Thread: Harbeth SHL5 stands from Skylan stands filling

Post Harbeth SHL5 stands from Skylan stands filling

Dear friends,

I have been using SHL5s for 2 months and I am, as one might expect stunned by the sound, with totally new perspectives of a sound, reminding me of good old times of hi-fi spirit. Mine SHL5s are Exposure 2010S2-driven and sounds wonderful with The Chord Odissey 2 loudspeaker cables. From the beginning I was using wooden chairs, Ikea lookalikes, that were even 2x pricier, all natural wood built.

The sound was so good, it simply oozes delight... :-)

Mainly because of aesthetic reasons I have decided to buy dedicated Skylan stands from local representative and this move changes appearance dramatically in a positively way, but somehow influenced the sound quality in a negative way, not much, but let's say a for bit downwards. I would describe the sound as a 10% more "suffocated" and "dumped" than before. It's still fine though, but those "10% bits" are now bothering...

When assembled, I decided to fill Skylan stands, as it was written in manual, that means leaving about 5 cm or so unfilled. The filing material came from Skylan, and it was "SKY Premium Fill" what can be actually learned from their site.

Is there something I can do reduce mentioned negative effects i.e. filling the stands with less filler, because I'm not about to turn back to wooden Ikea-like chairs, since they are not visually (let/s put this way) acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Viktor

Default Skylan and my SHL5

Coincidently, I have changed to Skylan stands for SHL5. I find the result amazing. better than the DIY 4 column stands provided by the dealer. The 'blooming' effect was eliminated when it is speaker is position away from the walls and corners

I have requested to fill up the Skylan stand with 'glass bits' and only 3/4 filled.. i was told that the lighter the Skylan stands, the better it will be for the speakers..

Default SHL5 stand filler

That means that spilling the filler from stands at a level of about not more than 1/2 - 3/4 (right now only 5cm left from the top) might actually have a positive effects.

I'm definitively going to try this, but wondering would it be better off to spill the filler from the top plate, than the other way around (contrary to filling them)?
    In a matter of fact this is the only way as far as I recollect...
    Last edited by vjovic; 09-12-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Mistyping errors

Default Filling rules?

Quote Originally Posted by vjovic View Post
    That means that spilling the filler from stands at a level of about not more than 1/2 - 3/4 (right now only 5cm left from the top) might actually have a positive effects.

I'm definitively going to try this, but wondering would it be better off to spill the filler from the top plate, than the other way around (contrary to filling them)?
    In a matter of fact this is the only way as far as I recollect...
    And what si thé result ? Better sound now ?

This sharing your findings

Phil