Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to safely remove the grilles

Default Re: How to safely remove the grilles

Question 1:
    If you have your speaker amplifier turned ON while you apply the magnets are you damaging any components in the speaker?

Question 2:
    If you have your speaker amplifier turned OFF while you apply the magnets are you damaging any components in the speaker?

Question 3:
    Will the damage be temporary or permanent?

Default Re: How to safely remove the grilles

No need to worry about the Puller's magnets interfering with the speakers. It doesn't matter if the speakers are off or on. But be sure that the Puller doesn't touch any part of the speaker other than the grille's steel frame. Keep away from the tweeter and woofer and cabinet work!
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Default A little protruding object

Hi Alan/Harbeth PR,

I have recently acquired a SHL5. I have every intention of keeping the grille on but as a new owner one would naturally like to take a look inside - to admire the beauty of it and for inspection for damages (ok I understand your speakers must have gone through thorough quality inspection but all the same...).

I have another reason for my curiosity - about one-fourth down from the top (probably around where the tweeter is) there is a little object protruding and touching the grille. It does not seem to vibrate (I did not dare touching it directly). This protruding thing can be seen on both L/R speakers at the same place.

I would just like to have assurance that it's part of the speaker design. Thank you.

with best regards,
    ck chan

{Moderator's comment: it would be helpful if you could measure how many cms down from the top of the grille this object is .....}

The object is about 15.5cm from the top edge of the wood.

Default Dome tweeter

Quote Originally Posted by C K Chan View Post
    I would just like to have assurance that it's part of the speaker design.
    Hi CK Chan, think its the dome of the tweeter you're noticing. It does touch the surface of the cloth. Its perfectly natural and normal.

Default Main tweeter

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat View Post
    Hi CK Chan, think its the dome of the tweeter you're noticing. It does touch the surface of the cloth. Its perfectly natural and normal.
    Thank you very much for your explanation, Kittykat. My next question will betray the fact that I am no "audiophile" (I just enjoy listening to music and I do now with the Harbeths and that's good enough for me), is the doom not a moving part and therefore it should not be in contact with the cloth? Perhaps the answer is obvious but I would be grateful for clarification.

With regards,
    C K Chan

{Moderator's comment: to be clear it is the protective grille over the main tweeter.}

Actually 15cms or so from the top wood is the protective mesh grille over the main tweeter.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Removing grilles

Hi everyone,

I want to share an experience I had while removing my SHL5 grills for the first time. Even if I used Noel's tool from Skylan stand and go very gently, I unfortunately made a small chip on the veneer of an inside corner of one of my speaker. So be CAREFULL! I was curious and meticulous like everyone but this happen...

After this happen, I glue that chip on and it's now almost invisible and so small. That was the last time I remove the grill from that speaker.

Sebastien

Default Grilles

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    That was the last time I remove the grill from that speaker.
    Sebastien
    Hi CK Chan, yes, as Moderator and Mr. Shaw describe it more correctly, it is the mesh (non moving) over the aluminium tweeter surface (moving) which is in contact with the cloth, so it’s does not “affect” the sound in any way. Its perfectly all right.

Sebastien, Ive almost perfected a way of removing the grilles without any tools or potential damage, and hope this works for you.

1. Run the tips of your fingers right around the cloth of the rectangular grille frame of the SHL5’s where it protrudes ever so slightly from the bevelled edge. Do this a few times with your eyes closed. There will always be a spot where it is slightly further out than other parts and this will be your starting point.

2. At this area where it protrudes so slightly, with the tips of your fingers, try to edge it out but only just very slightly. It will yield just a little but please don’t try to “pull it out” in one go. Its physically impossible as it is a fairly long edge sitting in a tight groove. Look at it as trying to “raise” the frame in equal deliberate measures a bit at a time starting from the original position. The grille should never be removed at an angle, eg. yanking it at one point while another is still sitting in the groove. If someone does this, there will surely be damage to the cabinet as the grille edge sits in quite tightly.

It is a very clever piece of engineering which does away with bits and bolts of ugly hardware. We are left with the beautiful Harbeth cabinet.

Default Grille

Thank you for all the replies.

Now I know the mesh is not going to get in the way I am quite content. I am making inquiries if Noel of Skylan is still sending that little magnetic tool - if so I would still like to open the grille for a close up look. At present I can only do that at the dealer's and that is not my pair.

By the way, my dealer does not seem to be very educated about the grille; one of the staffer said there was a belt or something in the middle part of the frame which one could pull on but there would be risk of warping the frame. Of course I did not try.

Best,
    Ck chan

Default Grille Puller

Hi CK
    I am sending you a Grille Puller, have to work on a few at present and will send you details later.

Cheers,
    Noel.

Hi,
    here is my tool for removing the grilles:

1) Buy a pack of blades for a cutting tool (the small usual size) for € 0,50 - € 1,00
    2) Remove the blades and keep the plastic box or you may use any plastic box of similar size.
    3) Fill it with small neodymium magnets (about € 5,00 each). I used 5 of them, the rectangular shape, it fits with the plastic box better.
    4) You may use a cable-tie as a handle.
    5) I use it (very rarely) on any corner of the grille

Those magnets are very strong but they can't wound the fabric because they don't touch it. The plastic does, so the contact is way smoother.

Pay Attention!
    If very close, they can easily harm credit cards, laptops, or any storage device. Don't put them in the same pocket with your wallet!

(For Moderator: I've typed the post 3 times until I edited the first (this) one. So you have to delete the two others please).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've edited the post. It was the same as #32

Default Tight grilles

Hi,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I've tried with Noel's tool to ease off the grilles of my new Compact 7s -- and no dice. Those suckers are in there but tight. Has anyone had luck with the brass paperclip method (shades of Poirot...).

o

Default Leave grilles alone

When I first had Harbeth speakers, I spent at least ten minutes, lovingly hand crafting a pull from a large, brass paper-clip. Cut a long story short, it just bends and is nowhere near man enough to remove a grille.

I have the magnetic tool, which is more successful but removing the grilles is not something I do or would recommend. The speakers are designed to be used with grilles in place.

Default Grille off?

As a brand new owner of a pair of SHL5 speakers I would like to make sure the drivers etc. have survived the arduous and dangerous journey from the UK to Asia.

I would hate to rip the fabric or something like that...any new ideas on how to remove these carefully?

Default Grille off?

Fortunately for the rest of us who do appreciate the beauty of and right to (on occasion) remove and inspect our lovely Harbeth speakers, without the grilles on, in the privacy of our own homes, we don't have to answer to and justify ourselves to Pluto. His opinion has been nnoted, however it appears then in his 30 years of professional ownership, he has never Google searched Harbeth speaker images online (he must find the search results offensive), seen them on retailer sites, online auctions, or audio shows, where almost always the preponderance of viewing choices (apart from friends or fellow enthusiasts homes) are with the speaker grilles off.

For the rest of us, in addition to their supreme sonic qualities, these are also beautiful speakers to behold. They take up featured floor space in our respective living spaces, where the veneers and cones are works of art and a thing of beauty to behold. The merits of manufacturer recommended improved sound quality with the grilles on are surely more appropriately addressed in other threads, no?

Default Grilles and protection

Quote Originally Posted by Rdubya View Post
    ...it appears then in his 30 years of professional ownership, he has never Google searched Harbeth speaker images online (he must find the search results offensive)...
    Perhaps you ought to appreciate that the sole reason I advocate leaving the grilles in place is as a means of protection from those little accidents. You would be amazed at the number of occasions upon which drive units have become damaged due to their exposure; damage that would have been a lot cheaper to repair had the grille been present to absorb the blow or resist the inquisitive little finger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12