Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 specific

Default Harbeth SHL5 specific

This thread specifically relates to the SuperHL5
    Last edited by A.S.; 23-09-2006 at 10:30 AM.

sevodude Guest

Default SHL5 for room 5m x 4m x 2.7m(ht)

I am planning of putting my SHL5 in the above dimensioned room. Just wondering if the room is too small, and will there be problems with bass booms etc. I know that the SHL5 is a large speaker and needs space to breath..
    Thanks
    Nam

Hi Nam,
    mine are placed as follows:

Measuring from (approx.) the center of mid-woofer cone, about 75cm from back wall, and about 45cm from side walls. Toe-in (facing listening spot at about 3m. away) is about 10-12 degrees. Both SHL5s are symmetrically placed.

Room is 5,5m long, 3,25m. tall, and about 3,70m. wide. So, counting from cone-cone, speakerbetween distance is 370mm-90mm= 280mm or 2,80m. approx.
    I have hard surfaces, but good dampening (sofas, chairs, carpets, curtains).

I assure you that you will have better and more tight bass, as you have shorter ceiling, so your upper side reflections will be "faster=more correct", IMHO.

So far, as we are pretty close in room volumes, I tell you "GO,GO,GO!" You'll get amazed. The super 5s are absolutely " A love to live"! No problem with your space, the 5s are not tricky to place. They will equally sing in a smaller room, as well as in a larger than yours, no doubt!

So, enjoy them and love them!

Many regards from Athens,
    Thanos

poison Guest

Default hl5 old model or super hl5

recently i came across an old hl5. ( have not audition it yet ) anyone can give me more feedbacks in comparing these speakers.

hl5 or super hl5......

which model will be the one? of course hl5 is an old unit.

thanks.

sevodude Guest

Quote Originally Posted by poison
    recently i came across an old hl5. ( have not audition it yet ) anyone can give me more feedbacks in comparing these speakers.

hl5 or super hl5......

which model will be the one? of course hl5 is an old unit.

thanks.
    Well, I have not heard the HL5 vs the new SHL5
    The new SHL5 suppose to have a new radial driver, so supoosed to sound better, clearer etc. BUt not sure of how much in the context of a A/B comparison. Any helpers out there?

Nam
    Singapore.

Default Original HL5 v SHL5

Quote Originally Posted by poison
    recently hl5 or super hl5......which model will be the one? .
    The first point to note is that there are no woofers available for the HL5* as it clearly says on the website http://www.harbeth.co.uk/sales/servi...ares/index.php so you need to be realistic about that.

Second, the HL5 had a foam grille, which was replaced by the SHL5s cloth grille/SuperFrame.

Third .... do you think that we'd put the care, love and attention into designing the SHL5 if it couldn't outperform its predecessor?

{Moderator's comment - typo corrected*.}
    Last edited by HUG-1; 01-12-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo, HL5 not SHL5
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

poison Guest

Default hl5 old model or super hl5

thanks for the feedback. I am sure lots of time, sweat has been applied to this new technology of super hl5. RADIAL cone..........sound so sweet and musical.......

actually reason for asking this "stupid " questions is that someone is trying to sell his old hl5 to me. I have always wanted a super hl5. thus, i was thinking it will be good to have some feedbacks from some harbeth-ians.

hmmmm....i have yet to owe a harbeth, but, it will not take long.
    churzs!!!!!

WJB Lee Guest

Default Super HL-5 ES2 - what is it?

Dear Alan & friends

Noted Alan & some reports of CES 2006 mentioned there will be a
    Super HL-5 ES2 coming up. Please advise what is the major improvement
    from the current model. Thanks a lot.

Best regards

Quote Originally Posted by WJB Lee
    Noted Alan & some reports of CES 2006 mentioned there will be a Super HL-5 ES2 coming up. Please advise what is the major improvement
    from the current model. Thanks a lot.
    Thanks for your feedback but it's a pity the 'reporter' doesn't bother to ask me, the designer, before going to press!

I've never heard of such a model and I definitely have no plans to even look at the SHL5 as it's successful and selling very well. There is not a cent of truth in this 'report'.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

WJB Lee Guest

Dear Alan

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

I even mis-read your previous reply in your mail msg about
    the spec of SHL-5 . "...............The later HL5ES2 and current
    SHL5 use the Harbeth RADIAL driver. The crossovers are
    very similar from the original HL5....."

