look at the photos and she thought they were gorgeous and that the pattern almost 'told a story'.

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't the fate of that particular pair, but if they are languishing (in disgrace) in the corner of a shop or warehouse or factory somewhere, I can provide an address for what will be a loving home for many, many years and where it's wonderful, unique, natural patterns will be admired rather than villified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12