Thread: Harbeth & Mc Intosh: How do they work together?

Default Harbeth & Mc Intosh: How do they work together?

Hello,
    I have a pair of Harbeth C7 ES3. There is someone who experienced the marriage between Harbeth loudspeakers and McIntosh integrated amp (not tube)? If yes, please tell me your opinion.
    Thank you
    Gianfranco

Dear Gianfranco
    Congratulations on your C7s.
    May I respectfully direct you to Alans' advice:

'... the selection of an amplifier should, in our view, be based primarily on pragmatic issues of its durability and longevity, styling, features and facilities, brand reputation, technical specification (power, hiss etc.) and after-care service back-up until such times as the claimed night-and-day 'sonic differences' can be validated as real, not illusory under non-sighted, controlled listening tests. If 'sonic differences' can be positively identified under controlled conditions then, obviously, they should be added to the list somewhere'.

Hello Gianfranco,

I tried my beloved P3ESR with some of my Mcintosh power amplifier (MC 2505, MC 2125, MC 2205). They worked and sounded very well together. I took always the 8 Ohm taps from the power amps. Very good match indeed.

Bye

Martin

Hello Gianfranco - I use the Compact 7ES-3 with McIntosh C22 preamp and MC275 power amp and cannot imagine wanting to change the setup one bit. The one thing I fiddled with quite a bit initially was the choice of DAC. I tried several, but settled on the QB-9 DAC from Ayre Acoustics. It's hard to describe just how much enjoyment that system gives me. To my ears, it is about as good as it gets.

That said, one thing that always surprises me about the Harbeths is that they sound good with any amplifier, something I've found is not the case with all loudspeakers. My high efficiency full-range speakers, for example, seem especially persnickety about amplifiers, while the Harbeths are happy with just about anything all the way down to my DIY chip amp.