Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adjusting room sound using DSP (not damping)

Default Dpa

hi,

yes, i use the lyngdorf DPA-1 preamp (including room perfect) feeding an electrocomapniet AW250-R amp and my M40.1. for me the room correction is simply the BEST tuning device in hifi-business. you will no longer think about cables or other negligibilities. in my (somewhat difficult) room the lyngdorf allows for 31 Hz (-2dB) without any frequency artifacts.
    given the very cheap prices for lyngdorf stuff it is simply a must for any critical room.
    btw: i just saw that mc intosh now released a room equalizer with lyngdorf technology (costing double the price as lyngdorf here in germany)...

the only "problem" with the lyngdorf i can think of is: if you are a hardcore analogue user you might (more psycologically) have a problem with the d/a conversion of analogue signals.

best,
    delgesu

Default TACT room correction & how to interpret graphs

I have just purchased a second hand Tact 2.0 RCS and am about to start on trying to use this in my room with my Harbeth Compact II units. I appreciate what Alan says about the rigour when using any RCS set up and that it is based on a single postion but looking at the TAct at least this does not need to be the case. There is a facility to take average measurement for the main listening position but you can also combine doing measurements from a number of positions then combing them and getting a filter option that optimises the sound averaged for all the positions. Now of course this will be a compromise but as I view using this as something to help with room problems then it should be effective.

There is also the option on the Tact to set up to 20 different filter / adjustment memory settings so you could have one set up for just solo listening one for when there are two sat next to each other and another for when there are a number of people listening (probably not that critically) . each could then be used as needed.
    I am not expecting the Tact to solve all my problems nothing ever does but if I can get it to let the Harbeths just get on with their job then it will be worth it.

If anyone knows of any primer (or even simpler) articles on how to read a signal frequency graph then add some links as I have no problem in admitting I am not that knowledgeable in this area .

Default Fiddling with inter-channel phase ....

A newly joined member says that he has had good results with this DSP room correction system here: http://www.audiovero.de/en/

It seems that they have a demo version?

One thing I have to report about a DSP system I've been experimenting with: the system calculates and introduces an inter-channel time delay of a few thousandths of a second. This significantly changes the quality of voice, 'cleaning it up' etc. etc.. However, if the DPS remains in circuit but this delay is overwritten and set to zero, voice returns to its normal characteristic, and even though the overall speaker/room response remains a flat line (or whatever line you program).

The worrying thing is that the magic effect and definitely audible change is seemingly related to nothing more than the inter-channel phase difference, the ear being astonishingly tolerant of all the normal room's usual sonic lumps and bumps. Was I disappointed ....
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default It really works - free trial

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    A newly joined member says that he has had good results with this DSP room correction system here: http://www.audiovero.de/en/

It seems that they have a demo version?

One thing I have to report about a DSP system I've been experimenting with: the system calculates and introduces an inter-channel time delay of a few thousandths of a second. This significantly changes the quality of voice, 'cleaning it up' etc. etc.. However, if the DPS remains in circuit but this delay is overwritten and set to zero, voice returns to its normal characteristic, and even though the overall speaker/room response remains a flat line (or whatever line you program).

The worrying thing is that the magic effect and definitely audible change is seemingly related to nothing more than the inter-channel phase difference, the ear being astonishingly tolerant of all the normal room's usual sonic lumps and bumps. Was I disappointed ....
    Alan,

I've known Uli Brüggemann for a number of years and his software is not a sham at all.

The easiest way to get an impression is to measure your system in room with the SW you can download for free. Then you send him a couple of pieces of music of your own own choice and he will convolve them for you and them back. You can then compare as you like.

I understand your careful approach to this issue, but beyond the reality that you must re-measure when you make changes in your room I can only say that I find the results I have heard with acourate very impressive.

I have heard acourate applied in a room that was totally unacceptable with lots of hard surfaces and I would not have thought that possible.

I have no financial or other interests in these products except as an enthusiast of good sound.

Greetings from Brussels

Robert

Default Audiolense DSP system

Alan,

I had been used Harbeth M40 for about two years and found its bass was too much in my 20" x 16" listening environment. Eventually, I solved the bass problem by using another room correction software called Audiolense which is very similar to Acourate.
    The sound is still Harbeth sound but the bass problem disappeared and did not bother me anymore. Moreover, the sound is really transparent and has no electronic signature at all.
    It also has time domain correction which makes the sound image very stable and well defined.

I am very happy with the result.

Link: http://www.juicehifi.com/index.html

Default Avr

I see there are some AVR amps with room correction too.
    Maranz/denon use audissey, like the SR5007, Yamaha use his own technology called YPAO.
    Anyone tried them?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123