Thread: On line article about P3ESR on InnerFidelity

Default On line article about P3ESR on InnerFidelity

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harbeth-p3esr

With 2 gross mistakes on Page 1:

- a 5 inch Radial2 carbon-fiber/bextrene/polypropylene composite woofer
    - Alan Shaw, a former BBC research engineer

{Moderator's comment: as you say, both details wrong. That's because we were not asked to verify the journalists writing. We rarely are.}

Default Too many screws ....

why the small P3 still need so many screws.. imo it is quite Unpleasant to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    ...why the small P3 still need so many screws.. imo it is quite Unpleasant to look at.
    And what would your suggestion be I wonder?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Keep the grille on...

why the small P3 still need so many screws.. imo it is quite Unpleasant to look at.
    You're not meant to see the screws - the grille is supposed to stay in place as part of the voicing.

Default Reduce the screws

OK, alright with a grille

my suggestion is at least powder-coating to match the veneer; if not reducing the no of screws?

Default Everything has a reason (baffle screws)

OK, alright with a grille

my suggestion is at least powder-coating to match the veneer; if not reducing the no of screws?
    I can't recall a comment about screws in the past 25 years so this is a new one for me!

Basically, the front and rear panels of the box must be removable. This is for acoustic reasons, to create 'lossy joints'. Believe me this is the most expensive, difficult and labour intensive way to build a speaker cabinet. You would have to be either completely bonkers to throw money at such a cabinet or ..... actually believe that it was the best acoustic choice.

If you can devise a way of securing the baffle/back for a 20 years service life in all temperatures with total confidence that neither will drop out, then be quick and patent it! Then tell me how to do it!

There is one extremely important point to remember: Harbeth speakers are not throw-away consumer durables, they are capital equipment built to be serviceable. And as with all capital equipment, functionality is the dominant design goal, not prettiness.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Grille on!

Interestingly enough, when looking to buy a set of speakers a while ago, the Harbeth's always seemed to be shown with the grills removed, and my sentiment was the same...however, as I studied my choices for speakers, it became obvious to me that taking the grill off was just another "idea" driven from the demented knowledge of *audiophiles*...I quickly realized after my research on the HUG site that the speakers are designed so that the grille remains; and frankly, they look wonderful that way, capital equipment or not...
    George

Default A HUG member corrects some errors in the review

I was quite irritated by the errors in the InnerFidelity online review, so posted some corrective comments in the section at the bottom of their review under the name 'Swisslad'. Disinformation is easily spread and as HUG members we should seek to make sure these kind of errors are corrected as much as we can.

Have a look at my comments. I think I've straightened things out a bit.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harbeth-p3esr

Default Traditional values ....

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    If you can devise a way of securing the baffle/back for a 20 years service life in all temperatures with total confidence that neither will drop out, then be quick and patent it! Then tell me how to do it!
    This statement really gels for me. The world should go back to this type of design/manufacturing principles. The buy and throw away attitude is so wrong. Our 3 year old PS3 died the week before when we inserted the first game in 3 years. $160 to fix vs $270 for a completely new PS3. ???!!!

Sadly, I type this post on an iPad where the battery cannot be replaced....

Default Grilles on by default

Quote Originally Posted by Macjager View Post
    Interestingly enough, when looking to buy a set of speakers a while ago, the Harbeth's always seemed to be shown with the grilles removed, and my sentiment was the same...however, as I studied my choices for speakers, it became obvious to me that taking the grille off was just another "idea" driven from the demented knowledge of *audiophiles*... I quickly realised after my research on the HUG site that the speakers are designed so that the grille remains; and frankly, they look wonderful that way, capital equipment or not...
    George
    ...the demented knowledge of 'audiophiles'. I like that way of putting it...