Thread: Homecoming for Harbeth

Default Homecoming for Harbeth

Guys,

Compact 7ES-3 in stereophile 45th Annv. Magazine.

Good words by Sam Tellig on Harbeth. Turn to page 17....

digiphobe Guest

Default Re: Homecoming for Harbeth

Also good words mentioned in a user review today in Naim's forum..

Please do let us have the links; or quote from the original please.
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

digiphobe Guest

skinhead Guest

Yup I bot the issue. I'll grab any mags with that featureHarbeths!

Default Harbeth on Naim User Group ...

Excellent, easy to read write up of a users experience comparing Harbeth to others. Harbeth is unique!

Clip "I admit I was eagerly awaiting to hear them, but was nowhere near prepared for what was to come: natural beauty of musical instruments ! Admittedly, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 did not have that strong 3D sound of ProAcs, they were not that attention grabbing, music did not jump out of them in a forcing or commanding way, but uniformity and flow of the music they produced was delightful. They could play hard, strong and loud, no mistake there, but they excelled in sounding natural and seductive to the point of no return. It was the kind of sound I could listen to for hours, and hours, and hours? Such was the easiness of their sound. And when we played some jazz records on that aforementioned turntable I had an impression of being in some club downtown New York, seating beside Stacey Keach aka Mike Hummer, watching the musicians play while sipping my ?on the rocks?."

The photos are great - recommend you read the whole review.
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Default Attention grabbing vs. midband or presence balance?

Remember fellas, that the "3-D" soundstage of many pro-Acs is a deliberately engineered in midrange suckout - an exaggerated LS3/5A dip - that pushes the mid right back well behind the speakers giving a "loudness switch" balance.

One reason for re-introducing measurements to reviews.

Are you sure about this comment David? Perhaps I'm not reading you correctly but the review we quoted (two posts ago) said of the Compact 7 ...

"Admittedly, Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 did not have that strong 3D sound of ProAcs" and then went on to add "they [the Compacts] were not that attention grabbing, music did not jump out of them in a forcing or commanding way, but uniformity and flow of the music they produced was delightful ... " etc. etc.

Now, you suggest "that the "3-D" soundstage of many pro-Acs is a deliberately engineered in midrange suckout - an exaggerated LS3/5A dip". I'm struggling to slot-togthther these comments and observations about speaker balance.

1. Is it valid, as you say, to note that the PA's are sucked-out in the midband, and then report the reviewer's comments that, conversely the Compacts are not attention grabbing? Surely, a sucked-out speaker can't by definition be attention grabbing?

Surely it is a dip in the presence region which defines whether a speaker is lacking in attention-grabbing ability, not the midband which defines the weight and warmth?

3. Do you mean that the LS3/5a has a dipped midband? Or what?

Personally, I suspect that we're barking up the wrong tree with this analysis and attributing energy excesses or deficiencies when in fact we should be talking about coloration and not broad energy differences. And sadly, coloration remains as unmeasurable now as it was half a century ago. You have to listen for it and most people are remarkably untroubled by coloration or even drawn to loudspeakers with strong personalities i.e. lots of coloration. They may measure well, but yes, I agree, objective reviewing (measurements) combined with subjective reviewing (trained listening) is best. Best of all is long term exposure to the loudspeaker, at home on music you know.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

I have owned a couple of Proacs before namely the Tablette 2, Response 1S, Response 2 & Studio 100 & have never for a second find or think that they have a 'sucked out' midband. Their midband is in fact rather lean, forward or even shouty at times. Couple that to a treble that is similarly attention grabbing & you'll be forgiven to think that they are very lively & involving. They are in fact very fast & exciting but wears the listener out very quickly. Due to a leaner & brighter sound, many people find them to be very transparent & 'accurate'. However, a lack of weight, body & flesh to the overall sound makes for a less than satisfactory listen in the long run. Harbeths on the other hand sound smoother, sweeter, richer, more 'grown up' if you will & naturally transparent. In short, Harbeth just sounds more correct & musical overall.