Thread: Using the SEARCH facility

jaybar Guest

Default Using the SEARCH facility

Hi

How can I search for 3 letter words?

I want to search for low level listening as in low volume levels. When I search for just level listening, I get references to the speakers being level or your ear being level with the tweeter etc. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Searchin on low, by itself, finds no records. Searching on low level, seems to eliminate the low and only gives references to level.

Am I doing anything wrong? If not, how can this be fixed?

Jay

Default Re: How to use the SEARCH facility

Try again.

Go to the SEARCH page (between New Posts and Quick Links on the red bar at the top of the User Group pages).

Select Advanced Search ....enter your search. At the bottom of the entry page ....

>>> Select "Show Results as Posts"

>>> Tick the box "Also search in child forums".
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

jaybar Guest

Default Re: Using the SEARCH facility

Thanks Alan. I was not using the advanced option when I tried it. It worked now.

Default Advanced search?

Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
    Peter

Default Activity stream?

Quote Originally Posted by chirhonix View Post
    Hi, Alan,

since some time the "Advanced Search" is missing on all my browsers. Could be reintroduced?

Regards,
    Peter
    Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.

Default Activity stream problems

Quote Originally Posted by Don Leman View Post
    Yes I agree and would add the current default of "Activity Stream" doesn't work very well with my PC (Windows 7) and browser (IE 11). Most of the time the links to the new message don't do anything.
    I'm having the same problem with Activity Stream. I'm using a Mac with Safari and Chrome. I wrote the board administrator a few days ago concerning this issue, but did not hear anything back.

Default Mouse exploring

The links work if you very carefully "explore" their location. And then the first item often looks washed out.

Default Difficult

Yes they do, but that is extremely cumbersome.

Default Phone/Mac issues

Same issue while browsing on my phone and Mac

{Moderator's comment: And those exact issues are what, please?}

Default Missing Advanced Serach

To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.

Default Missing from browser

I looked into the page source and the entry is there:

<li><a href="search.php" accesskey="4">Advanced Search</a></li>

but it's not displayed in the browser.

Default I.E. Compatibility setting for HUG

Quote Originally Posted by chirhonix View Post
    To the moderator:

the "advanced Search" button beneath the search input field is missing since weeks. I could use it to search for the latest (1 day) posts and see directly in which threads there was new info.

Now I have to use the "What's new?" function and that leads to a time sorted list of entries, not thread sorted. I'm not fond of it. Furthermore the links are very tiny and often it's difficult to hit them. It's the same on Firefox and Chrome on Linux and my Android phone. The 1st link looks often washed out.
    I've found a bit of a work around for those using IE. While on the forum site, go up to the browser menu and click on tools, then select "Compatibility View Settings" then add harbeth.co.uk to the list. That adds the old menu where you can choose new posts and it gets displayed in the old format.

Default Site change?

Thank you Don Leman,
    but on Linux I have no IE. In Firefox or Chrome I think there is no such option. Maybe in the last 2 to3 weeks there was a change on the site which made that difference that the option to klick the advance search buttom.

Default Advance search

I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.

Default New layout

Quote Originally Posted by Nahtanoj View Post
    I've had the exact same issues over the last couple of weeks: the "What's New" button gives you Activity Stream, instead of the list of threads with recent activity, which is much more user friendly (at least for me).

And "Advanced Search" is gone, so there's no way to reliably summon up the list of threads with recent activity.
    Same here. I much preferred the previous layout. The new one is finicky, and more difficult to search and to navigate.

Default Search

To the moderator or site administrator: any news on this topic? Will we getting the Advanced Search button back?