Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

wow....congrats :-)
    Pls don't use blue tack. Read the threads about blue tack in the HUG.

Default Use BluTak PLUS a slice of foil

hi jmohd,

no, the blu tack does not have any contact to the speaker. there is a small slice of anti rubber foil below the speaker that covers the blue tak.

best,
    delgesu

Default M40.1 - tight, crips clear ....

Quote Originally Posted by A. E. View Post
    When I was new at photograpy hobby, I was trying to find out the optics which gives sharp images, vivid colors etc., then I have realised that composition and the light is more important to get a good image. Probably I'm looking at wrong directions for listening music at the moment... what do you (as a long term user) think a newbie should look for when choosing amp and source for M40.1?
    As a user of the M40.1 for more than one year now, i can confirm that timbre and vocals are fabulous ... but that's not all: somehow they sound very clear , crisp, effortless, coherent while being very communicative at the same time. Very good timing and flow. Bass is deep, fast, tight, yet not overdamped. Cannot understand Jeff day's comments.. i guess it's all down to correct placement, which should not be taken lightly or for granted by even a professional reviewer. Each time i thought there could be a slight margin for improvement, it was down to the recording, or some minor tweaking (toe in, minute placement, rake ...). Never made complex musical lines and musicians's intentions as much sense as through these speakers .... in think i now "get" Coltrane at last.

I tried many electronics ( Naim, LFD, Rega osiris and elicit, YBA, Prima Luna, Audiomat, Manley, Unison, Accuphase ...) with them, and maybe i was lucky because the sound was always at least very good. However, best and incredible results were with LFD (any one of their different integrateds was great) and with Audiomat Opera, wich was very slightly better still, but very similar sound. For convenience (no power valves) i bought the LFD NCSE and use it with EAR acute with nos valves.

The system defenitely betters my full YBA1 + Spendor S-100, and also the YBA1 + Sonus Faber Amati i had tried.... thought also it bettered, but still in a very similar style, a valve mac intosh + Quad 2905 system i tried in the same room ....

Default M40.1 allowe me to listen to Mahler .... without a break

what i found out besides all that sonic pros is that i never ever had a speaker that made me feel comfortable at long time listening. i finally managed to follow the complete recording of "götterdämmerung" by wagner without a break - only with my M40.1.

best,
    delgesu

Default Endurance test

Quote Originally Posted by delgesu View Post
    I finally managed to follow the complete recording of "Götterdämmerung" by Wagner without a break - only with my M40.1.
    Anybody who listens to Götterdämmerung without a break deserves a medal, IMHO ;-)

Default My C7 and SHL5 ... 3-4 hour listening sessions

Thank you very much Haddock and delgesu for the wonderful feedback.

I always listen Bizet, Puccini operas, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky full Ballet or Mahler symphonies and all other composers from single disks as long as 80mins plus to multi-disks as long s 3 to 4 hrs plus thru my C7 or SHL5 without a break...One day I must do this thru M40.1 of mine....Looking forward to the day...saving hard now...
    "Bath in Music"

Default I await my M401 and own M30 and SHL5

Hi Keith
    You will love the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers, the same family sound of the C7 & SHL5 that you have but bigger and more ease to the music flow.
    I have a new pair of the Monitor 40.1 coming soon & I can not wait to set them up, I have the Monitor 30 and SHL5 already.

Well worth saving for I am sure you will be really happy with the Harbeth Monitor 40.1, this is a speaker system for life and my reference loudspeaker.
    Cheers Jason.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default M401 + xa100.5?

Hi Jason,

Have you try the M40.1 with the XA100.5 yet?
    I'm looking forward for your views.

Default Damping reflections

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Hi Keith
    You will love the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 speakers, the same family sound of the C7 & SHL5...
    Hi Jason,

As I can see by the two pictures you provided, there are few things you can try to improve the sound in your room:

1) place a carpet on the floor to reduce the first reflections on the floor;

2) cover the windows with some heavy curtains to reduce the reflections at these places.

Sebastien

Default M30 + pass LAbs XA100.5

Hello Jmohd
    No I have not had the chance to have them both together yet in my system, I will have this combination soon once my new Harbeth Monitor 40.1 arrive.
    I have the Pass Labs XA100.5 running my Harbeth Monitor 30 at the moment and the sound is wonderful.
    Thanks Jason.

Default My room with a view

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    Hi Jason,

As I can see by the two pictures you provided, there are few things you can try to improve the sound in your room:

1) place a carpet on the floor to reduce the first reflections on the floor;

2) cover the windows with some heavy curtains to reduce the reflections at these places.

Sebastien
    Hi Sebastien
    Thanks, Yes both valid points. I use Turkish rugs on the wood floors already, but the double glazed opening widows look 30 miles up the West Coast beach of Muriwai so no drapes or blinds for now.
    I am lucky enough to have another dedicated listening room down stairs which is fully treated for sound acoustics that is my main demonstration audio room.
    Pictures attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default M40.1 in use at home

I have been having some problems with too much bass output with the majority (but not all) of electronics I have tried with them, and even with the ones that have been in the acceptable range bass balance is a wee bit more plentiful than I would like.

As relatively new owner (and enjoyer!) of the Harbeth M40.1 I would like to give a suggestion on the above point. I also had in the beginning some trouble with 'resonating' (and too much) bass. A friend told me to acoustically decouple the CD/streamer/pre- and poweramp by placing small ebony blocks on ceramic balls under them. This really had a huge effect in even clearer sound but especially the bass problems were mainly gone. Ebony is also used in musical instrument building (violins, violincello). Of course, there are definitely other ways to decouple the electronics.
    Hope this helps somebody with the same issue.

{Moderator's comment: please remember that the M40/M40.1 (or its logical predecessors the BBC LS5/8 or Rogers PM510) was designed as a professional monitor and is intened to be used in a controlled, properly damped acoustic where the speaker's bass response is perfectly balanced with that of the room absorption. It is unlikely to offer its best performance in a domestic room with little or no damping where the smaller Harbeths may work well.}

Default M40 port plugs?

Hello!

If I recall correctly, I believe that the original Monitor 40's came with foam plugs for each of the two bass ports on each speaker. Perhaps the HUG Moderator can enlighten us on this, and are they still available? Certainly a easily reversible experiment for possible bass reduction. I wouldn't mind having a set of them to try on my Monitor 30's.

Sounds as though you found an effective tweak there-thanks for passing it along.

{Moderator's comment: I don't recall them being a Harbeth accessory. But they are easy to make yourself. Alternatively a (clean) sock stuffed with other socks or cotton wool would allow you to make the same experiment.}

Default What is your system?

hfleuren,

Please let us know what are your components, cables and speaker stand.

Default My 40.1s in my untreated room sound wonderful

I have the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 in one of my listening rooms that is not acoustically treated and they sound wonderful, this shows that a normal listening room with enough space around the speakers that in a day to day living room good sound is achievable.

If you have to much bass either move the speakers further out in to the listening room away from side and rear wall behind the speakers, next suggestion is to use a power amplifier that is known to have good bass control that is recommended as a good match for the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 from other Harbeth owners.

The last solution and one that really should be the first upgrade to any music/audio room (WAF factor allowing) is Acoustic room treatment, I can not stress this point strongly enough, if you want the biggest gains in sound reproduction in your home use acoustic room treatments.
    In my main audio room I use a combination of RealTraps and Acoustic Sciences Corporation tube traps, the sonic results from this room acoustic treatment is well worth the expenditure.

"I'd rather listen to a mid-fi system in a high-end room than a high-end system in a mid-fi room, any day."
    By Art Noxon, Acoustic Engineer / President ASC.

http://www.acousticsciences.com/

Default M40.1 - in my experience clean and tight without bloom

In my demo room, which has no bass treatment, the M40.1's are angled slightly towards the listener on Something Solid stands. The rear edge of the speakers is only 7-8 inches from the rear wall and the outside edges are around 15 inches from the side wall. Not an ideal situation, perhaps but here the speakers are clean and tight with not a trace of bloom. They sound wonderful.

I have also used them in a couple of other not ideal rooms and they always sound very good indeed. I wouldn't recommend them for small rooms but from my experience, they aren't over fussy at all.

Default Which amp with M40.1?

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    In my demo room, which has no bass treatment, the M40.1's are angled slightly towards the listener on Something Solid stands. The rear edge of the speakers is only 7-8 inches from the rear wall and the outside edges are around 15 inches from the side wall. Not an ideal situation, perhaps but here the speakers are clean and tight with not a trace of bloom. They sound wonderful.

I have also used them in a couple of other not ideal rooms and they always sound very good indeed. I wouldn't recommend them for small rooms but from my experience, they aren't over fussy at all.
    May I ask which amp you prefer to demo the M40.1 with? LFD?

Default Amps with M401

Hi Will

I have used several amplifiers with excellent results on the Harbeth monitor 40.1.

The Leben CS 660P, The Pass Labs XA100.5, Pass Labs INT150, the Lamm M1.2 reference, I have the LFD NCSE integrated coming soon to match with the Harbeth 40.1, I am sure the LFD NCSE will be a excellent match for all the Harbeth loudspeakers.

Default Amps with M40.1

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    May I ask which amp you prefer to demo the M40.1 with? LFD?
    Yes, I often use the LFD Integrated LE Mk.IV with the M40.1. Great sound and good value. Others I use regularly are Croft pre/power and now an integrated at £850, which is soooo good. Albarry have returned with a revision of their 30 year old design, the M608 and pre. Also EAR 899 and various Naim from the Nait XS upwards.

All the above work well.

Default Croft integrated?

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    ... I use regularly are Croft pre/power and now an integrated at £850, which is soooo good...
    Hi Dave,

I can't find their integrated on their site. Any other link?

Thanks,

SL

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast