Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-3 specific

Default First picture of C7ES3

For the first picture of the new Compact 7ES3, please go to the top of the Harbeth homepage here: http://www.harbeth.co.uk

I don't think you can make simple comparisons across the model range. The SHL5 is quite a bit bigger and can not fairly be compared with a smaller one: each does things slightly differently; there is not one 'best' solution - it depends upon taste, preferences, budget available and room size.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Announcing HL Compact7ES-3

We have now added detail of the new ES-3 model to the Harbeth website. We have good stocks of parts and are able to take your orders now!
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

sonofcolin Guest

Default Re: Harbeth HL Compact7ES-3 specific

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.
    We have now added detail of the new ES-3 model to the Harbeth website. We have good stocks of parts and are able to take your orders now!
    Hi Alan,

I have just read the marketing brief for new ES-3 on the main website and as an ES-2 owner I am intrigued as to the difference in presentation (as I'm sure many others are too). I hope you can indulge me for a few moments with questions about the new design:

1. Is the radial driver completely different or is it just the surround?
    2. The tweeter grill now has an 'unobstructed' view of the listening area. Does that mean the ES-2's grilles are obstructed and should I be removing them for an 'unobstructed' view (I am semi joking here)?
    3. You state that the crossover is the most important change. How much of the sum of the parts is this responsible for the change in presentation (I know it isn't possible to get a quantitative assessment)?
    4. Have you swapped your ES-2's for ES-3's?
    5. Should I swap mine?!
    6. Can you describe the major difference in presentation from your perspective?
    7. Do you have any plots of frequency response comparisons between ES-2 and ES-3?

Default Technical overview of HL Compact7ES-3

OK, I'd like to reply, and hopefully to give an overview that will not lead to lots of needless fears and worries amongst our many users. So here goes:

We are, of course, a commercial business, and we track the sales of individual models with an eye to increasing our overall sales and market share. In this modern world this includes a sensitivity to product life cycles, consumer expectations, manufacturing costs and the march of technology. For example, the software tools we have perfected now are streets ahead of those of ten years ago and dramatically cut the graft of design. They are not any sort of substitute for listening though, but they do allow more time to be spent on that listening and less scratching about in buckets of components looking for the ideal values at 2am.

One overriding comment I would make is that we are acutely aware of our pedigree and we do not take needless risks in product development. The entire HL Compact/Compact 7 family is extremely important to me and close to my heart; it put Harbeth on the road to success. In fact, as I started to unpick the question (as one does every few years) 'just what is it about model xyz that makes it as good as it is' I concluded that any improvements in the Compact 7 would be organic, detail, incremental. The 7ES-2 is a great speaker, but the ES-3 is a tiny bit better. To say that the ES-3 is such a step forward that it's not recognisable as a traditional Harbeth is not credible - and simply not true. But what our customers say is another matter: they seem to really like it.

To answer your questions -

1. Is the radial driver completely different or is it just the surround?

The surround is the biggest change. Don't underestimate the key role that the surround plays though - it has a huge acoustic effect.

2. The tweeter grill now has an 'unobstructed' view of the listening area. Does that mean the ES-2's grilles are obstructed and should I be removing them for an 'unobstructed' view (I am semi joking here)?

My dear chap, you really should know better than to ask such a question! DO NOT CONTEMPLATE REMOVING THE ES-2 GRILLE.

3. You state that the crossover is the most important change. How much of the sum of the parts is this responsible for the change in presentation (I know it isn't possible to get a quantitative assessment)?

The energy disposition is smoother, the phase alignment is better (the crossover frequency is slightly lower, this helps).

4. Have you swapped your ES-2's for ES-3's?

Um. Having sweated for six months on the C7ES-3 day and night what do you think?!

5. Should I swap mine?!

The C7ES-2 is great speaker, as are all Compact 7's. If you have the resources to change your speakers then we'd gladly take your order! Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the music.

6. Can you describe the major difference in presentation from your perspective?

A little more open, a little more up-front, a little more sparkle, a little more air, and much easier to use on shorter stands (the ones that the wives like), a flatter frequency response and an overall involving presentation.

7. Do you have any plots of frequency response comparisons between ES-2 and ES-3?

We don't publish frequency response plots. They convey nothing whatsoever about the sound quality, only sound quantity.

I hope that this will suffice at this time.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

sonofcolin Guest

Thanks Alan. I have put my screwdrivers away!

I listened to the 7-3 a few weeks ago (just perfect), purchased, and will receive shipment (hopefully) tomorrow.

When I audtioned them, I thought they were "too high" on 20" stands (before I read anything from A.S. et al.). I decided that I will fiddle with the height on makeshift props and work from there. More to come.

