Thread: Just placed an order...

Default Just placed an order...

Hi All,

I just wanted to share my excitement at having just placed an order for a pair of P3ESRs.

I can't remember how I first learned of Harbeth loudspeakers, but a quick visit to the website and the HUG and I was hooked. Although I don't always understand it, I like technical detail. Here is a manufacturer that shares every detail of their philosophy, history, design and manufacturing process and I love that. I watched all of Alan's videos, read every news letter and I'm a regular lurker in the HUG. It doesn't matter whether you're planning to buy Harbeth speakers or not, there's a gold mine of practical and down to earth information about speakers and audio reproduction here.

I read every review of the P3ESR I could find, even if they were a bit 'samey'; high praise was unanimous! I felt pretty confident these were the speakers for me without even listening to them (Alan's confidence in his philosophy inspires confidence!), but this is likely a life long purchase and a significant one at that, so I thought I had better give them a listen.

I wandered into KJ West One, London, one morning unannounced and luckily they already had a pair of P3ESRs set up for audition. After a quick chat they kindly let me take a seat on the sofa and left me to it. I picked Charles Mingus, Get It In Your Soul, as the first track and I knew after about 30 seconds that I would be more than happy with these speakers. Natural, lush, detailed and amazing sound stage (I'm exclusively a headphone listener so I was particularly blown away by the soundstage).

After several months of disciplined saving I called up KJ West One last week and placed my order.

To complement the speakers I've gone with the Naim Nait XS integrated amplifier and Skylan SKY 2P 27 stands. Interconnects and speaker cable are the high quality but sensibly priced and down-to-earth offerings from Blue Jeans Cable.

My primary source is a Rega RP3 turntable.

I can't wait :-)

Default Interconnects

Congrats on your new P3's. I know it's not the position of this site but I must say it anyway. I've owned a bunch of different interconnects and presently own quite a few. The Blue Jeans interconnects are the worst I've ever owned. I have a pair now and they sound dreadful no matter where I use them. I use their speaker cable in my home theater as is a bit better and affordable.

A very good but affordable interconnect that is recommended by many Naim dealers and the distributor here in the US is the Chord Crimson. It's much better than the Blue Jeans is a good match for the Naim with Harbeth speakers. Enjoy your new speakers.

Default Advice breeds anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Art K View Post
    I know it's not the position of this site but I must say it anyway. I've owned a bunch of different interconnects and presently own quite a few. The Blue Jeans interconnects are the worst I've ever owned. I have a pair now and they sound dreadful no matter where I use them.
    Art:

I'm sure that was well-intentioned advice, but unless jr_41 is made of sterner stuff than I am, I'm afraid he's now going to have trouble enjoying his system until he swaps cables. Let's hope it's not so, or that he can at least do a side by side comparison before he splashes out on further expenditures.

Default Read up here

Quote Originally Posted by jr_41 View Post
    I can't wait :-)
    While you are waiting, I suggest you spend some time reading the material in the forum on the interconnect and speaker cable subject, so that you are able to get some input that may be useful.

Default Cable isn't a big deal

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Personally, cable isn't a big deal to me. I just want something which is good quality and isn't going to obviously limit my investment. I already use Blue Jeans interconnects in my headphone system, I bought them to swap out the very budget interconnects I was using previously. They provided an improvement which I'm happy with.

Default Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by jr_41 View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Personally, cable isn't a big deal to me. I just want something which is good quality and isn't going to obviously limit my investment. I already use Blue Jeans interconnects in my headphone system, I bought them to swap out the very budget interconnects I was using previously. They provided an improvement which I'm happy with.
    Hi jr_41

Very good decision on the P3s. I have just bought a pair and installed them into my system and the music is just great. Cables are very much a subjective decision and just trust your ears.

Re placement etc just follow advice in the User Guide which comes with the speakers.

Lastly, these speakers are very amp friendly (even with my little flea watt)

R's

Paolo

Default Enjoyment impaired?

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Art:

I'm sure that was well-intentioned advice, but unless jr_41 is made of sterner stuff than I am, I'm afraid he's now going to have trouble enjoying his system until he swaps cables. Let's hope it's not so, or that he can at least do a side by side comparison before he splashes out on further expenditures.
    The Blue Jeans cables are excellent. A few years ago I bought a pair to try... Compared them to my expensive cables and that was the beginning of the end of wasting money on cables. I could not hear much difference between the bluejeanscables and my Kimbers... And even though there was a slight difference, depending on the recording it could have gone either way.

I ended up selling all my fancy cables and replaced them blue jeans cables and put the quite significant amount of money saved into my "next Harbeth speaker" fund.

Default Pictures to follow ....

Thanks Will and paolo.

When they've arrived and I've got them setup I'll post a few pics (though that could be a little while as I'm moving flat this month too :-S).

Default Pictures ...

Default New home for P3's

Nice! Hey that's impressive to move to a new place to accommodate a new set of Harbeths! ;) Hopefully your new home is as nice as your new P3s...

Have fun with 'em!

Default Thanks

Thanks Cornelius :-)