Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: British Cuisine

Default A Saturday scone surprise success!

So, it being Saturday, and having a bit of time on my hands, I popped over to my favorite forum, and there it was, a thread on Scones...thus after a few minutes of reading, off I went to the store to get some of the required ingredients, and back into the kitchen I went! After some 15 minutes of prep and combining, (and forgetting to add the currents!!), into the oven they went, and some 17 minutes later, near perfection! Some Irish butter, a coffee, and jazz on the radio, satiated and happy we were.

I used a slightly modified recipe from "Cooking with Julia" (Child), substituting Kefir for the buttermilk. Very flakey and moist, another nice bit of Brit cuisine that I like. And yes, we drink a lot of tea at home, mostly English breakfast, bought from a tea shop, thus fairly high turnover, and really tasty!

Cheers

George

Default First attempt

Well here's the first attempt at scones. I'm glad to see my post last evening was an influence on George's breakfast. These tasted delicious but I did struggle a bit. I couldn't get the flour to stick to my cut out, so it pressed the edges together which resulted in a little less oven spring than I would have liked. My cut out was also a little larger than I would have liked, so in true American fashion they're too big. I served these with clotted cream and my favorite jam which is sour cherry. I might try one of Nigella Lawson's recipes next time. She doesn't use eggs, and I'm curious to see what kind of consistency that produces.

This was the first time I've tried clotted cream. Very good indeed. I might have to stir some into my next risotto.

George and GregD, would you care to share recipes? I'm curious to see variations in consistency as a result of different rising agents as well as eggs / no eggs.

I hope the picture posts. Never done this before.

[IMG]C:\Users\laptop\Pictures\2012-06-01 001[/IMG]

Default Baking with Julia (Child) Scones

Ingredients
    3 cups flour
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 sticks cold unsealed butter, cut into small pieces (6 ounces)
    1 cup buttermilk (I used Kefir as there is no buttermilk sold in Budapest)
    1 tablespoon grated orange zest (or lemon)

2 tablespoons milk for brushing and cinnamon sugar for dusting

Oven 425F
    Mix the first 5 ingredients together in a bowl
    Add the cold butter pieces (a few at a time) and with a pastry blender or your fingers work it into the lour mixture till it resembles coarse oatmeal. Don't make it too smooth, the butter chunks add to flakiness.
    Pour in the buttermilk or Kefir, zest and mix with a fork until just blended into a moist mix. If its a bit dry add a tablespoon of your liquid.
    Gather it up in a ball and place it on a floured surface, knead briefly (12 turns or so).
    Flatten into a round disk, so that the dough is about 3/4" to 1" thick. Cut the disk into 8 triangles (like a pie). Place on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper, with the triangle point facing in.
    Brush the scones with the milk and dust with the cinnamon sugar. Into the oven for 12-17 minutes (till brown as you like)... Let cool slightly and eat...;-)
    Variations - we ran out of white flour so we added whole wheat, 1 cup white and 2 cups whole wheat. This made them very crumbly, but still very tasty. Very good the next day too...ask me how I know...

Cheers

George
    Last edited by Macjager; 03-06-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Recipe correction

Default Scones without eggs?

That looks like a recipe I would like to try. I'm glad you're enjoying your scones the next day. I did the same thing this morning. I'm going to have to eat straight fruits and vegetables all week to make up for the way I've treated my body this weekend. We stopped at the local Greek Festival last night and I can't keep myself away from the desserts.

Here's the recipe I used, taken from the BBC web site. There was a few more of them, and they did not include eggs.

450g/1lb strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
    5 tsp baking powder
    pinch salt
    75g/3oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
    75g/3oz caster sugar
    150g/5oz sultanas
    2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten, plus 2 eggs for glazing
    250ml/9fl oz milk
    400g/14oz clotted cream, to serve

For the scones, preheat the oven to 220C/450F/Gas 7. Grease a large baking tray.
    Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl, then rub in the butter
    until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Stir in the sugar, sultanas and eggs.
    Stir in the milk with a wooden spoon, a little at a time, to form a smooth dough.
    Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of 2cm/¾in.
    Dip a 5cm/2in pastry cutter into a little flour and cut out the scones
    (be careful not to twist the cutter as it will cause the scones to rise unevenly).

Beat the two remaining eggs in a bowl and carefully brush the tops of the scones,
    taking care not to let any run over the edge.Place the scones onto the baking tray
    and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden-brown.

Remove the scones from
    the oven and allow to cool slightly. Serve the warm scones with the strawberry jam and clotted cream.

Cheers

Don

Default A royal scone?

Sconnoisseurship!

A wordsmith as well as designer of my favorite speaker.

All this scone talk has me wondering what became of those Lardy Johns and Plum Heavies?

Wish I could have been back in England for the parade on the Thames. My day was spent enjoying some favorite classical music to include Handels Water Music.

Default Scone tips - but not cheese please!

Odd that this should be my first post on such a forum, oh well.

Any dried fruit is fine for scones, experiment .................. cheese, well forget about that!
    Milk, use the oldest fullest fat you have in the fridge, the older the better (within reason, i accept no liability here).

Always make "too many". They freeze well in sealed containers or those ziploc freezer bags and importantly defrost quite quickly.

Use unsalted butter when serving as your scone mix will be perfect already :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12