Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to safely remove the grilles

shseto Guest

Default How to safely remove the grilles

Alan,

I know they are supposed to be left on while listening, but i really would like to open it up to see those beautiful Radial. It has been 2 weeks since my C7 ES3 arrived at my home.

I saw people suggested using paper clips in another thread which i could not figure out how it works, i could get one clip in and when i pull it , it seems so tight that i will not come out or do i need to make use of 2 ?

How do you remove them at Harbeth/ yourself? it seems very tightly fitted.

I promise to put i back for listening. its like if you bought a Jaguar, surely one would want to open the bonnet to have a look.

Thanks !

SH

Default Re: How to safely remove the grilles

Please email me privately with the serial numbers of your Compact 7s please.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

OK, we've hunted down the best paper clip following the great suggestions from our users and plan to make a little video of this for release here over the next week or so. Remember: we recommend that your Harbeth grilles are left on, but if you insist in removing them, this tool may be needed. If the grilles come off easily themselves, you do not need this tool.

In the meantime, here is a picture of the tool with dimensions. We recommend the brass clip compared to the standard shiny steel one, as it is stiffer and is also a little thicker. These are sold as "large brass paperclips" in a packet of 50. You will need a pair of pliars to make the 7mm bend. Note, this 7mm needs to be accurately made.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN USING TOOLS. ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR EYES.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Paulg1 Guest

Default Front cloth covers

Can front cloth covers of my new Compact 7-ES be removed? I have Tigerwood and I would like to be able to see it from front.

shseto Guest

Alan,

Great stuff ! How many of these do I need to prepare?

and looking forward for the video.

SH

tricka Guest

Hi everyone

well I got off my covers on my 7's with a pair of needle point pliers covered in electrical tape. I promptly put them back on.

Alan isn't kidding when he say they sound better with the grills on! Off they sound less coherent, less integrated and slightly brighter. On they sound perfect.

Thanks again for an amazing product.

Best Wishes
    Andrew

Hu Guest

Waiting for the video, I just want to remove them sometimes to clean in inside part.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu View Post
    Waiting for the video, I just want to remove them sometimes to clean in inside part.
    attack from the corner. align the modified clip thru the tiny gap at the top corner, slowly pull it out a millimeter by a millimeter

Default Special tool for removing grilles

Noel at Skylan has invented an ingenious tool for removing even tight grilles. He's made a prototype which he's demonstrated on this little video I made at CES Jan 09. The removal tool is called the Syklan "Grille Remova".

If there is any serious interest in this he will consider selling it at a reasonable price in a final form. Only one piece is required per pair of speakers as once one corner has been pulled out, you can reposition the tool on another corner and work around the speaker pulling each corner individually if needed.

Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

feuilly Guest

Default Re: Special tool for removing grilles

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Noel at Skylan has invented an ingenious tool for removing even tight grilles. He's made a prototype which he's demonstrated on this little video I made at CES Jan 09. The removal tool is called the Syklan "Grille Remova".

If there is any serious interest in this he will consider selling it at a reasonable price in a final form. Only one piece is required per pair of speakers as once one corner has been pulled out, you can reposition the tool on another corner and work around the speaker pulling each corner individually if needed.

Seriously, if I have to buy an accessories to open the bonnet or boot of my Jaguar, I would not even consider owning a Jaguar in the first place.

We've tried to be helpful to our users. I'm sorry that we can't satisfy this user who states in his profile that he is a Harbeth owner. A considerable amount of thought and effort has gone into this with two solutions presented here.

I recall that we have mentioned here quite frequently that all Harbeth speakers are actually designed to be used with the grille on. This may be counter-intuitive but that's how we work. I guess removing the grille could be alikened to driving that Jaguar with the bonnet removed and the motor exposed. There are always methods for opening the bonnet ....
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Default Re: Special tool for removing grilles

Quote Originally Posted by feuilly View Post
    Seriously, if I have to buy an accessories to open the bonnet or boot of my Jaguar, I would not even consider owning a Jaguar in the first place.
    Removal of a speaker grille isn't so much akin to opening the bonnet of your Jaguar, it's more like removing the crankcase. While you might have an innate desire to run the engine with the crankcase off so you can admire the wonderful crankshaft and beautiful valve gear, you know it would be unwise to do so.

It's only fashion and fascination that drives you to remove the grille of loudspeakers - that and the fact that some makers seem incapable of producing an acoustically transparent grille. In most environments, the protection afforded by the grille, against accidents that can damage fragile cones - even beautiful RADIAL ones, is rather valuable.

Which sounds better - a grille that's a little too tight (when new) or one that's a little too loose?

shseto Guest

I think most harbeth users knew that they should use the speakers with grille on while most of us want to take it off to look at the cones, be it for inspect for damages for simple admire how they look. its not unresonable.

forget the bonnet /boot thing, we can agrue here all day. we are looking at speakers and grille.

if design call for such tight fit that it can't be removed by the average owners (safely), i suggest it would be good to let the buyer konw by stating this fact in the owner manual perhaps? mention only offical dealer with office Harbeth tools should be opening it?

and the best is a free grille opening tool with new speakers sold? if the cost isn't silly?

i would pay up to 10 quid for the tool myself.

Default 'Knocking copy' in an audio democracy?

I think that this thread of late proves one valuable lesson (to us/me). There really is no place in this User Group, run by and managed by Harbeth UK, for public comments along the lines "I wouldn't buy Harbeth for this reason .....". They simply don't contribute to the general goodwill accumulated here - especially when they come from users who state in their profile that they do own Harbeth!

The purchase of hi-fi equipment is a democracy: the user is free to select from between hundreds or thousands of brands. Personally I think that 'knocking copy' has but one long term effect: it makes us as the designers/manufacturer more cautious about what we say, what we reveal, what we admit to, what we offer as solutions to inevitable issues that crop up from time to time. In short, it motivates us to do what other corporations do: admit nothing; blame the user. Surely that's not want you want or expect from me or from Harbeth? Wouldn't you want us to remain open? If so, then we have to very lightly intervene here from time to time to keep the overall tone here positive as it has been these past years.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by shseto View Post
    ...most of us want to take it off to look at the cones...
    Provided you do it in the privacy of your own home, fair enough - it's just that in thirty years of owning and using high quality speakers both personally and professionally, I have never felt a need to examine the cones of a speaker system that is giving no sonic cause for concern. Neither do I see any great aesthetic beauty in speaker cones - not even Harbeth RADIALs - that necessitates the removal of the grille for any reason other than the simple fashion for "exposing" the technology.

shseto Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
    Provided you do it in the privacy of your own home, fair enough - it's just that in thirty years of owning and using high quality speakers both personally and professionally, I have never felt a need to examine the cones of a speaker system that is giving no sonic cause for concern. Neither do I see any great aesthetic beauty in speaker cones - not even Harbeth RADIALs - that necessitates the removal of the grille for any reason other than the simple fashion for "exposing" the technology.
    there are times, honestly, i admire the sound only , not the cone to be honest but after my harbeths arrived home, i really 'wanted' to take a look at the drivers sure to confirm they are in goo shape. I have a pair of old harbeth where the tweeters were depressed by naughty kids at home and therefore I am kind of ....... always check these things and konwing the grille and is soft.....i hope you understand.

grunt72 Guest

Noel Nolan of Skylan has devised a great little tool to open the grilles of the Harbeths. Drop him a note...

Yes, we already covered that here in my posting of 14 Jan 09 ....

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...=4281#post4281
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

When I first learned of this grille removal tool, I didn't think too much about it. After all Harbeth spearkers are designed to be listened to with the grilles on. Occasionally though I would get people over who would want to see the drive units and I felt a little uncomfortable telling them the grilles were hard to remove and just showing them a picture.

After a couple of conversations with Noel (he's a nice guy), he offered to send me one to try out. It arrived last week and I've got to tell you this is one nice toy. Not only does it look good, its fun to use. Now I look for opportunities to show off those terrific looking RADIAL drivers.

Noel says he can make them up for about $22 Cdn which includes shipping. So buy one for your wife... tell her its the ultimate fridge magnet, then borrow it once and a while when you have your buddies over.

I'm attaching some updated pictures of it with my old HL P3ES-2's.

Don
    West Coast Audio
    Last edited by Don Leman; 02-09-2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast