Thread: The real sound of some tweeters! Nature's way of demanding attention ...

Default The real sound of some tweeters! Nature's way of demanding attention ...

I made this recording last year of the annual return to nest of Great Tits (Parus major) to their nest above my front door. The tiny chicks have their parents dancing in non-stop attendance for two weeks or so as the chicks are insatiable.

Last year I was ready to make a recording of the chicks in full song, just days before they took to the wing - which I missed every year and assume to be early in the morning.

Playing this recording really makes the point that energy in what hi-fi listeners attribute to the tweeter band can be extremely fatiguing if not perfectly blended with that of the upper band of the bass/midrange driver. So here is what a clutch (perhaps four or five) of tiny tweeters sound like with accompanying spectral analysis.

>>> Video talk-through here <<<
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default The sweet sound of nature?

I've read that a baby's cry falls right into the frequency range at which human hearing is most sensitive, which is why we find it so annoying - it demands immediate attention (for good evolutionary reasons).

I've read that the Super HL5 has a slight "dip" in its midrange response. Bearing in mind the ear's great sensitivity to midrange frequencies, could this dip be in part responsible for the SHL5's "sweet" sound?

Anything is possible in audio!
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Beautiful birds

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    could this dip be in part responsible for the SHL5's "sweet" sound?
    We have some of the most beautiful birds in the world down here, my fav. being the Rainbow Lorikeet, (Trichoglossus haematodus). When i mention this some people they go aghast. Beautiful and personable, not to mention highly intelligent as they may be, their oral outpours in the morning far outweigh their physical beauty to some. Maybe these lorikeets need some SHL5'ing.