Sorry for the confusion caused.

Best regards

Default Please check with me!

Quote Originally Posted by WJB Lee
    Dear Alan Thank you very much for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion caused.
    No problem! If you hear or read something *tantalising* feel free to check with me before over-exciting yourself!
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

James Beltran Guest

And I was ready to place an order at once without the need for an audition...Comes with owning Harbeths for 25 years.

We are just not like a "normal" commercial company! We have never been under pressure to so-called 'upgrade' just to keep the tills ringing. Of course, from time to time either my slowly developing skills, my test equipment or my curiosity gets the better of me and I dust down the Log Book for a given model and see where I left off many years previously.

But its a rare thing to actually see a clear path to genuine hand on heart improvement. Phantom 'marketing upgrades' have no place here. Before you can believe in an upgrade, I have to.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

amadeuswus Guest

Default Cause for over-excitement?

Quote Originally Posted by A.S.
    No problem! If you hear or read something *tantalising* feel free to check with me before over-exciting yourself!

Hi Alan,

Hope you can save me from myself! I have read that the 25th Anniversary edition speakers (2002) were built to especially high standards, higher than the Harbeth norm. I found this a little hard to believe--just imagine the 1/1/03 memo: you can go back to your old routine now!

Is this something that reviewers dreamed up?

Thanks,
    Edward

Default 25th Anniversary ...

I personally polished every cabinet by hand. Some I even gave them a little farewell hug to.

As a good father, I've never been comfortable with the idea of promoting any one of our three children above the other two. They are all special, and about the most favouritism we could be guilty of is slipping a nice shiny apple in one of their pockets as they leave the house in the morning.

"Be happy with what you have".

But you've given me an idea .... 2007 will be our 30th Anniversary. Um ...... (thinks) .... I wonder what new tricks I might have up my sleeve by then? I'll have to strain my wearly old brain and see what pops out!
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default 30th Anniversary

How about offering speakers in an unusual veneer that isn't normally available. This would be something special for that year only.

WJB Lee Guest

Default Super HL-5 Silver Signature

Dear Alan & Friends

Noted there was discussion about the SHL-5 Sliver Signature in my
    "wrong" topic "SHL-5 ES2". Think I 'd better start a new one to ask
    questions about this beautiful speakers.

http://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/.../SHL5_BACK.jpg

Noted message in old smartgroup talking about the sonic difference (other
    than the beautiful veneer). If there is any different crossover / speakers
    units / wire used in this limited edition and how many pair of them produced
    worldwide?

Thanks & regards

Default SHL5 Ebony

I can't recall how many were made; I do recall that we selected the very flattest drive units. One thing I would like to mention is that we under-costed that SS Ebony project from the start, and compared to the standard cherry SHL5, we actually lost money on every single pair - I think it calculates as about ?50/pair.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

AlanW Guest

Default Upgrading to SHL5 from other speakers ...

I've had my Super HL5's for a couple of months now. It is unparralleled in my experience how they "get out of the way" and let the musical performances speak for themselves without intrusion. I am also continually amazed by their soundstaging and imaging performance, not to mention the realism of the orchestral instuments themselves on good classical recordings. The HL5's actually better my previous speakers (upgraded/modified KEF 101's) in the imaging and soundstaging department, and I had consistently found the KEFs to out-image all of the other speakers I had compared them to previously. I would not have thought this possible given the much larger size of the HL5 cabinet.

Another major improvement over the KEFs is the image size and midrange purity. The KEFs, being a mini-monitor, tended to miniaturize the images, and it is thrilling now to hear bass strings as they sound with great seats at a live performance. Also, the string sound is the finest I've ever heard, as subtle variations in tone and phrasing are now laid bare. Obviously, the low-end performance of the Harbeths is another world entirely compared to the KEFs. Overall I couldn't be happier with the Harbeths, and consider them to be my best-ever audio purchase.
    Last edited by A.S.; 24-03-2007 at 06:06 PM.

Leo C Guest

Default SuperHL5 serial numbers?

Hello gents could you tell me the age of SHL5's with serial numbers 8170 L&R.
    Last edited by A.S.; 24-03-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Page 1 of 22 1234567891011 ... LastLast