Dave

Arlequen Guest

Hello Alan ,

I'm Curio Allocchio from Brescia (Italy)
    I'm happy to see you're fine and still on the way to produce masterpieces

Long time passed but I'm still a proud owner of Compact 7ES2
    I can say to be one of your best C7ES tester :-) because my loudspeakers work not less than 6/8 hours every day since year 2000 and never had one problem
    I have the satellite decoder into the preamp so we don't use tv speakers but your HL C7ES so they work so many hours every day .. apart when I listen my Hi-Fi and those are additional working hours :-)
    Unbeliveable .. no one problem! My compliments Alan
    I have lost userID and password of my old subscription into this group .. so I had to subcribe with this nickname .. and here I'm now!
    I'm following since two days your debatings about the new babe C7ES3 .. and I already called our Italian importer Hi-Fi United but they didn't know you have released this new jewel :-( it would be better if you call them and send the new C7ES3 cos I want to buy a pair as soon as possible

I'm happy to see you and so many nice users .. well let's go! :-)

Here thank to the only digital I appreciate , the Digicam , one pic about my listening room and my loved C7ES2

hificafe Guest

Default Where can I buy Compact7ES-3 - veneers available?

Hello,

I'm also very eager to get HL Compact7ES-3. Hope that distributor for Slovenia will have them on stock very soon.

BR,
    Sasa

airdavid Guest

Nice Picture, Curio !!!

ciao,
    david

Celadus Guest

Ciao Curio,

Thnak you, I've received your private message, I'm glad another italian in our group.
    Nice photo but where's the projector? Is that a TV?
    ...Just kidding!
    BTW I've a Sanyo PLV-Z5 projector, a fantastic value for money like the C7, in my system with an HTPC fitted with Lynxstudio L22 professional sound card, Accuphase E-307 amp and of course Harbeth monitor I've never wished a center channel, sub or surround speakers to enjoy a great Home Cinema experience!

Alastair MM Guest

Default HL Compact7ES-3 LF ...

Hi Alan ,
    can you elaborate on the changes at low frequencies ? Are they primarily a result of the port alteration or did the new surround provide low frequency improvements ( which in turn required or allowed a change in the porting ) ?

Alastair

Arlequen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by airdavid
    Nice Picture, Curio !!!ciao, david
    Thanks David & Celadus
    Nice pic sure .. cos I use my loved Fuji S6500FD :-) .. but what can I say about those horrible light yellow cables sleeping on that nice parquet!? Zero W.A.F :-( but they are so good for the C7ES!

Best wishes to Every One

Curio

hificafe Guest

Hello,

if anyone know in which finishes are avaiable this new 7ES-3 model:

cherry, eucalyptus, .... ?

Regs,
    Sasa

Yes: cherry, eucalyptus and to special order Tiger Ebony and Rosenut. That reminds me: I'll be making a thread here about the inevitable variations in colour and features in what is, after all, a completely natural material.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

hificafe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.
    Yes: cherry, eucalyptus and to special order Tiger Ebony and Rosenut. That reminds me: I'll be making a thread here about the inevitable variations in colour and features in what is, after all, a completely natural material.

Thanks Alan,

I've meet today in Ljubljana with Mr. Peter Mezek from Pear Audio to confirm my order for 7ES-3, only what was missing is finish choice.

Well I will wait for your thread to see what is available, but I'm pretty sure that I will take eucalyptus.

BR,
    Sasa

Sasa: Peter is an excellent man who thoroughly understands us at a philosophical and practical level and is highly respected in the industry. I'm sure that you will have a great time together.

Eucalyptus is definitely a special case. Unlike cherry, which is sourced and applied by our cabinet maker, Harbeth directly select, buy and pay for eucalyptus veneer and arrange it's importation and then issue to the cabinet maker. It gives us just that bit more control.

We had a call from the Eucalyptus Marketing Board (of Australia?) a few months ago who asked 'is it really true that you are using our wood for your speaker cabinets?'. Seems it's a one-off!
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Celadus Guest

Hi Alan,

is it possible to order the Teak veneer in Italy? It's my favourite. I'd like a darker color than Cherry or Eucalyptus.

Thanks

Arlequen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Celadus
    Hi Alan,

is it possible to order the Teak veneer in Italy?
    By the moment .. Celadus .. the Hi-Fi United our Italian dealer for Harbeth products doesn't know the existence of this new Alan baby
    I called them last week e quasi manco ricordavano cosa erano le Harbeth
    So it would be interesting to know where we can buy this new C7ES3

Curio

Celadus Guest

Ciao Curio,

I've called Hi-Fi United and tomorrow they will tell me if they have the new model (ho degli agganci se ti interessano posso averle a prezzo scontato).
    However I think they can't have the Teak version if Alan has not shipped it yet.

Curio, do you like the Teak veneer?

Alan, can you build a couple of C7ES3 in Teak and ship it to Hi-Fi United?

Thanks

Lorenzo

Regarding teak: this is a discontinued veneer. It was being taken by Harbeth Japan but they have now switched to cherry.

If we have a pair of teak C7ES2 cabinets in stock we could convert to C7ES3 but this would take time, hence cost more, and the upper two binding post holes would be blanked off (C7ES2 is biwire, C7ES3 is not).

You need to dicuss the whole cost situation with HiFi United first please.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast