Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

A bottle of a good wine does a better job!

Aids in getting more intoxicated with the music.

Quote Originally Posted by Drdennis View Post
    Is that a can of beer on the Rega?
    No Sir, it's a can of meat sauce, just put it their to add weight to the front end of the cd player. With 3 symposium rollerblock series 2 under the cd plus the vodoo power cable, the rear end of the cd has more weight. That's why the meatsauce can. thanks for looking.

{Moderator's comment: ............. }

sweet set-up sweetsound. the luxman looks like it could benefit with a bit of ventilation, or is the cd player used to weigh it down as well. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetsound View Post
    No Sir, it's a can of meat sauce, just put it their to add weight to the front end of the cd player. With 3 symposium rollerblock series 2 under the cd plus the vodoo power cable, the rear end of the cd has more weight. That's why the meatsauce can. thanks for looking.

{Moderator's comment: ............. }
    that ought to put more meat into the music :D sorry can't help it

Hehehe, nice one

Default Listening distance: Compact 7ES-3

Hello all. I'm new here and am learning quite a bit. But one thing I'm still unsure of is listening distance for the Compact 7ES-3. In his "Stereophile" review, Sam Tellig wrote, "In my listening room, I found that the Compact 7ES-3s didn't like to be positioned in the nearfield. Give them at least 8 feet (2.4 meters) from your ears; anything nearer and the treble might be localized at the tweeters."

I'm wondering whether most of you feel this is a good guideline? Or would a slightly closer distance be okay? I see that the Harbeth user guide recommends 3 to 4 meters for a distance of 2.5 meters between the speakers, but I'm not sure whether anything closer would be acceptable. I'm still a prospective (but eager) Harbeth owner and am trying to gather information. Thank you very much.
    -Bob

{Moderator's comment: welcome. I'm sure this has been covered several times with pictures of the actual tiny room the C7ES3 was designed in .... links anyone?}

Default No minimum distance

Hi Bob,

I am using SHL5 and my sitting position is much nearer than 2.4 meter. There are several videos hidden buried somewhere in Alan 's 2200 over posts where you can see even M40.1 placed quite near compared to its size. Please see Compact 7 development stage picture in http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...le-for-my-room post number 6. Notice how small the room is.

ST

Default Listening close-up

Welcome Bob.

Listening position less than 3 meters from the speakers is ok. You have to put the speakers closer to each other also.

Look here:
    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...d-or-1.2m-away

Thank you for the replies and the welcome. I appreciate it.
    -bob

Default C7's are IN!

Looking forward to picking up my new Rosewood C7's on Friday.......

Default C7, one week on. Incredible!

A week with the C7's now and have been rediscovering so many of my old CD's. The balance and dynamics are incredible with a soundstage and seat within the recording session that extends way beyond anything I have had before.

Default C7 v P3

I am listening to my new C7 in the beautiful maple finish. Actually they are my second pair of Harbeth speakers - last year I got a pair of P3 in maple.
    I am driving the C7 with a KingRex digital amplifier with the additional PSU - it sounds marvellous! You really do not need plenty of watts to drive your Harbeths in reasonable volumes.

The difference between the P3 and the C7 is that the C7 has more air around the instruments. You can here exactly what kind of recording venue was used.

I am deeply impressed.

Thank you, Mr. Shaw. A job that could not have been done better.

Default A nonth into my ownership of C7ES3 ...

Quote Originally Posted by opus111 View Post
    I am listening to my new C7 in the beautiful maple finish. Actually they are my second pair of Harbeth speakers - last year I got a pair of P3 in maple. I am driving the C7 with a KingRex digital amplifier with the additional PSU - it sounds marvellous! You really do not need plenty of watts to drive your Harbeths in reasonable volumes.

The difference between the P3 and the C7 is that the C7 has more air around the instruments. You can here exactly what kind of recording venue was used.

I am deeply impressed.

Thank you, Mr. Shaw. A job that could not have been done better.
    My sentiments exactly, a month into the ownership experience. The speakers just sound a lot more relaxed, compared to the earlier (Spendor) S3/5s, which are themselves very good speakers.

The other thing I notice is they sound quite good even from poor positions. I have mine on wheels to be able to roll them out of the way, along the walls. Played from there, the bass is stronger, but the midrange isn't muddied. I have decided to leave them there for parties when critical listening isn't happening anyway, and from out of the way they provide great support for the party. And I don't have to worry about anyone falling over them or bringing them down.

A recent discovery is the world of internet radio stations, accessed via a ipod touch/airport express optical out connection to the DAC - brilliant, and a vast treasure at the fingertips. And as close to hi fi sound as my ears can make out, through the Harbeths.

mbauer Guest

Default Aluminium Tweeters

Hello All,

I have been trying to figure out whether the C7ES3 has a metal tweeter and I have received contradictory information. Can anyone say definitively?

I am currently auditioning Monitor 30s but I am wondering if I should consider the C7ES3.

Thanks.

Martin Bauer

{Moderator's comment: yes, all Compacts right back to the original of 1988 use an aluminium dome tweeter, made by SEAS of Norway. Moderation is not automatic and need human input here when we have time available and depending who is on duty. Please allow 24 hours.}

Default Tweeters in the raw and via a crossover

Hi Bauer,

As far as i know, the C7ES3 uses a SEAS aluminium tweeter from the prestige range whereas the M30 uses another SEAS soft dome tweeter from the Excel range. Both tweeters are very refined, sweet & smooth with totally no trace of sibilance, glare or harshness whatsoever. In fact, the other 2 SEAS aluminium tweeters employed on the SHL-5 & P3ESR are also very sweet, naturally extended & sophisticated. Have a listen to both the C7ES3 & M30. They both have their own charm.

{Moderator's comment: remember you never hear a tweeter *alone*. You always hear it through a crossover (and in combination with a woofer through its crossover). You cannot make any truly valid judgement about a tweeter's native abilities/performance unless you bypass the crossover which as a consumer you can't do.}

Default Agree - tweeetrs + crossover = sound

Yes thanks to Mr Moderator for pointing that out to me.

Indeed, one cannot judge a tweeter's quality by listening to it in isolation. And for that, i would like to once again applaud Alan for his ingenious design on crossovers to ensure a totally seamless transition from the outstanding Radial driver to the tweeter or in the case of the M40.1, from the Harbeth 12" bass driver to the SEAS excel tweeter.

Default McIntosh MA 7000 with Compact 7 ES3

I recently heard the MA 7000 at Singapore driving a JM Lab 806 Cobalt bookshelf speaker and the sound was superb considering the speaker was only $1350 SGD MRP....

Is anybody using McIntosh amplifiers - especially solid state ones with the Compact 7 or other Harbeths and if yes, would you recommend McIntosh or is it a waste of money to spend on expensive amplifiers per Alan Shaw???

Default Ma6900 + c7es3

MA6900 + C7ES3's here and I'm very happy with the sound.

Thanks for responding George....What kind of music do you listen to ? Also at what volume level of the amp is it too loud for you to listen to?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast