Thread: Question about stands for Harbeth SHL5

Default Question about stands for Harbeth SHL5

About the Stands I want to ask if is better light or heavy stands.

Have I to put SHL5 directly on the stands or is it better to put it on three points or blu tack ?

thanks

Default It's a personal choice

Hi, Sibelius, light or heavy is probably more a question of visual preference. I prefer heavy (filled Skylan stands) at its more stable. Whats important is getting the correct height.

Also don't use blu tack as it can pull of the veneer if your not carful. best to use non tacky 'dots' such as rubber or cork.

Speaker directly on stands is fine but may mark the bottom of speakers. A small piece of cloth would help.

Default So many opinions, many contradictory

Hi Sibelius,

There are many discussions on this subject on the HUG and almost as many opinions. I suggest you have a look to this section of the forum "Stands and mounting discussion". You will find plenty of information.

Usually, users agree on the fact that the main tweeter be place at ear level when listening to music. Plus, the stand must be stable and safe. After, there are many choices from a cheap DIY cardboard stand like I have since two years with excellent results to a $1000 USD stand.

You will find that some people don't put anything between their stands and their speakers, others put some small pieces of rubber or different materiel but blu-tack may domage the finish of your speaker when you'll try to remove it. I suggest that you tried many combinations and listen then decide which one you prefer.

Sébastien

Default Something Solid

Best stands I have found are the Something Solid XS, a light, rigid, open frame on which thje speaker sits on carbon fibre pucks.

Default Ligth, stiff, inert

Light and stiff and non-ringing... Best I have tried (and not too expensive) are Skylan (filled about 1/2 - 3/4 with kitty litter) and open frame stands from Custom Design (filled with sand just until in doesn't ring anymore)

Default Italian stahnds (heavy)

Hello everyone, these are the stands that I bought, built by an Italian craftsman. Really heavy.

prodotti_modelli_su_richiesta_foto_2.jpg

I'll try the tips directly under the speaker (as many in Italy recommended) and then without. Sorry for my English, I know only the German and French.

{Moderator's comment: BE CAREFUL about suing BluTak or similar. When you try to remove it IT CAN RIP-OFF THE VENEER.}

Default Nice looking stands.

Those look great. Please post a pic (a little larger if possible) once you have your SHL5s on them.

Default The dangers of BluTak after many months/years

{Moderator's comment: BE CAREFUL about using BluTak or similar. When you try to remove it, IT CAN RIP-OFF THE VENEER.}

ahhh .... ok, thanks. Already removed.

Default Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
    Those look great. Please post a pic (a little larger if possible) once you have your SHL5s on them.
    Hello S.P., with pleasure, as soon as possible..