Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Hi Paul,
    nice photos again. Potential buyer who interested in Eucalyptus finishing should take a look on your photos.
    "Bath in Music"

Hi Tobes, thks for the confirmation. Wow your C7ES2 looks as if its brand new. Very well maintained indeed. Btw, you seem to like Eucalyptus alot since your new C7ES3 is also the same finish. :}

Thanks Gan.
    Those pics were taken for the sale of the ES-2's, wish I could have kept both sets of speakers - but I could not justify it. They were as good as new, the buyer got a bargain.
    Yes, I like the eucalyptus finish best out of the 3 standard finishes....and I could substitute the ES-3's without my 'significant other' being any the wiser!

Default My C7ES3s have arrived .....

My new Harbeth Compact 7es-3 in Tiger Ebony finally found their way home today.

Compared to my old Neat Motive 2's these are in a whole other ballpark. Even when not yet fully broken-in and still housing right on the floor they sound absolutely magic. They are driven by a Naim Nait 5i which takes very good care of them. But eventually i'm thinking of replacing the amplifier. Maybe. Now I just want to listen, listen, listen...

Default My new C7ES3 - absolutely stunned

And for the record. After a couple of hours more music playing. I am absolutely stunned. God almighty. All the music comes alive. This is what it is supposed to sound like.

Default New C7ES3 (well 2nd hand but new to me!)

I thought I'd share my experience of the first month or so of enjoying my new speakers. They have displaced another popular English speaker manufacturer's bookshelf model and I was surprised by the changes.

There was no 'earth shattering moment' - just a certain rightness about the sound. The previous speakers were incredibly detailed and leaning a bit towards the spitty in the treble area.

I no longer listen to loud music. It's just not necessary. At very modest volume these speakers fill the room (it's not a small room) and are very satisfying. With my old speakers I would always turn up the volume a bit when a song I particularly liked came on. This wasn't good for my ears or my neighbors peace. Now I have no urge at all to muck around with volume. That just gets set (quite low) and I just listen to the music and it's great!

I listen to FLAC files streamed from my PC to a Squeezebox Touch, then Naim DAC, 122x, and 150x amplifiers. Couldn't be happier with the result - now just enjoying the music!

bc8436 Guest

Default Thinking about Compacy 7ES-3s .... for movie sound use ....

I'm new to the forums here and currently in the market for a new pair of bookshelf speakers. I'm drawn towards the Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers, having read some fantastic reviews of them but was wondering if they are good speakers for movies? It seems like most of the users here mostly listen to music on their systems, but for me it's about a 50/50 split between movies and music. I imagine the Compact 7s would be great for dialogue-heavy movies, but what about action flicks? Currently, I own a pair of PSB Imagine Bs powered by an Outlaw Audio RR2150.

Thanks for any input. The nearest Harbeth dealer is a good 1.5 hours away and I'd like to know if they are suitable for my needs before venturing out for a demo.

Default C7ES3 for movies

I've had C7 stereo speakers integrated into my HT system for about 6 years (ES2's now ES3's). As you surmise, they are superb with dialogue and music.

Personally I don't really care much for bombastic sound effects - I don't even have a subwoofer - and I've found the C7's to provide perfectly adequate foundation by themselves (driven by a 175W Plinius amp).
    I'm hardly a typical HT user though, I don't even use a centre channel (I think it would compromise the purity of the Harbeths).

For the record - I've recently changed to a lower output 50W tube amp and I'm yet to assess how this effects the C7's grunt in movies.

Bottom line, unless you listen at stupid levels, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the C7's in a HT setup. I suspect you'll find yourself revelling in the truthfulness and quality of the sound.

Default C7ES3 and home cinema - perfect at sensible levels

The suitability of the Compact 7ES-3 in a 'Home Cinema' system depends on the volume levels used. If the volume is sensible eg. loud but not nose-bleeding, you will have no trouble at all and will be able to appreciate the Harbeth sound with music.

Unfortunately, some 'Home Cinema' systems are used at mind bending volume levels and this would require speakers to suit. Don't get me wrong, the Harbeths will go very loud on music but special effects and subsonic bass is a killer.

I find that more and more people are ditching the full surround sound for 2.1, where a pair of speakers are used, augmented by a sub-woof for cinema effects.

Default Movies and classical DVDs on SHL5 ...

I sometimes watch movies on SHL-5 & at moderate volume, they are more than sufficient. I don't really find it necessary to use a subwoofer as the bass has adequate grunt & depth. Watching classical concerts on DVD can be very satisfying on the SHL-5 as well.

bc8436 Guest

Default My media room (and C7ES3)

Thanks for all the input. My media room is rather small, so I never find the urge to really turn up the volume.

I'm going to be running the speakers through the Outlaw Audio RR2150 amp (100W/channel). In my current setup, I have a subwoofer to give me that extra "oomph" during action sequences and when I'm listening to more bass-heavy music such as R&B. So I can always use that with the Harbeths if I desire a bit more bass for movies.

I'll definitely find time to take the drive and give the Harbeths a listen and report back.

Default Compact 7ES3 - more than enough bass

With music and 99% of film output, the Compact 7's have more than adequate bass. It's just when the Dinosaurs stomp around or WW3 takes off that you might need the assistance of a 'good' sub woofer.

Default "Stand buttons"

does anyone have the measurements for the stand buttons for the compact 7 speaker? where they are located? I am making a stand for this model since I have one coming soon, I just need to know where to put the spikes or ball bearings...

Default Position of rubber feet ...

I sure hope someone can post the center location of speakers rubber footing in relation to its bottom corners... can't finish my build until I am sure of the specifications...
    cheers all.

Default Rubber feet

Searching I found that there really is no specific placement for the footing or blu-tak, so I guess I can continue the build.

There certainly isn't on my P3s.
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Default Stand/speaker interface and another warning about BluTak (or similar)

Quote Originally Posted by timber715 View Post
    ... I am making a stand for this model since I have one coming soon, I just need to know where to put the spikes or ball bearings...
    Honestly, I think you are seeking a degree of precision which is way beyond a functionally perfect solution.

Whatever you may have read about cabinet vibrations in or near the cabinet corners (etc. etc.) will be old wives tales, dressed up as scientific fact. Trust me - you can put your couplers (spikes, ball bearings, rubber) wherever you like it will make zero sonic difference. If you want a worthwhile difference then blow your nose, sneeze or cough.

I strongly caution about using BluTak unless you use a really tiny amount - say 3-4 times bigger than a grain of rice. Otherwise you probably will rip the veneer off when you attempt to lift-off the cabinet. The suction effect of the BluTak under compression is so great that the veneer/cabinet joint will fail before the BluTak gives way. As Noel at Skylan recommends, the best way to remove the speaker from a BluTak'd stand is by twisting the speaker left and right to break the BluTak/cabinet bond by tearing the BluTak molecules apart by sheer action.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Giving the speaker stands space to resonate?

Thank you Alan, I first though that the c7es-3 had round dots at the bottom, hence the question. but I saw a picture wherein the bottom was revealed bare. I really have no intention on putting blu-tak and never used the product, and since I don't want any damage on the speakers whatsoever I have revised to use puck type couplers with a smallish contact point. and being a woodworker, I love wood and understand the craftsmanship that goes into building these speaker boxes, and I wouldn't want any blemish on them.

One question Alan, I know you don't really advise spending on high-end stands, but since I am making my own, what do you think about giving the bottom portion of the speaker room to resonate?
    well improvement (hoping) or none, it will be aesthetically be pleasing and should match my rack...

Default Stands and mounting of speakers

Hi Timber,

I took delivery of some new stands yesterday. I took some before and after pics. Tomorrow I'll post my thoughts and pics on the Stands sub forum - you may find it relevant to your question.

Regards, Ben
    Ben from UK. Harbeth P3ESR owner.

Quote Originally Posted by timber715 View Post
    ...One question Alan, I know you don't really advise spending on high-end stands, but since I am making my own, what do you think about giving the bottom portion of the speaker room to resonate? ...
    As we showed in this thread about room acoustics, the entire room is in resonance. Why worry about one tiny interface point (between the speaker and the stands) when you have about 50m2 of room surface area to contend with? When I design the speakers I just plonk them down on a nice slippery surface - no cones, no BluTak, no spikes, no ball bearings .... nothing. Seems to work wouldn't you say?

The two essential points are ....

1) The height of or more accurately, the axis of the tweeter relative to your ear and
    2) The cosmetics, that is, what you prefer in your room

The other factors, I'm just not personally bothered by. A pile of bricks would make effective but ugly stands.

In short, please don't worry about these details - they'll give you a headache and not improve fidelity even 0.001%. Spend the time/money/effort on improving the room's acoustics - that's a far better investment in higher fidelity.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast