Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth SHL5 specific

askoe Guest

Default Re: Harbeth SHL5 specific

Hi everybody!

I've never actually heard a Harbeth speaker, but I've been doing a lot of googling the last few days and the SHL5 might be exactly what I'm looking for.

My room is 23x16x6,5 my speakers are placed on the long wall. The listening position is between 8-9 feet from the speakers. The speakers will have to be placed pretty close to the backwall (15"-17"). The room is not so well damped.

Would any of the above mentioned cause a problem with the SHL5?

I'm using Densen Beat amps: Pre B-250 and power B-350 monoblocks (150w 8 ohms and 250w 4 ohms) Densen is danish so i guess not a lot of You has any experience with the synergi between Harbeth and Densen?

Is it possible to get the SHL5 in black ash??

Hi my new demonstration Harbeth SHL5 speakers arrived yesterday in Cherry finish. I have them set up in my audio room which is 7.5 meters long by 4.5 meter wide & 2.450 meters in Height.

I am using the emmLabs CDSA CD/SACD player & SME 20.2a Turntable with SME V tone arm for source playback, the amplifier consists of the new Quicksilver reference valve preamplifier and Quicksilver Triode mono blocks (50 watts triode output) matched with the Harbeth SHL5 speakers.

After 5 hours continuous playing at a good listening level I sat down for a quick listen late last night playing the Stockfisch Records Sampler Volume one SACD, the Harbeth SHL5 filled the room with music.

I must say at the end of the day it was wonderful to relax in to my leather listening chair switch off any outside stresses & be refreshed with music. Honestly I have played & owned many loudspeakers over the years but I can not recommend to you enough how right sounding the Harbeth SHL5 speakers play music.

Alan, Andy & the Harbeth team thanks again.
    Cheers Jason.

Parmenter Sound Harbeth Audio distributor in New Zealand.

Coming up to two weeks, it just keeps getting better & better, listening to Radio 3 playing Strauss: Don Juan on my Quad FM4 through the SHL5s, bliss!

PS come on Jensen, lets make it two out of two in Malaysia

Default SHL5 and room size again

I have been using and really enjoying a pair of SHL5s for a couple of months, driven by a Quad 909 power amp. I mostly really enjoy them but have what is undoubtedly a room size issue.

My room is about 15ft x 12 ft, so obviously small for the SHL5. I have had no problems with excessive bass, but what I do find is that the music is sometimes too "big", and therefore overpowering. It's as if I have invited a number of real musicians to perform for me in my small sitting room, and they are jostling with each other for more room to perform! The speakers are never ever too much in terms of fatiguing, but rather in terms of scale.

Is there something I can do to slightly reduce the scale of the presentation, to give more room for individual instruments and performers? Or is it simply that I should perhaps have gone for the 7es3's? I could always change to the Compact 7s but I would be loathe to, as there is just so much about the SHL5's that I love.

Any thoughts?

HI tozen,

I'm using the SHL5 in my even smaller room, about 15 ft x 9.5ft x 8.5 ft height. I have no problem at all, the imaging, sound stage and depth among other things is superb (to me).

IMO, your sitting position and speakers position may be the issue. Try to re-position them.

Rgds

Default Re: SHL5 and room size again

tozen,

Could you give us an idea of how the speakers are placed in the room, some photos would be useful.

Default Re: SHL5 and room size again

Thank you both for your thoughts. Getting some pics sounds like a good idea. I will see what I can do in the next 24 hours.

Regards,

I have been playing around a bit with positioning as you suggested. What I have found is that, due to the large soundstage and palpable, life-size imaging, they like to be quite far apart. The best position sound-wise entails placing one of the speakers so close to the door as to impede entry! So maybe they do in fact like a slightly bigger space to recreate the sound stage they are capable of? I find that where I really need them further apart is in recreating the sweep of an orchestra or choir. When they are (only) 5-6 feet apart instruments and voices don't seem to have enough room to breathe. When they are 7-8 feet apart everything really clicks into place in a satisfying way. Is this the sort of distance apart you have them?

Currently listening to Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite and the SHL5 both caresses and thunders as required. Very satisfying

My SHL5 need to apart at least 7ft in my room too. If less than that, the center imageing, esply vocal, can be too big.

Which Grieg's Peer Gynt Suite you listen to? My favourite is Karajan gold version.

Mine is Herbert Blomstedt, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra - sounds fantastic!

Hi,

I currently have a pair of P3s which are great - but I am considering upgrading. I was wondering if a naim nait 5i would drive a pair of HL5s circa 1994?

Cheers

Andy

Three weeks and the SHL5s just keep on surprising (and scaring) me!

Krzysztof Penderecki

Tren (Threnody), "To the Victims of Hiroshima"

Fluorescences

Kosmogonia

De Natura Sonoris, No. 2

Last night, lights out, just a single candle

Scared the c**p out of myself!

Eurythmics, I'd forgotten how good DnA were!

Playing "Touch"

Sounds stunning through the Harbeths!

On to "Be yourself tonight" and the track "Ball & chain" a section of the song, which on all previous kit just switches from left to right, now circles the listening position creating a sound behind me, a very strange sensation indeed!

I've been listening to music for over six hours straight now!

Hi All,

Can SHL5 perform well in pop, rock, heavy metal or techno music? Can the 'thin" designed wooden speaker cabinet able to sustain the vibration or pressure caused by the excessive BASS notes.... I plan to get SHL5 but just wondering if they are designed to play all types of music both classical and modern songs.TQ

Regards,

In my opinion the Harbeths are great speakers for rock and metal (I dont listen to techno), I primarily play that type of music on my C7s and love their performance.

Quote Originally Posted by aawcy View Post
    Hi All,

Can SHL5 perform well in pop, rock, heavy metal or techno music? Can the 'thin" designed wooden speaker cabinet able to sustain the vibration or pressure caused by the excessive BASS notes.... I plan to get SHL5 but just wondering if they are designed to play all types of music both classical and modern songs.TQ

Regards,
    of course, SHL5 is an all-round performer; for all genre such as metal, rock, rap, urban, vocal, jazz, classical! you shouldn't be worrying about the SHL5 design, it's the recoding media that you should focus on. for example, Some CD from some well-known labels sound awful; some CD were badly recorded/master that it's not worth for playback

reminder: get a veneer/color that u'll fancy because u gonna keep'em for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    reminder: get a veneer/color that u'll fancy because u gonna keep'em for a long time.
    Veneer selections are limited to Cherry (std.) and eucalyptus only.

In my experience the HL5s work really really well with rock 'n' roll, soul, R&B and techno, from early Alice Cooper to Sam Cooke to Carl Craig. Again, there are many factors; the source recording/mastering, the room, the gear etc. But I will say this, once I got mine set up properly I knew there wasn't another speaker in the world for me.

My own new SHL5s have arrived :D

Not much to add, other than they sound the same as the demo pair and a graphic warning not to leave them in direct sunlight!

Demo speaker

My new ones

Plus the gratuitous nekkid shot!

Many thanks to all at Harbeth and the user group.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vlado Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen PG View Post

My own new SHL5s have arrived :D
    Hi Stephen,
    I wish you a lot of fun and many undisturbed hours of plesure with your favorite music!

Hi Stephen,
    Thanks for the photos. I like the one showed the woodgrain.
    Enjoy your musics and hope you got enough sleep!

cheers!

PS: Your new shl5 woodgrain will become as nice as the demo pair after some time. I like cherry.
    Last edited by keithwwk; 03-05-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: add PS

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast