Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 specific

Default Re: Harbeth SHL5 specific

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK
    Hi bro, wow nice pic of your new SHL-5.....i reckon a rug placed in the middle of your living room should improve things. Btw, i really like the addition of 30th anniversary sticker with Alan Shaw's signature on the rear...looking forward to visiting you soon...the SHL-5 is a superb spk capable of giving you lashings & lashings of pure musical enjoyment!
    Thanks... I waiting for the rest of my stuff... my turntable and rack... I will let you know once it is all here and break-in.

Cheers.
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

I don't believe it.... I just played "Metallica - The Black Album" on my Harbeth Super HL-5 OFC.... boy oh boy... love the sonics.... fantastic sound. Harbeth SHL-5 timing is just spot on... I would strongly disagree with anyone who say Harbeth can't play rock!

My Setup...
    • Harbeth SHL-5 OFC 30th Anniversary

• Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables

• Lavardin IS Ref Integrated 35 Watts

• Audience AU24 Interconnects

• JLTi Modified Sony DVP-N90 SACD/DVD/CD Player

It is so musical... I can play the whole day!

Thanks Alan for a fantastic speaker....

Soundbyte makes a great point. I agree that Harbeths do a fantastic job at rock music and there seems to be an incorrect notion among some folks that they don't. A large percentage of my listening lately are concert dvds and I love what my C7es2 can do with them.

Soundbyte, if you like Metallica, go treat yourself to Megadeth's United Abominations, it's then that you'll get a taste of some serious rock/metal. Or Megadeth live in Buenos Aires (dvd) is also fantastic.

For me, rock 'n' roll through the SHL5's can be heaven. Particularly a recording with a wide dynamic range, one well-mastered.

Dear Alan and All,

Finally I got my SHL5 30th OFC. No boom in my room. Fresh out from box..sound fantastic!

I said my old C7 sound wonderful. Now I wanna say my SHL5 sound godlike!

I got my dream sound from SHL5. I will keep my C7 and SHL5 for my life.

I am very proud as a Harbethian.

Quote Originally Posted by keithwwk
    Dear Alan and All,

Finally I got my SHL5 30th OFC. No boom in my room. Fresh out from box..sound fantastic!

I said my old C7 sound wonderful. Now I wanna say my SHL5 sound godlike!

I got my dream sound from SHL5. I will keep my C7 and SHL5 for my life.

I am very proud as a Harbethian.

Welcome back bro & congrats on your latest purchase of the SHL-5. It will be the most rewarding investment in a high fidelity loudspeaker you ever made. However, be prepared, you might have plenty of sleep to catch up with once they get under your skin. They are very very addictive. So, you've been warned!

Myron Guest

Default SHL5 with 12-15W amp?

Hello everybody, i need an answer on a critical (for me) question. Has anybody driven the sHL5 with a 12-15wpc amp? Can they be driven with a low watt amp?

Default SHL5 Leben CS-300X or 300B

Quote Originally Posted by Myron
    Hello everybody, i need an answer on a critical (for me) question. Has anybody driven the sHL5 with a 12-15wpc amp? Can they be driven with a low watt amp?
    Hi Myron, i've heard the old HL-5 driven to very good effect by a 7wpc 300B tube amp, so i reckon that a 12-15wpc amp should have no problem driving SHL-5. The SHL-5s are very amp friendly. And, as Jeff Day from 6 moons has mentioned, the SHL-5 can be driven to musically satisfying levels with a Leben CS-300X amp outputting 15wpc.

Default Anyone using Marantz PM11S1 with SHL5?

Hi all,

Any one here using Marantz with Harbeth? I very like to know how Marantz PM11S1 sound with Harbeth..

Thx..

Default Re: Anyone using Marantz PM11S1 with SHL5?

Hi all, Any one here using Marantz with Harbeth? I very like to know how Marantz PM11S1 sound with Harbeth.Thx..
    I used a Marantz PM17 for about 6 years with my HL5LE and liked it very much. I replaced it some years ago by a Marantz PM14MKII KI. I'm not sure if the PM14 was much better. It probaly had a better resulution in the deep bass area. Last year I got some M40s and used them together with the PM14 - fine. There is nothing wrong with any Marantz and they have a very long term stability. They use excellent parts especially for capacitors and volume regulators. I like the KI series but I'm not sure if there is one for the PM11.

But there is another recommendation I have. 3 month ago I replaced the PM14 by a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect because of a massive room problem. The effect of DSP/roomperfect is huge and I never want to miss it anymore. I'm not sure if it matters that mich what kind of amplifier you use with your SHL5. I'm sure that if you spend some money the differences will be very small. But any DSP solution is another story and the TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect is a milestone. If you have a chance then please give it a try.

