Thread: Audiobooks - story tellling by spoken word

Default Audiobooks - story tellling by spoken word

I am an avid collector of audiobooks. Charity shops have piles of them which as a twin-cassette sell for about GBP1 or so. The technical quality is perfectly adequate - what matters is the story and the narration. I often drive about playing an audiobook and they've opened my ears to literature I never studied as a boy and would never have the time to read now. First class narration using the expressive potential of the voice for characterisation, accents, pauses, emphasis is, for me, top of the entertainment tree.

Do you have any favourites? I stumbled across an audiobook last week that I'd not seen in print. Indeed, I'd not heard of the modern author. But from the first sentence I was hooked. Imagine my horror when, ending side four on a cliff-edge I realised that the two cassettes I have are only and and two of six - they've become separated from the other two boxes. Mad scramble to Amazon to order the complete set - luckily in stock.

Do you listen to audiobooks on cassette or CD? Any favourites either of narration of the actual story itself? I'd be very interested in a list of great tapes/CD audiobooks here - maybe even swapping them between us?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Any favourites either of narration of the actual story itself? I'd be very interested in a list of great tapes here - maybe even swapping them between us?
    Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is superb.

Consciousness, conservation, man's place in the cosmos, quantum physics, missing cats, Coleridge, Bach and an Electric Monk.

Three hours of pure bliss.