Thread: Another Nice Review - P3ESR

Default Another Nice Review - P3ESR

Here's another positive review of my favorite speaker:
    http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harbeth-p3esr

Default The finest mini!

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. The P3ESR is IMHO the finest mini monitor to have graced the hifi world thus far.

Default BBC researcher?

Although Mr Shaw in my opinion never was a BBC researcher or am I wrong?

Default Facts - what are they?

They didn't fact check very well, before posting the article.

Default Lazy journalism and baseless opinion - still he liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by cornelius View Post
    They didn't fact check very well, before posting the article.
    I posted a load of corrections in the comments section at the bottom of the review, under the name of 'Swisslad'. The journalism was rather lazy IMO. Guttenburg's questioning of the P3's treble extension not being upto scratch was absurd coming from a reviewer who is over 40 years old and therefore wouldn't be able to hear whether the speaker had a curtailed treble response - which it doesn't anyway. He also goes on to explain how surprised he was at how good the P3ESR was, even though he is a serious audiophile and the P3ESR is only a desk-top mini-monitor - which it isn't.

I don't know how these people get away with such shoddy, unprofessional reviews full of unsupported senseless drivel.

But at least he liked the P3ESR, eh?

{Moderator's comment: thanks to the internet, everyone can be a speaker expert.}

Default Falling review standards?

Well done for correcting that write up. They deserve a bit of stick.

Unfortunately, it's very common for on-line and Hi-Fi magazines to have mistakes. I believe the magazines are even worse in this respect and I rarely read a write up or review which doesn't have mistakes, including numerous spelling mistakes. Maybe it's because they rush them into print without proper checking and verification by the manufacturer, or just falling standards ?

Default Sloppy journalism and 'hifi-like' sound?

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Well done for correcting that write up. They deserve a bit of stick.

Unfortunately, it's very common for on-line and Hi-Fi magazines to have mistakes. I believe the magazines are even worse in this respect and I rarely read a write up or review which doesn't have mistakes, including numerous spelling mistakes. Maybe it's because they rush them into print without proper checking and verification by the manufacturer, or just falling standards ?
    Agreed David.

It also irks me when I read reviews which say things like "doesn't sound like a hifi speaker " or refers to "hifi-ish" sound. What exactly that means isn't ever explained convincingly. A well designed loudspeaker either delivers full bandwidth with as flat a response as possible or it doesn't, in which case I wouldn't describe it as "accurate". Of course, this depends upon listening levels as human hearing/perception and psychoacoustic response are a little more complex to fathom, especially when age and hearing changes are accounted for.

I think that what many journalists describe as "hifi-ish" sound is the modern trend by some manufacturers to create a lift in the upper mids and treble, to voice their 'speaker designs for better off-axis response. This tends to have a greater initial impact on the casual listener in terms of perceived detail and stereo separation (I call it the "fireworks" response) but also tends to be fatiguing on extended listening. If that's what the journalist in that article meant, then he's welcome to his "hifi-like" 'speakers!

Default Overly bright speakers?

When you listen to a system, it either sounds like music, or it sounds like components... I've thought of the hifi-ish sound as ''boom and sizzle''. Kind of a home theatre experience, nothing one can get lost in the music in, or be exposed to for extended periods...

On another forum, a listener complained of listener fatigue when he listened to CDs, vs LPs on his system. People were chiming in to recommend replacing his DAC, cables, even the little feet that his CD player sits on...

I have to guess that someone was enticed by overly bright speakers in a showroom...