Thread: Amplifier for Harbeth P3ESR

Default Amplifier for Harbeth P3ESR

Hi Folks,
    Which amplifier would you recommend and why for Harbeth P3ESR?
    -Octave V40 SE
    -Leben CS600
    -Simaudio Moon 340i
    Thank you.
    Kind regards.

Default Hot choice

heard the Leben CS600 combo. very powerful amplifier with the P3. very nice combo.

i have the CS300 little brother and i could find the CS300 straining to drive the P3.

note: both run extremely hot... anyway they are tube amplifier ... what do we expect

Default Leben?

Dear Coredump,
    Thank you for reply.I think so.Leben will be good match with P3ESR.Especially in small rooms.(like mine-2.5m x 3.0m)I tested Compact 7 with Octave V40SE.(With EL34 tubes)Bass was much boomy for me.Because of my room's dimensions.(I think so.)I think i will go to buy P3ESR and Leben CS600.By the way i wonder Moon 340i(SS) with P3ESR.

Default Best package

I know John Marks of Stereophile was enthusiastic about the CS600, and it is the most attractive of the 3 options. I haven't heard any of them, but of those choices, I would go with the Simaudio because:

1. I can't be bothered with tubes. They're not actually much trouble, but I don't like the excess heat, and don't like having to be mindful of turning it off.
    2. With watts, too much is better than not enough. Although the 32 and 40 watt options should drive the P3ESR fine, I'd take the 100 watt option.
    3. 10 year warranty, at least for North American buyers.
    4. I like the all in one approach, having the DAC and phonostage built in.

But, any of them should work fine. Good luck!

Default Thanks

Thank you for useful information.

Default Audition?

Quote Originally Posted by Tayfun View Post
    Dear Coredump,
    Thank you for reply.I think so.Leben will be good match with P3ESR.Especially in small rooms.(like mine-2.5m x 3.0m)I tested Compact 7 with Octave V40SE.(With EL34 tubes)Bass was much boomy for me.Because of my room's dimensions.(I think so.)I think i will go to buy P3ESR and Leben CS600.By the way i wonder Moon 340i(SS) with P3ESR.
    you mean that you can't listen before purchasing the CS600? i have not hear the Octave nor Moon before auditioning a Octave is not a issue here but not with a harbeth). the CS300 can drive the P3 with the +3dB boost setting. the CS600 would give you a tighter bass / grip / slam whatever you call it at the same volume setting even without the boost setting. CS600 would be the favourable amp

Default Port bung

Thank you Coredump.
    Previously i had mentioned that Compact 7's bass was boomy because of my room being small.If i block the hole of speaker with sponge,would the sound change?

Default Positioning

Thank you Coredump.
    Previously i had mentioned that Compact 7's bass was boomy because of my room being small.If i block the hole of speaker with sponge,would the sound change?
    Perhaps, but it isn't recommended to even remove the grilles. Better would be to give them some space away from the walls/corners, if the room size permits that. If that is possible, my guess is that they will suit any room that the P3s will, and will sound richer. And using tone controls on the amp may also help.

Default Lazy thinking

These "senior blokes" seem to be caught in the past. Just get the beautiful (sounding) P3esr's.....and at the same time buy an inexpensive sub-woofer for about $300 (Definitive Technology Pro 800 found on ebay usa). Then, you DIAL in exactly how much bass you need/want. "PROBLEM SOLVED"!

John Boland, USA boland7214@aol.com

PS: The above is from my OWN experience...not just theory or guessing. Also, if you need amplification, just buy an inexpensive Marantz PM6004 or Rotel RA10 integrated amp ($500 to $700) as reviewed on WhatHiFi.com These integrated amps have a balance control and tone controls. Problem solved....though you will need a little cash!

PPS: If you already have the Compact C7....just put an old rolled up pair of socks into the port hole in the back if there is one. If there is no port hole in the back then get an amplifier with TONE CONTROLS and just turn down the bass to MINUS 6 or something like that. PROBLEM SOLVED AGAIN!

PPS: You'll also need some "good but not overly expensive" speaker cables and interconnects. I'm currently using the LFD Speaker Cables from Dr. Bews ($400 new and $200 used) and Morrow Audio interconnects ($70) I did try out the BULK OFC CABLES that Mr. Shaw seems to LOVE...and found them to be "congested" and "no transparency". These scientific findings were from A - B TESTS based on a SIMPLE ONE VARIABLE TEST FOR "TRANSPARENCY" or "air" around the voice. The methodology is to pick ONE variable, like transparency or "air around a voice" for example..... and put in one cable and listen...then put in the 2nd cable and listen. If you use a voice recording with the voice in the center and the instruments in the back and on both sides----- YOU CAN HEAR IF THERE IS HOLOGRAPHIC"AIR" AROUND THE VOICE OR IF THE VOICE HAS NO "AIR" AND THERE IS NO SEPERATION IN SPACE BETWEEN THE VOICE AND THE INSTRUMENTS. You will either find one is "more transparent" with "more air around the voice" than the other...or "they are both equal." I found the bulk cable, though it did transmit music, it was not as "clear" AND HAD LESS "AIR AROUND THE VOICE" than the slightly more expensive cable. I repeated this test several times. YOU are welcome to repeat the test also.

PPS: Somone up here on this Forum believes that "it is the size and properties of the listening room such as size and room dimensions and wall treatments that is the major element in affecting the sound that you get". This is true to a SMALL degree, of course. BUT, the elements as follows...more than room dimensions and whether you have drapes or foam on the walls....... are what REALLY DOES PRODUCE the quality of the sound: 1) The speaker and how it is engineered, 2) The amplifier and especially if you can adjust the frequency response using TONE CONTROLS ON THE AMP, 3) The speaker cables and interconnects---the materials used in the interconnects and cables and other variables that the majority of people have many times experiened that DO change the frequency responses and level of transparency in the sound---even if the difference is often admittedly subtle, 4) The distance between the speakers and the person listening...closer to the speaker diminishes the importance of room dimensions or size of room or what material is on the walls of the listening room.

In addition, someone on this forum, to remain nameless, suggested in a post about the idea of going to Indonesia to get a "really good listening room with a really good listening experience as he did"! THIS IS NOT USEFUL INFORMATION EVEN IF IT'S EVEN PARTIALLY TRUE! God help us if we all have to move to Indonesia just to hear good sound produced with accuracy in "a supposedly perfect room"! Forget about "wall treatments" or "moving to a larger or smaller listening room".....forget about all that........all VERY EXPENSIVE AND WASTEFUL OF FUNDS THAT CAN BE BETTER USED TO HELP THE HOMELESS PEOPLE or to help people WITH DRUG ADDICTION OR OTHER WORTHY ENDEAVORS WITH WHICH YOU CAN INVOLVE YOURSELF. Save your money and stay in your present dwelling and use your present listening room.......and just buy an integrated amp like the Marantz PM6004 or Rotel RA10 WITH TONE CONTROLS and adjust the bass and treble (and balance) ANY WAY YOU WANT THEM. You'll save TONS OF CASH! Maybe you'll even be able to send your kid to college one day with the money you save by NOT messing around with your listening room! I'm keeping my listening room just the way it is now! You do the same?

Default Thanks

Thank you Kumar Kane

Default Appreciate

Thank you Boland7214

Default Use as intended

Thank you Coredump.
    The sound will most definitely change but not for the better. The speaker was designed and developed with a port and that's the way it should be used.

Default Thanks

You're welcome....appreciation is always....well......appreciated! )

Default Thanks

Dear Boland7214,
    Thanks for attention and answer.I will consider all you said.
    Kind regards.

Default Thanks

Thanks Hifi_dave.