Thomas

Default Amp too powerful for SHL5?

Hi all,

Now i'm using Classe ca301 (300w) power amp to drive Thiel CS2.4. I'm about to purchase Super HL5 speakers. Is the amp too powerful for the Super HL5? (I like the amp very much.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jmohd
    Hi all, Now i'm using Classe ca301 (300w) power amp to drive Thiel CS2.4.
    I'm about to purchase Super HL5 speakers. Is the amp too powerful for the Super HL5? (I like the amp very much.) Thanks
    I think an amp can never be too powerful for a speaker.
    The opposite is the case when an app has less power and when clipping occurs. This will most likely mean big trouble for the tweaters.

So your 300w monster will be fine ...

Quote Originally Posted by T.W.
    I think an amp can never be too powerful for a speaker....
    We've covered the 'how much power do I need? / Is my amp too small? / Is my amp too powerful?' a few times so it's worth having a look at the archive here.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

I now using 60watts PM17mkII KI too. It sound alright to me too. I just winder if the latest PM11S1 can let my SHL5 sound even better. From your reply, I think I may get better bass resolution from the PM11..Lucky me to not hv serious room problem when place my SHL5 along long wal...But I cant enjoy its excellent bass extension as placed them along short wall.
    Compromise..no choice!

Quote Originally Posted by T.W.
    I used a Marantz PM17 for about 6 years with my HL5LE and liked it very much. I replaced it some years ago by a Marantz PM14MKII KI. I'm not sure if the PM14 was much better. It probaly had a better resulution in the deep bass area. Last year I got some M40s and used them together with the PM14 - fine. There is nothing wrong with any Marantz and they have a very long term stability. They use excellent parts especially for capacitors and volume regulators. I like the KI series but I'm not sure if there is one for the PM11.

But there is another recommendation I have. 3 month ago I replaced the PM14 by a Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect because of a massive room problem. The effect of DSP/roomperfect is huge and I never want to miss it anymore. I'm not sure if it matters that mich what kind of amplifier you use with your SHL5. I'm sure that if you spend some money the differences will be very small. But any DSP solution is another story and the TDAI 2200 with RoomPerfect is a milestone. If you have a chance then please give it a try.

Thomas

I now using 60watts PM17mkII KI too. It sound alright to me too. I just winder if the latest PM11S1 can let my SHL5 sound even better. From your reply, I think I may get better bass resolution from the PM11..Lucky me to not hv serious room problem when place my SHL5 along long wal...But I cant enjoy its excellent bass extension as placed them along short wall.
    Compromise..no choice!
    I wouldn't expect too much from a PM11 compared to your PM17. The shop where I bought my Lyngdorf took my PM17 in payment. When I was there some weeks ago they had a huge Accuphase turned on (the biggest I have ever seen), some quite good speakers (far away from harbeth of course) and some good jazz music. I liked what I heared - very smooth. I "expected" to hear the accuphase but it was my PM17 that they wanted to sell this day.... So don't worry, it's all you need.

granosalis Guest

Default SHL5 and QUAD II amp ... bi-wiring?

Hi to All,
    I'm new to this forum.

I could have a great opportunity to try and by an used SHL5.

With my current speakers (QUAD 21L2) I fount lot of difference from single or bi-wiring. My question is: Which is the best connection style for SHL5? Which are the difference between standard SHL5 and 30th anniversary edition?

I have also a question for T.W. Are you switch from Thiel to Harbeth?

Thanks to all of you
    with friend regards,
    Giuseppe

Default SHL5 and bi-wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by granosalis View Post
    ...Which is the best connection style for SHL5?
    Welcome.... I think the SHL-5 works fine with single wiring... basically I follow my amp recommendations - Single wiring. The difference for SHL-5 vs the SHL-5 30th anniversary is the internal studio grade OFC wires.

Cheers.

I have also a question for T.W.
    Are you switch from Thiel to Harbet?
    No. I switched from my selfmade speakers to a HL5 in 1997. The HL5 was the only speaker I liked. In 2007 I switched to the M40s. They will stay for the next 10 years ...

granosalis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Soundbyte View Post
    Welcome.... I think the SHL-5 works fine with single wiring... basically I follow my amp recommendations - Single wiring. The difference for SHL-5 vs the SHL-5 30th anniversary is the internal studio grade OFC wires.

Cheers.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Well, I don't think it should be an amp recommendation, maybe a speaker recommendation. isn't it?

Thanks for the answer.
    Well, I don't think it should be an amp recommendation, maybe a speaker recommendation. isn't it?
    Well yes and no... there are some certain amp (i.e. Lavardin & Naim) would strongly recommends single wiring even though the speakers support bi-wiring. So I just base on my amp recommendations.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast