Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 40.1 specific

Default Deformation

thanks, just tried it after your post. does not work, too.
    looks like it got deformed while remaining in the packing... if i will not get this managed i´ll take a hammer and try to "reform" the grille...

best,
    delgesu
    Harbeth M40.1-Naim NAC52-Supercap-NAP 135-CDS2-XPS

Default Turn around?

Quote Originally Posted by delgesu View Post
    thanks, just tried it after your post. does not work, too.
    looks like it got deformed while remaining in the packing... if i will not get this managed i´ll take a hammer and try to "reform" the grille...

best,
    delgesu
    your hammer may break the warranty of the grille only, not speakers I hope :-)

Did you leave the grille in extreme weather conditions?
    I remember there were another post saying that he couldn't take the grille out easily, though. What I understand is it fits tightly, so may be we shouldn't be too polite while taking it off and putting it back.
    Is it possible to use it upside down? Is the label fixed?

hi a.e.,

yes, already turned it around. doesn´t help. will contact the dealer to get a new one...

Default Slide-on fit of M40 grille

Could we know please why you removed the grilles? As you will know from here and the User Guide all Harbeths are designed to be used with the grilles fitted. Not only is that what the designer intended but it prevents the grilles steel-frame from being bent. Clearly the speakers were supplied with the grilles fitted. The M40/M40.1 grille has always been an easy slide-fit so we can be sure that they slid on nicely at the time of manufacture.

Default Grille off/on - no effect?

yes, of course could you know!
    and i know the recommendation well but i also read that it is doesn´t effect sound, with or without. so i decided what i (and my wife) thought looks best. at the time we bought them it was better without grilles. recently we changed furniture etc and find the looks better with grilles now. meanwhile they where stored in our (dry) basement.

{Moderator's comment: no we never said 'couldn't effect sound' because that is untrue! Any object/cloth placed in front of a drive unit does and must and will effect sound! Because the sound must pass through the cloth, so there will be some loss. But the designer compensated for that as best he could.}

Default Check the diagonal measurements!

Hi Delgesu,
    The Grille is a bit flexible in the diagonal direction and perhaps measure this diagonal distance to see if both diagonals are equal. If you start the Grille at bottom groove and work up, you can push the frame a bit left or right as you reach the top of the cabinet. It is best to not push the Grille all the way into the groove when starting at bottom as this may appear to show extra length at the top.

(I would check with your dealer first to see if he can help with a replacement if the above does not help, as shipping a grille on it's own can get damaged also in transport).

Cheers,
    Noel.

Default Controlled grille fit

Think the grilles are bowed inside slightly and intentionally (in the middle lengthwise) and works on the principle of friction and grip* to hold it tightly in place. The 4 corners of the grille should be square with your speaker corners, and unless they have been (unlikely) bent at just these spots, tender guidance will put it back.

hi noel,

thanks very much. when i am back home i´ll try that.

update: no, nothing works...

Default Wood swelling in the tropics

Delgesu,

The grilles on my 40.1 don't fit as well as when they first arrived. They used to sit flush on all sides but not so these days. I listen with the grilles on the speakers.

I had a problem with my last set of speakers, the Sonus Faber Cremona. If you are familiar with these speakers they have elasticated string "grilles" which fit into holes, top and bottom of the speaker. I removed them and a year later couldnt put them back in. The wood had expanded. I live in the tropics.

{Moderator's comment: the Harbeth grille frame around which the cloth is glued, is a welded, powder-coated steel band. It cannot of itself change shape or size. It can be accidentally bent though if removed: on reason we mention that our speakers are designed to be used with the grilles fitted. The M40/40.1 has always been the easiest grille to fit due to generous tolerances in design and manufacture.}

Default Stell v. wood?

{Moderator's comment: the Harbeth grille frame around which the cloth is glued, is a welded, powder-coated steel band. It cannot of itself change shape or size. It can be accidentally bent though if removed: on reason we mention that our speakers are designed to be used with the grilles fitted. The M40/40.1 has always been the easiest grille to fit due to generous tolerances in design and manufacture.}

I listen with the grilles on but remove them from time to time when I dust down the speakers. The tolerances are adequate to make an easy job of removing the grilles and therefore unlikely I could have bent them out of shape when I removed them. I take all care when they are off the speakers as well. However fact remains the don't sit as flush as they used to.

Default Left and right?

Hi Kathy, Have you checked to make sure you have the grill cloths positioned for the corresponding Monitor 40.1 left & right hand speakers.
    Sounds obvious but the Harbeth Logo should be located on the left hand side top for the left M40.1 speaker and on the right hand side top for the right M40.1 speaker.
    Just a idea to check to see if this helps to fit the grill cloths better on your speakers.
    Thanks Jason.

