Thread: Already own M30, need a new setup. c7, shl5 or another m30?

Question Already own M30, need a new setup. c7, shl5 or another m30?

Hello everyone,
    I have really enjoyed reading this forum for a while and finally I came out with my first post.I am a proud owner of M30 speakers combined with a Rotel 1520 cd and integrated amp. This is my first HI FI setup. I must say that I am rediscovering all my music. I really enjoy jazz and bossa nova coming out from these speakers. I am happy being able to listen for hours without my head telling me to turn the music off. I may upgrade electronics in the future but it is not an issue to me now.
    Due to my job I live 6 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina (where I have the M30) and 6 months in Barcelona, Spain (where I wish to build a new setup).
    As I said I am really happy with my M30 but I feel buying another pair for Barcelona won't be too smart. Maybe I can taste other harbeth speakers ( M40 is out of the question since I don't have the room for that. Also don't have the budget now) I am mainly interested in the C7 and SHL5 . I will audition them both in Barcelona(where I bought the M30 at Stylesound which is a dealer I highly recommend if you are in Spain) by the end of this month.

My room is 25 square meters and not very well acoustically treated (I mean it is my living room, not a special room only for music)
    My question is what should I pay attention to when I audition them? How can I separate one speaker to the other?

I am asking for some advise from more experience ears than mine. I want to know where should I concentrate when I listen to each one. I will also have the M30 near in case I want to remind their sound while I audition the other two. I still have the option of buying another M30

Thanks for your help in advance!
    Guillermo.

Default M30 or SHL5?

In my opinion, a SHL5 will sound better in a somewhat bigger room, if the room you are listening in now is not well-treated. I would again go for the M30, but it is all highly subjective.

Default Blind listening?

Thanks for your quick reply garmtz, I totally understand what you mean and I also concern about SHL5 being too much for my room. That is why I will audition the speakers in similar room conditions as mine. This dealer in Spain has two rooms: one perfectly treated and another one recreating a normal living room situation (rug, sofa, other furniture, some other speakers and not many other things)
    What I want to understand is where should I put my "eyes" when I audition. In which aspects they differ the most.

TKS

Default You decide .... consider your room

The are more alike than different. The M30 might have a bit more prominence in the 2-4 k area (the 'presence' area), maybe being a little more flat there, the SHL5 is a bit more subdued (at least in my room in which I did some measurements). They will differ in the mid to low frequencies, where the SHL5 will interact a bit more with the room in this area. This can color the sound a bit more than with the M30 in the same room.

Default C7 v. SHL5

Quote Originally Posted by garmtz View Post
    The are more alike than different. The M30 might have a bit more prominence in the 2-4 k area (the 'presence' area), maybe being a little more flat there, the SHL5 is a bit more subdued (at least in my room in which I did some measurements). They will differ in the mid to low frequencies, where the SHL5 will interact a bit more with the room in this area. This can color the sound a bit more than with the M30 in the same room.
    With the C7 you think I will have the same problem with the bass as with the SHL5? or you consider it more "forgiving" in that area as you suggest the M30 would be?

C7 vs M30 you suggest M30m right?
    thanks for your advice....

Default I vote for M30

Quote Originally Posted by GuillermoA View Post
    With the C7 you think I will have the same problem with the bass as with the SHL5? or you consider it more "forgiving" in that area as you suggest the M30 would be?

C7 vs M30 you suggest M30m right?
    thanks for your advice....
    The C7 is more forgiving of both placement and a little more forgiving with modest electronics than the SHL5. But for me, the M30 betters the C7 in the areas I value most, but it can be the other way around for other people. I like the more direct, dynamic sound of the M30 and its very well-integrated treble, but it is a little more difficult in matching with modest equipment than both the C7 and SHL5.

Default Audition planned

I Appreciate your help. I will try to audition the 3 of them by the end of Feb and make a decision.
    Thanks again!