Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos of your beloved Harbeth Speakers & Setup

Default My M30 system

Hi all,

Here is my system, consisting of:

- Harbeth M30 in maple on Custom Design 'fish tank' stands
    - Linn Majik DSM streamer/amplifier
    - Velodyne DD10 subwoofer

I took a picture from around the listener position, which is about 3 m away from the speakers. I really need a thick carpet to damp reflections from the floor. Also, I have posted below in-room measurements from the left and right speakers (left is red and purple, right is blue and green) with and without the subwoofer. As you can see, the cupboard on the right side gives a 'bump' in the spectrum around 300 Hz, which is absent from the left side, where there is a fabric couch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Room measurements?

First I have to say that I like the clean and minimalistic approach you made with this setup. The speakers are not hidden, yet they are not presented together with an altar of hifi-gear. (and it seem you have the same wooden floor that we have in our living-area....)

But as I am new to measurements, IŽll be a little careful with what I write.
    But, I believe that 10 dB measured differences in loudness across the frequency band mean half the loudness.

Does that mean that your measurements say that your room measures terribly??

Default DIY room measurements in the real world

Quote Originally Posted by thurston View Post
    First I have to say that I like the clean and minimalistic approach you made with this setup. The speakers are not hidden, yet they are not presented together with an altar of hifi-gear. (and it seem you have the same wooden floor that we have in our living-area....)
    Thanks!

But as I am new to measurements, IŽll be a little careful with what I write.
    But, I believe that 10 dB measured differences in loudness across the frequency band mean half the loudness.

Does that mean that your measurements say that your room measures terribly??
    Half the acoustic sound pressure loudness is 6 dB, not 10. I am pretty satisfied actually with this frequency curve. As you can see from the photo's, the room has not been treated extensively and in-room deviations of 6 dB in the lower frequencies are not that bad. The upward trend in the curve makes for a natural sounding result in my opinion and the purple curve (with subwoofer) is not bad at all, if you know how to read in-room frequency plots. Of course it can be much, much better, but this is not a terrible result by any stretch.

I wonder if more people could show their frequency response. I am quite curious... Mine was done using Fuzzmeasure on a Mac, with an M-Audio Mobile Pre microphone amplifier/USB interface and a Behringer ECM8000 microphone. Certainly not high-end stuff, but I am not designing loudspeakers... ;)

Default Curves in real rooms

...as I am dealing with my room acoustics maybe I will buy the necessary stuff one day.

If I will, then I will surely show the curves here as well.

...and quite possibly I will be jealous for your curves then...
    ;-)

Default Room treatment, then repositioning ...

If you really treat the room and can place the speakers where they can give reasonably flat response, there is a good chance your curves will even be flatter... ;)

Default Custom made stands?

hey Garmtz,

I really like the looks of your white stands! Are they custom-made ?
    (as they look literally made for your Harbeth's)

greetings,
    Baldo (a.k.a Alco)

Default M40.1 Sugden Masterclass

Hi everybody

I would like to share some photos

M40.1
    Sugden Masterclass
    Nakamichi Dragon
    Nottingham Analoque Space 294
    Vintage Luxman WZ-30

Default UK made stands

Quote Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
    I really like the looks of your white stands! Are they custom-made ?
    (as they look literally made for your Harbeth's)
    Hi Alco... ;)

Yes, they are custom made by Custom Design from the UK. You can order exactly the width, depth and height you would like to have in mm and they will make it for you! Stand is available in white, black and metal. I have now ordered a metal version, as it matches even better with my interior.

Default Enjoy

Hi Anada, nice setup. So good you can enjoy the M40.1.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Out of this world sound stage

Thanks Keithwork

It took me a lot of years to finally manage to have a setup like this
    The M40.1 are feeling very comfortable with the" V12 engine" from the Sugdens and all the sources are top so i am very happy although i would prefer a single integrated to avoid space cables racks etc, but the revelation... is this system driving my P3ESR.

The soundstage and the illusion you get is out from this world

Default REmove amp

Hi Anada, i would suggest that you remove the amp on the speaker.

Enjoy

Default My upgrade to Harbeths and my pro experience with them

M30 Pictures
    Recently delivered M30's in Eucalyptus
    Atacama SL600 stands filled with kiln dried sand
    Denon DCD635 CD player
    QED passive volume control
    Quad 520f power amp
    79/0.2mm speaker cable
    Projekt Headphone amp
    2 pairs of Beyer DT770 Pro (600ohm original rather battered, and replacement 250ohm)
    Linn LP12 (30 yrs old) with Mission 774 arm and Goldring 1012GX cartridge
    Meridian 101 pre-amp feeding the other side of the QED box
    AMC T7 tuner
    Also on standby a Sugden A48I rewired to split pre and power

The M30's replaced a pair of Heybrook HB2's MkI that are about the same vintage as the LP12 and also still work. Even with the challenges of my listening room the M30's give me exactly what i bought them for.

Clear un-coloured vocals and detailed dynamic rendition of classical music (some of it rather raucous modern stuff)

They also show up the "faulty by design" nature of most pop/rock recordings, with the overuse of compression and processing. But then they are monitoring speakers

The advantage of the Harbeths is you can turn down the noise until it is listenable and not change the tonal balance.

I have used Harbeths in Television Studio control rooms in my professional life and this is why i knew they existed. I auditioned other HiFi speakers for comparison and just couldn't get through to the demonstrators that the colouration i was complaining about was not just a case of a bright balance.

Listen to any recording featuring Eliza Carthy and her mother Norma Waterson to find out how Harbeths remove the steely sheen but still let the character of voice show through.
    Last edited by Glongmire; 09-03-2012 at 05:38 PM. Reason: add speaker cable

Default Finally, satisfaction with SHL5

After many years of searching and spending a lot of money for hifi stuff i feel satisfaction with my SHL5 now. The only thing i have to find out, if i stay with my lavardin is or i should go for leben cs-600 (because of design issues).....

Default Keep the Lavardin

There are no issues I'm aware of with the Lavardin. I say - keep it and enjoy the music.

Default SS more reliable

Hi tcb1935,

May I know what is your worry regarding the decide issue? Personally, I think lavardin should be much more reliable than any tube device. I heard the IS with SHL5 many yrs ago sound very good.
    "Bath in Music"

Default Aesthetics win?

Well, looking at the shelf I guess Mr tcb is simply a design-lover and therefore just fell in love with the looks of the Leben.

Default Own both

there is really no convincing reason for selling the lavardin, especially for people with my listening habits (30h/week). in my ears it's a perfect match! The only reason why the leben cs600 seems attractive to me is the non-design and beautiful classic craftsmanship. i was used to listen with horn speakers and triode tube amps... Maybe i miss the tube thing, it still is diy somehow, the lavardin is so perfect....i should own both!

Default My lovely SHL5

More photos of my lovely SHL5 from another angle..

"Bath in Music"

Default Harbeth owners simple setups

Quote Originally Posted by tcb1935 View Post
    After many years of searching and spending a lot of money for hifi stuff i feel satisfaction with my SHL5 now. The only thing i have to find out, if i stay with my lavardin is or i should go for leben cs-600 (because of design issues).....

Very nice shot.
    It seems many owners of Harbeth are very into simplistic setups including keithwwk's latest pics. I may have come to the right place.

Page 26 of 44 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast