Thread: Harbeth SHL5 new owner :) I have everything I need now for *music*

Default Harbeth SHL5 new owner :) I have everything I need now for *music*

Hello everyone. I've recently bought my new and already very loved Harbeth SHL5 speakers in cherry finish.Let me introduce myself . My name is Milos, I am from Serbia, Belgrade. I am 24 years old and I am journalist by profession . Music has always played very important role in my life. I listened to music from my PC for a long period of time. I was happy with that and Logitech speakers, but than I got for a gift integrated amp and some AR speakers, it was more joyful experience when listening to the music than PC.

Than I got into the world of hi fi and had pretty decent system until 2 months ago. Than I got Naim nac 172xs(pre amp and streamer), chord signature cables(got them from a brother) and Naim NAP 155xs. And of course the component that I love the most, Harbeth Super HL5 speakers. I listen to all types of music and they are perfect all rounders. Mostly I listen to electronic music, and tough I heard some user opinions that they are not very good at that sort of music, I am more than happy with their performance. Bass is tight, clear and deep.

I am not good at "audiophile", terms, but I enjoy music in its core. Music fills my room, it is in the middle, voices (especially women which I prefer) are natural, gentle and perfect to my ears . That is what I was looking when I wanted to buy speakers, that I can just enjoy music, that they are not fatiguing, and forget about everything, hi fi amps, speakers, stress, bad day with my girlfriend, and just listen and relax. And of course share love of music with all people that I love, sit with them, play some music, and talk, sharing good times . Also they really fit incredibly good in my room, I like the old look that they have, just looking at them relaxes me .Soon I will post pictures of my system.

I wish you all to just enjoy music and not to think about upgrades, cables. You have everything that you need right now,music in the first place, and in the second music that your Harbeths incredibly produce .

Default Speaker/floor isolation

Hi Milos, greetings from Athens, wish you all the best and enjoy the Harbeth sound for many many years to come! A small tip for the summer coming: Isolate the speakers from the floor as much as you can, on their stands of course. When you listen to electro, or abient, or new age, these babies -although their typical measures present a normal bass bottom to about 40Hz- will surprise you with their bass depth and slam. So, when removing the floor carpets, this bass room filling effect will probably become too big... And start thinking about a turntable... Vinyl has come back, it drives us back to a magic world of naturally reproduced sound, and surely is the most affectionate partner of Harbeths!
    Cheers, Thanos

{Moderator's comment: thread forked and vinyl discussion is here:}

Default Wecome to natural sound!

Quote Originally Posted by MilosM View Post
    Hello everyone. I've recently bought my new and already very loved Harbeth SHL5 speakers in cherry finish.Let me introduce myself . My name is Milos, I am from Serbia, Belgrade... I am not good at "audiophile", terms, but I enjoy music in its core. Music fills my room, it is in the middle, voices (especially women which I prefer) are natural, gentle and perfect to my ears . That is what I was looking when I wanted to buy speakers, that I can just enjoy music, that they are not fatiguing, and forget about everything, hi fi amps, speakers, stress, bad day with my girlfriend, and just listen and relax. And of course share love of music with all people that I love, sit with them, play some music, and talk, sharing good times . Also they really fit incredibly good in my room, I like the old look that they have, just looking at them relaxes me .Soon I will post pictures of my system.

I wish you all to just enjoy music and not to think about upgrades, cables. You have everything that you need right now,music in the first place, and in the second music that your Harbeths incredibly produce .
    That's really kind feedback. Welcome to the Harbeth world and real music! Do let us have some pictures of your set-up.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Thanks for unbelievably good product!

Thank you Thanos and Alan for warm welcome. And I also want to thank you Alan... Your passion, effort, dedication and love that you give for creating this really special speakers. When I saw where your factory is located, when I heard some of your speeches, and read user opinions about Harbeth speakers, and even even when I found out what Harbeth name means, all that got me to try your speakers as soon as possible :-) And when I did audition them, all that stories make sense.

Harbeth speakers definitely have soul. I was really touched by them, and it is the only part of audio equipment that I instantly fell in love with. First I heard P3ESR and it is really great speaker for its size. Dealer told me that whenever someone audition some far more expensive speaker and after that hear P3ESR, they always tell "Hey , this sounds better".

I don't trust audio reviewers very much, there are plenty of paid reviews, they are often uninformed about product, etc...Satisfied users, love for what you do, dedication, very few people who sell their Harbeths, smile on your face, and most importantly , unbelievable product - best marketing. Cheers Alan, keep on smiling :-)

Default Smallest, cheapest and most musical!

Hi MilosM,

Welcome to Harbeth & HUG. Harbeths are meant for truly discerning music lovers as opposed to the regular or typical audiophiles who are looking for anything & everything but not music & do not want to get out of the never ending upgrading game. Yes the P3ESR is a little marvel of a speaker & when i was at the Malaysian hifi show in 2010 & 2011, i thought they were the most tonally correct & musically satisfying speaker there despite it being the smallest & perhaps cheapest spk in the whole show!

Enjoy your SHL-5. Like any other Harbeths, they just deliver music in its most uplifting, natural & purest form.