Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hi Hagto
    Thank you for your positive feedback on my audio system, the preamplifier being used is the Quicksilver full function valve preamplifier with dual volume controls.
    I have replaced the standard tubes supplied with Mullards in the line & phono stage, this is a excellent sounding preamplifier.
    I am going to try the Leben HiFi RS 100U preamplifier & Pass Labs XP-10 preamplifier to see which has the best system synergy in my room.
    Thanks Jason.
    Thank You!
    I thought it was a Quicksilver but asked to be sure. I have had the KT88 monoblocks from them. Classic gear!
    I have also had the Pass lab Int-150 on a pair of Hl5's. I thougt that was a fine combination. Do not be shy to put out more pictures of your lovely system.
    Thanks from Torry.

Hi Torry
    I have also tried the Pass Labs INT 150 on the Harbeths SHL5 & the Monitor 40.1 with excellent results, the Pass INT 150 is a wonderful Integrated amplifier with good current delivery & tonal qualities.
    I will try to add new pictures from time to time.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagto View Post
    Thank You!
    I thought it was a Quicksilver but asked to be sure. I have had the KT88 monoblocks from them. Classic gear!
    I have also had the Pass lab Int-150 on a pair of Hl5's. I thougt that was a fine combination. Do not be shy to put out more pictures of your lovely system.
    Thanks from Torry.

Hello, Guys

Jason, it looks as though you reside in Paradise. There must be a great quality of life there, with the beautiful vistas and access to beautiful music through your facility. Your system looks fabulous!

Torry, I use Quicksilver V4 mono amps, likely a descendant of your amps, with my Monitor 30's. A great match, mainly with KT 88 tubes (better bass). With 6L6 tubes (can you swap those into your amps?), the midrange is glorious, but the bass is a bit loose.

Cheers, and enjoy the music!

Bob LaBarca
    State College, PA
    USA

Default Monitor 40.1

Hi Bob
    Thanks for you positive comments on my audio systems and the place we live Muriwai beach.
    I love living at Muriwai Beach which is located on the wild west coast out of Auckland, I consider it paradise when the sun is shining and the surf is pumping.
    Music is very important to us & a major part of our lives, we try to go to as many live concerts & music festivals as we can in NZ.

The Quicksilver V4 Mono are excellent amplifiers and I have just bought in a pair for a friend of mine, he is very impressed with the build quality and sound of the V4 mono, he is using the KT 88 valves as well.
    I am sure they would be a excellent match with the Harbeth range of speakers.

I have a view picture of Muriwai beach attached.
    Thanks Jason.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Harbeth Monitor 40.1

Hi Guys
    I have a picture of one of my audio systems that is matched with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1.
    The CD player is the Oracle CD2500 being used as the Transport, the Dac is the Concert Fidelity 040, the preamplifier is the Quicksilver full function reference model (also see Quicksilver V4 mono amps on the bottom shelf) and the Leben HiFi CS 660P power amplifier.
    Thanks Jason.

HI Jason,

Have you tried to match tbe M40.1 with the Pass Labs Xa100.5 and Lamm?
    Currently i'm undecided to go which direction. Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Default Harbeth Monitor 40.1

[QUOTE=Jmohd;9071]HI Jason,

Have you tried to match tbe M40.1 with the Pass Labs Xa100.5 and Lamm?
    Currently i'm undecided to go which direction. Your thoughts please.

Hi Jmohd
    I have not tried either the Lamm M1.2 Reference or the Pass Labs XA100.5 mono blocks on the Monitor 40.1 yet sorry.
    I did use the Lamm M1.2 on the Harbeth SHL5 with excellent results, I am sure you would be very happy with either pair of mono blocks on the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 as they are similar power of the very finest 100 Watts pure class A output & huge reserves of current if needed.
    I have a picture of the Pass Labs XA30.5 powering the M40.1 below.
    Thanks Jason.

I ordered my 40.1s this week and was wondering what affordable stand choices are out there? I am currently using the Sound Anchor 17" four post stands with my SHL5s. I like them alot but dont feel like putting out 750.00 USD for a pr. for the incoming 40.1s. I'm in georgia USA. Any options?
    Thanks for any help.

Something Solid XF, approx 250 in GB.

Hello, trh

Another option would be the Foundation stand, designed specifically for the 40.1 (500.00). You can find it at:

www.planetofsoundonline.com

Good Hunting!

Sound Anchor in Florida makes a good stand but if they are that much there several other options. The two above are good. So are stands made by Skylan and Noel is a great guy to work with especially if you have any special needs. http://www.skylanstands.com/ or give him a call at (403) 273 1735. Lots of options.

John

Hello again, trh

Here's a P.S. to my reply: The 500.00 is Canadian, so they should be cheaper in USD's!

Thanks alot everyone. I'll let you know what i decide on. Looking forward to getting the 40.1s and comparing them to my greatly enjoyed SHL5s.

I am going to go with the Foundation stands for the 40.1s. Anyone else using them?

Hello,trh

I suggested them originally and use them under my Monitor 30's. They're classically "British looking" and will allow your 40.1's to "breathe" sonically.

Excellent choice!

Quote Originally Posted by KT88 View Post
    Hello,trh

I suggested them originally and use them under my Monitor 30's. They're classically "British looking" and will allow your 40.1's to "breathe" sonically.

Excellent choice!
    Yep, it was your link that sent me to them. Thanks. I like the thinner look of the stands alot.

Default M401s arriving soon

My 40.1s get here today.

Default resonant characteristics of the speaker cabinet

Dear Alan,

I own a pair of 40.1s. There has been much debate in the HUG about the type of stands which can be used with these fine speakers and I know that your position has been largely neutral. However, I wanted to seek your opinion on the theory that the amount of contact surface area between the bottom of the speaker cabinet and speaker stand may have an impact on the resonant characteristics of the speaker cabinet which in turn may affect the perceived timbral balance of the speaker. Notice that I have stayed away from the contentious topic of the type, amount or thickness of contact material between the speaker cabinet and the speaker stand.

Default M401

Hi jeff, I am Lucho from Lima, Peru, and I own a pair of shl 5 in part thanks to you, you convinced me with your stuff at 6 moons.

I am very grateful for that because I love the speakers but i'm very interested in knowing if you had made advances in controlling the bass in your 40.1. If you can't do it i'll never do it in my room and so my must forget my dream of upgrading. Let us know please how the process is going. Thanks.

{Moderator's comment. No, we have not made or needed to make any changes to M401 bass. The M401 is a professional speaker and is designed to be used in a well controlled (damped) acoustic for the optimum sound}

Default M401 - no problems in all rooms

I use the M40.1 in a relatively small room with the backs no more than 15 inches from the wall and the sides around 18 inches. I can assure you that the bass is tight, clean, punchy and definitely well controlled with every amp I've used.

I don't know where you got the impression that there is a problem with the bass but I have not found any problems at all in any of the rooms I have used them in.

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast