Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 specific

Default Re: Harbeth SHL5 specific

O.k., i understand, i have asked this, because usually the news versions, usually are better that the previous.Regards.

Default Super Tweeter

Dear Alan,
    I notice some current SHL5 used (1) half-flat-front frame-tweeter and some used (2) completely-flat-front-frame-tweeter. Base on what I had learnt here, the metal grille on the M40.1, 7ES3 and P3ESR tweeter had affected the dispersion of the high freq. I thought the two physically different super tweeter I mentioned above (1) and (2) shd at least have a little bit of effect on the high freq too. In fact, some owners who onwed shl5 with (1) upgrade to shl5 with (2) reported said the (2) give more open, extended airly high than the shl5 used (1).

Interesting and I wonder is that true?

(1)

(2)
    "Bath in Music"

If AS would be willing to share, I would be most interested to read what instigated these changes to the tweeter? If not, I understand.

ruzhyo Guest

I saw a SHL5 "Rendezvous" Special edition on ebay.

What is the difference btw that and the 30th Anniversay edition?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110532281772

How many different Special Edition are there??

In fact, there have been three different super tweeter versions during the life of the SHL5. Making a super tweeter is a very tricky technical challenge, and during our incoming QC we rejected about 40% of one type and threw them away. The supplier couldn't meet our quality standard - and worse, their commitment to resolving the issues was non-existent so we scrapped the tooling and re-tooled at another supplier. That's the expensive way to make a super tweeter but has restored the reject rate to just a few percent. Unless your friends are teenagers (or bats) I'd be astonished if they can hear any differences as the measured performance is very similar. I certainly can't hear any.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Rendezvous edition and some personal thought...

If I not wrong, the Rendezvous ver was special made for TW. It was inspired by an extremely wonderfull Alan/Harbethian gathering in TW..Made with Tiger Ebony and OFC cabling inside and a gold plate pasted at back bottom panel there. This model was before 30th Anniversary.
    Last edited by keithwwk; 20-05-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Tried to amend the title but can not...
    "Bath in Music"

Quote Originally Posted by ruzhyo View Post
    I saw a SHL5 "Rendezvous" Special edition on ebay.

What is the difference btw that and the 30th Anniversay edition?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110532281772

How many different Special Edition are there??
    I bought those speakers, BTW. And they are magnificent!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDC View Post
    I bought those speakers, BTW. And they are magnificent!
    Congratulations and its absolutely beautiful. Ive seen photos of this finish and they are eye popping.

Hi Alan, in jest only , what's with the "Studiograde, Utltrapure OFC internal wire"? hee hee hee. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by kittykat View Post
    Congratulations and its absolutely beautiful. Ive seen photos of this finish and they are eye popping.

Hi Alan, in jest only , what's with the "Studiograde, Utltrapure OFC internal wire"? hee hee hee. ;-)
    Well, the use of studio grade ultra OFC internal wire would naturally confer better sonics overall...at least that's what i'd like to think as a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Well, the use of studio grade ultra OFC internal wire would naturally confer better sonics overall...at least that's what i'd like to think as a customer.
    hee hee hee. im having a very friendly chuckle. my colleagues think im a little nutty,

Just bought a pair of SHL5 in rosewood. Looking fwd for the years of enjoyment to come.

Hi godlau,

Welcome to the HUG and congrats on the new purchase. Pls post pictures of your system.

Quote Originally Posted by godlau View Post
    Just bought a pair of SHL5 in rosewood. Looking fwd for the years of enjoyment to come.
    Hey Gordon, welcome to the HUG forum! Nice to see you here and at the Naim forum. ;)

Hi everyone,

After a long wait, here they are. I received my Harbeth SHL5 yesterday. I was so excited and I already cumulated 8 hours of listening.

First of all, these speakers are magic. I'm not tempted to describe them in terms of "bass is like this, mid like that, resolution like this, soundstage like that". No. The comment that will resume the best my feeling is that these are the speakers that make me feel the emotion of the music. Like no other have done in the past. They have a little something that's difficult to describe. Balance, musical, warm, natural ? Maybe all of these. It is like entering a new universe.

Yes, I will rediscover my LP and CD collection but I will discover a new way to enjoy music. And yes, they can play any types of music. Yes, they are addictive. Yes, thank you Alan and all the Harbeth team. Yes, Thank you.

Sebastien

Not being able to say anything about your Harbeth speakers actually says a lot!

Enjoy your new musical instruments, Sebastien!

Default My SHL5s have arrived - these speakers are magic

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    Hi everyone,

After a long wait, here they are. I received my Harbeth SHL5 yesterday. I was so excited and I already cumulated 8 hours of listening. First of all, these speakers are magic.... Yes, I will rediscover my LP and CD collection but I will discover a new way to enjoy music. And yes, they can play any types of music. Yes, they are addictive. Yes, thank you Alan and all the Harbeth team. Yes, Thank you.

Sebastien
    Hi Sebastien, welcome to the club. Yes Harbeth speakers not only reproduce sound but also bring you the heart & soul of the music that is usually missing from other speakers.

Tran Khoa Guest

Default SHL5 - bought where?

HI Sebastien
    Did you got it from Claude? at Son Ideal?
    I got mine also with the Cronus Magnum yesterday.... now i just need a CD player or a Dac.. right now im using my p3 to play it... wish to have more money to spend for music

Default Shl5

Quote Originally Posted by Tran Khoa View Post
    HI Sebastien
    Did you got it from Claude? at Son Ideal?
    I got mine also with the Cronus Magnum yesterday.... now i just need a CD player or a Dac.. right now im using my p3 to play it... wish to have more money to spend for music
    Hi Tran,

I've got mine from a private seller. I also enjoy them mostly via my Rega P3 turntable which I really like for already 4 years now.

I wish you a lot of good listening time with your new Harbeth.

Sebastien

Can someone pls kindly tell me wht's SHL5's nomina impedance? brochure said 8ohms but the current website said 6? 'cos i'm have borrowed a pair of Lamm M 1.2 monoblocs and need to set the imedance settings. either 1-6 ohm or 8-16 ohm. thks

{Moderators comment: Use either. It will make no practical difference. Did you look on the Harbeth SHL5 web page? If you did, you'll see an impedance curve. Can you say from studying the curve the speaker is 6 or 8 ohms? No, we can't either because it's not a flat line at 6 or 8 ohms. The curve is to be found here.}

Default SHL5 impdedance

thks. i just look at the curve now, and it seems they will never dip below 6 ohms or so.... shd be easy load for amps then.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast