Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harbeth C7ES3 with Leben integrated amp - too smooth

Default "Americans"

That is because "Americans", may care more about what they like, than what others think about their lack of taste or sophistication.

Default Hiding your identity and ketchup

Quote Originally Posted by Drdennis View Post
    That is because "Americans", may care more about what they like, than what others think about their lack of taste or sophistication.
    From tube amps to ketchup. Truly, the HUG has something for everyone.

Seriously, though, I would not like to see a "U.S. vs. Them" dialogue develop. Hi Fi Dave did not say all Americans ask for ketchup in fine restaurants, and I would also venture to say that some Americans do want to be considered sophisticated. (It's fine to like what you like, but some understanding of local culture is good too, as well as being good manners.)

As evidence of the latter proposition, I offer the fact that are numerous blogs and posts on the Internet - most apparently American in origin - on how to avoid looking too much like an American tourist in Europe. Here's one, which offers some practical advice on the ketchup issue among other things (scroll down to the heading "Food"):

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Looking...erican-Tourist

Default Americans in Paris

One of my favorite scenes in a film is from European Vacation. For their visit to Paris, Chevy Chase bought berets for his family so they would not look like American tourists.

Default Ketchup - the vital element?

Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence with the 'ketchup' remark and I have altered it to 'some'.

Don't get me wrong, I love America and American food, especially the steaks but it does amuse me to see some diners in high quality restaurants, dousing their food in ketchup.

Default The Brits are just as bad

Quote Originally Posted by EricW View Post
    Seriously, though, I would not like to see a "U.S. vs. Them" dialogue develop. Hi Fi Dave did not say all Americans ask for ketchup in fine restaurants, and I would also venture to say that some Americans do want to be considered sophisticated.
    There are plenty of Brits drowning perfectly good meals in brown sauce too - it's a silly finger to point.

{Moderator's comment: .... not to mention peas drowned in gravy and deep fried Mars bars ....}

Default Stick to audio?

There are a million opportunities to post ridiculous opinions and boorish generalizations on other websites. On this community board, can we please stick to audio?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12