Default Wonderful words and pictures from Poland about (rosewood) M40.1

Link to other thread here:

Default Grille replacement - thanks

UPDATE!
    subject: Damaged m40.1 front grille:

i would like to thank the Harbeth team for their great support! i received free-of-charge a new front grille for my M40.1 which got damaged whilst being stored by me.
    THANKS!

best,
    delgesu

Default How not to *eat* M40.1s (hapy ex-M30 customer)

Well I finally have my dream speakers. The majestic M40.1.... in Rosewood no less!
    Back in Nov 2007 on page 2 of this thread post # 28 as well as congratulating Alan on his new creation I stated that as a very happy M30 user this was what I would aspire and start saving up for.
    I however expressed concern as the whether the 40.1s would work ok and not produce too much bass in my medium sized 15' x 13' x 8' living room.
    Alan in the following post reassured me that they would be fine and even in post #35 humorously stated that if I was disappointed he would offer to eat them for me!

Well I'm here to tell you Alan that my M40.1s are off the menu for the foreseeable future. I love them!
    After having to wait a few days before I had enough time. I fired them up for the first time this evening and all the minor concerns after having owned and enjoyed the M30's for six years instantly vanished.

After a 3 week gap from selling my cherished M30s ( to help fund the new 40.1s) to receiving them I was so reassured by how similar they were, The 40.1s reveal their extra present in terms of scale and effortlessness only when required otherwise they have all the clarity and focus that the smaller monitors had.
    Even visually they didn't impose themselves anything like as much as I thought they would same hight just a few inches wider either side.

Here's to the next 20-30 years (hopefully!) of enjoying them! Also the Rosewood veneers are amazing.. more pics may follow. Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Saving for the M40.1!

Congrate to you. argh...i must have it one day. saving saving saving....
    "Bath in Music"

Default M40.1 just so .... right!

Congratulations PC, the Harbeth Monitor 40.1 loudspeakers are truly wonderful and a speaker system that is so sonically right in so many ways, by this statement I mean that is does not draw attention to any one area of the music playback (Treble, Midrange, Bass), the Monitor 40.1 just relaxes into the mix producing some of the best Tone of instrument & human voice I have ever heard.

I am sure you will be happy for many years to come.
    Well done on upgrade, thanks Jason.

Default Amp choices?

I just bought a pair of 40.1 that I will pick up within two weeks time. I used to have a dedicated listening room but now I have decided to put the main system in the living room because this is where I prefer to be and because my girlfriend also likes to listen.

I usually don’t play very loud, but sometimes I like to turn it up a bit. The room is not treated acoustically in any way except from furnishing, but it has plenty of volum. The walls are “wooden”, not plaster, plates, roof and floor are wood. I have a couple of DaaDs but hope I will not need them in the living rom. I play a lot of jazz from the 50- and 60 (Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins etc), acoustic blues and folk as well as more “classic” rock like Springsteen, Neil Young, Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

Today I have a couple of Graaf GM20 (with Hovland HP-100, couple of Rouge Ares, SME20/SME V/Jan Allerts MC2 Finish Gold, Avid Acutus Reference SP/Dynavecotor DV507MKII and XV-1s) driving a pair of Merlin or Living Voice OBX, depends. I am planning to move one pair of these speakers (probably the Merlins) and the Graafs to my second set-up on the lower floor. I plan to move the Graafs out of the main system because I don’t think the 65 OTL-Watt and their impedance-sensitivity would suit the Harbets in my bigger living room. They suit the Merlins well but are very sensitive to love impedance.

What kind of amplifiers would you recommend for the Harbeths? I have been thinking of, Nagra VPA, Rouge Apollo, Audio Research Ref. 210, Joule Electra VZN-160 (lovely with the Merlins) but I don’t know if any of them are good matches. I am open in choice but I would prefer tubes. I have a Hovland HP-100 preamplifier, but this one can also go to the second system and should not limit the choice of amplifier. My question may have been answered already somewhere but I hope it’s ok that I ask again.

This is my room from just after moving in, turntables still in their boxes.

stue.jpg

Default Nice!

This is my kind of speaker!

harbeth 1.jpg
    harbeth 2.jpg

Default Stands?

Quote Originally Posted by Fosse View Post
    This is my kind of speaker!

harbeth 1.jpg
    harbeth 2.jpg
    Fosse,

that's a VERY nice setup. What are those speaker stands you're using? They look beautiful.

thanks!

best regards,
    Manendra

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast