Thread: Which is most suitable for my room?

Bill C Guest

Default Which is most suitable for my room?

Hello,
    My room is 10'X14' with a 7' ceiling. Speakers will be on the long wall about 18" into the room, and about 12" off the side walls. Speakers will be toed in so that the axis crosses slightly in front of the listening position. Listening position is between 6' and 7' from front of each speaker.

I am considering either the SHL5, 7ES-3, or M30. Would either of these be more suitable for my room than the others? I've heard the SHL5 and 7ES-3 so far, and liked them both, but preferred the 5's in my dealers room.

Would they be too large?
    Do any perform better at low volumes than the others? (75w tube amp)
    Are any better than the others in the near field?

Thank you.

Default Re: Which is most suitable for my room?

My experience with the SHL5s leads me to the view that they do much better farther from the rear wall than 18". For that reason alone, I would tend to go with whichever Harbeth puts out the least amount of energy in the bass, unless you're using room correction. Will the dealer let you take each home for a trial listen?

Bill C Guest

Thanks for the reply Ned. I hope to be able to try at least one of the Harbeths at home if possible. I don't really have a bass boom in my room. Actually there seems to be more of a bass suck-out if anything, with my current speakers. How are the 5's at low volume?

Hi Bill, I found the SHL5s to be very listenable at low volumes; the music still had life. Perhaps you'll be ok with the speakers close to the walls. What I did when I had my system in the living room, was to put casters on the bottoms of my speakers (floorstanders, before I got the Harbeths) and just rolled them out into the room when listening and back to the wall when not. Not so easy to do with stand mounted speakers, but if they're not too heavy they could still be moved in and out of the room. But this is all a moot point if you find that you're happy with them close to the walls. Good luck. It's hard to imagine that whichever of the Harbeths you get, you won't be happy with the sound. A.S. really seems to know what speaker design is all about.

Bill C Guest

Thanks for your feedback Ned. Hopefully, I'll get achance to try them out at home. They do look kind of large, but sounded so nice when I auditioned them at the dealer.

Default Listening (and designing) in a very small bedroom ....

I was tidying up my computer archives today and I found this image from May 2006. You may be interested in it. Theoretically and in practice, Harbeth speakers work best when away from the walls, but what if you just can't get them away from the wall? How will they behave in a small room? The answer to this question is fundamental to understanding the Harbeth approach to speaker design, why we do things the way we do.

In the real world we often have to listen in rooms smaller than we would like. At the time I was developing the Compact 7ES3 (in 2005-2006) I didn't have a dedicated listening place as I now do, so all the listening, tuning and adjustment of the C7ES3 (and before that, in an adjacent room, same size) all generation of P3s, M30, SHL5 were designed in a space of about 3m x 3m. The smaller/medium size Harbeths work remarkably well even close to the wall because the clean midband really catches the imagination. Yes, there is extra bass because of the close proximity to the walls but it's even and not overbearing. One remarkable characteristic of all Harbeths is that you can listen to them really close - almost like wearing them as headphones - and they are so superbly smooth and clean that it is very exciting. Most other speakers sound so horrendously colored in their near-field that you have to get as far from them as possible to tame their aggression. In fact, from a design perspective it is much more difficult to design speakers that will be listened to in the near-field, because the close proximity heightens your sense of what sounds right.

Here you can see me on the floor, soldering an adjustment to the crossover following a listening test. You can also see the A-B relay switch-over box which allows me to make instantaneous comparisons between speakers, or different crossover designs.

So - proof positive that Harbeths not only work in 'tight' living spaces but are designed to sound great in them. Obviously, if you have more space they will sound even more enthralling away from the wall, and you sitting a more comfortable distance from them but that's not essential for great sound. You will also recognise from the historic 1960s picture our BBC monitor heritage at the heart of all Harbeth design; listening relatively close, the speaker must sound natural, warm and full with pinpoint stereo and with a seamless transition between drive units. Of course, the M40/M40.1 has more bass power from its 12" woofer, and that ideally does need a bigger room and some air around it.

Our BBC monitor heritage brings you Harbeth speakers that approach speaker design in the traditional way: Harbeths are intentionally optimised during their design process by me to be listened to at sensible, moderate listening levels in small-medium sized real-world rooms with affordable equipment, modest power and to give extreme clarity and a full sound. I don't like loud sounds and I work hard to get the real-life experience, at a normal domestically acceptable level and to protect our hearing. Conversely, contemporary speaker design produces beautiful furniture designed to be listened to only in the far-field (say, 3m+ away) and by implication played loud, demanding a big amplifier and tolerant family and neighbours. Such speaker just do not sound 'right' in the near field: listen to speech for yourself and compare against a natural-sounding Harbeth.

>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Re: Listening (and designing) in a very small bedroom ....

I don't know if you remember Alan, but much of my time with my HL5's was in a room about the size of your former listening room and I sat very close, able to touch them if I leaned forward slightly. I don't remember a problem at all. As you've informed me, the current models are even better.....

heiner1960 Guest

Hi guys,

hoping for an economic recovery it could be the right time to buy a harbeth soon.

The question is: which one?

Room: my room is 4.8 x 7.8 m (16 x 26 feet, 416 sq.feet or 37.44 sq.m.). The ceiling is not flat but follows the roof, 2.4 m on the sides and app. 4 m in the center. The room is heavily furnished with shelves containing books and records. 2 windows and 2 sliding doors have heavy curtain. The floor is tiled but 75% has a carpet.

My music: a lot of jazz, classic and classic rock. Occasionally rap, Madonna, Moby.

Just recently I bought a flat screen and enjoy increasingly music dvds and movies in a 2.0 configuration with either Tannoy HPD 385s or Yamaha NS 1000 m.

I think the way to go for me is 2 minis plus a sub. 2.0 or then 2.1 would be ok with me, I will not go to 5 speakers for full HT.

Not because I want to shake the house (I would just go for a 10 inch with quality more than quantity). I prefer listening music coming from small enclosures; the sound seems to be more focused.

I would not like the speaker to play chamber music perfectly and then disappoint me with Madonna. They should be able to have some ?slam?.

Many speakers point the attention on the frequency rage of surface noise while playing vinyl. I have 5000 vinyls to 1000 CDs! A slightly darker sound would be preferred especially as many modern productions have a brightness that hurt the ear.

I could "die" for mid range. Voices I can follow throught the throat into the chest, guitars where you can listen the material of strings and the wooden body. My favouite instruments are Cello and Saxophon.

The most beautiful speaker is the new P 3 in rosewood. Would the P 3 satisfy my occasional hip hop attacks with an additional sub? M30 or C 7 also would be alternatives. Probably the SHL 5 is the most perfect all-rounder!!??

A complex problem, I hope to get some input and ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Bet regards
    Heiner

Hi Heiner,

I would not go for the P3, unless you listen very close up to the speaker. It also misses an octave or so of bass, which might disappoint with Madonna and the like. Your room is big enough to accommodate the SHL5, so if funds permit, this is the most 'complete' speaker for you, especially when you also be playing movies through them.

Garmt

heiner1960 Guest

Hi Garmtz,

thnaks for the reply.

I will definetely go for a sub plus satelites. Does this change your opinion about the P 3 playing Madonna?

Best regards
    Heiner

although P3 is comparable against the SHL5 in mid-range; it lose out in soundstage, scale, bass. I've listen to both of them in a room smaller than yours. Neither is SHL5 good home theater. SHL5 is too polite for those motion picture or music DVD (maybe I didn't setup well). However, SHL5 should be your choice of speaker with respect to your music preference, room condition. If economy picks up and with some spare cash, go for the SHL5.

Quote Originally Posted by heiner1960 View Post
    Hi Garmtz,

thnaks for the reply.

I will definetely go for a sub plus satelites. Does this change your opinion about the P 3 playing Madonna?

Best regards
    Heiner
    It only changes my opinion if you use bass management in your surround receiver (setting speakers to small) with a crossover at 80-100 Hz, filtering any low bass from the P3's. The sub also needs to be VERY good to keep up with the quality of the P3 bass.

If you use a normal full range stereo amplifier, it will definitely overload the P3 in your room (especially when listening in the far field) with movies and loudly played electronic music.

Hope this helps...

Hi Heiner

I have quite a bit of experience with the NS1000m?s in the past and currently have a pair of SHL?5. ill try to summarise the differences based on memory although this might not be the best basis for a decision for you, it might help guide you.

- Ns1000m?s sound ?tighter and together? than the SHL5?s.
    -SHL?5 has better bass slam. And you can hear the bass tracks clearer,
    -You need to turn up the NS1000ms to get them going (and alleviate point above)
    -NS1000m?s seem to be much more amplifier dependent (needs something with a large current). On smaller amps like the Audiolabs, they sound thinner. The old Yamaha amps made them sound beefier (but with less clarity).
    -the treble on the ns1000m?s are a tad splashier.
    -the midrange on SHL?s is much better. Voices are beautiful.
    -separation of voices and instruments on the SHL?s are I think also better,
    -NS1000m?s can generally be ruthlessly revealing, not sure if this is something you want,
    -NS1000ms are too heavy and hard to move around and experiment with.

kittykat

gobivista Guest

I want to see the attached files