Thread: I downsized from M40.1 > C7ES3 ... still very happy

Default I downsized from M40.1 > C7ES3 ... still very happy

I had to downsize my system six months ago due to money issues so sold my beloved Harbeths 40.1 and Graaf amp and bought some used 7es2, Musical fidelity FB1 pre amp and Quad 909 power amp for a quarter of the price that I sold the previous........this is a cracking system that cost me 1500.....So if anyone has small funds but is after a premium sound it is out there....in a nutshell Harbeth speakers are incredible no matter what product

Scott

Default So true! Harbeth are incredible

Quote Originally Posted by scottc1968 View Post
    ..this is a cracking system that cost me 1500.....So if anyone has small funds but is after a premium sound it is out there....in a nutshell Harbeth speakers are incredible no matter what product
    I couldn't agree more. Besides the new C7s (yeah!), everything else in my system is used and sounds great.

Default C7ES3 worth the price v. C7ES2?

Did you get the C7ES2 or the C7ES3?

After reading all of the posts, it seems to me that the sound upgrade from the ES2 to ES3 is huge due to the latest crossover designing software and the new RADIAL2 woofer. I am in the market to get a pair of C7 and still thinking should I get the ES2 or the ES3 since the price is double!

Does it worth the price?

Default Just by C7ES3

Don't think about it - buy the C7ES3. The sound justifies the price and they will be with you for many years after the price has faded from your memory.

Default Buy for the long term

I agree with Dave. If you can part with the money, get yourself the C7ES3 with the mind set that they will be with you for a very long time. That's what I did and I'm glad I made this choice. Spring is around the corner and you can open up your windows and play some music for your neighbors.

Default C7ES3 or SHL5...

Thanks for you inputs! I have been thinking about it very hard for the last few days and kind of make up my mind to move forward with Harbeth.

As I look closer to my AV room, I am able to go all the way to get the SHL-5 and replace the B&W 801M Anniversary Edition that I am currently using. I have heard both side of the story as some of the HUG members claimed that the SHL-5 sounds fuller on the bottom and more revealing on the top due to the super tweeters, but this compromise the mid range as compared to the C7ES3.

Any experience on this observation?

Default Either will give a quality jump

You are coming from the other brand you mentioned so either pair of Harbeth can really give you a huge jump in term of quality and musicality in sound.

I agree the SHL5 is fuller on bottom but not the more revealing top and different mid compared to C7ES3. The true differences between the two, to my ear only, is the C7ES3 (also all the old models are similar but not better to) midrange presentation is more dense or some say "tighter" compared to the SHL5 which midrange is loose or I think better term is "relax". Some comment the 7 sound is presence and some comment the 5 sound is "magical". I say both is magical, presence and the 7 sound tighter and the 5 sound more relax (by comparison). Both high is excellent but depend on what kind of music and presentation you are looking for.

The super tweeter do really let some instrument sound more obvious in the high, say drum cymbal or steel string acoustic guitar, than C7ES3 but that does not mean the C7ES3 can not reveal that sound but it may appear less "obvious" if you play them side by side. In practical usage, when just listen only 1 pair of speaker, either one is excellent. Even the C7ES3 do not go as low as the SHL5 but it is enough to play music with weight and authority. steveinaz‎ wrote a nice impression regarding the bass of the C7ES3 you may take a look.

I have both 7 (older model thought) in room at Malaysia and 5 in hall at Singapore with same LFD brand amp and same Marantz brand cd player for both. When I enjoying either pair of them I do not miss another pair. Both is excellence and truly amazing music interpretor.

However, you should try to listen both pairs and decide.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Solid & natural

The C7ES and SHL5 are both excellent speakers by any standards. Because of the larger box, the SHL5 delivers more bass and the super-tweeter conveys the sparkle and air present on good recordings but I wouldn't say the mid-band is any 'compromise'.

The mid band is solid, natural and with great prescence, making most other brands sound thin and anaemic.