Hallo,
    I'd like to know Official U.K. price of Harbeth Monitor 30
    Thank you,

regards

David

berenello Guest

Default Re: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Hi,
    i came across a pair of used monitor 30 that reports a "25th anniversary" on the back.
    I'd like to know what are the differences with the common "domestic" version and if the domestic version, in general, is shielded as it is reported about the professional version.
    thank you
    Paolo

airdavid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by berenello
    Hi,
    i came across a pair of used monitor 30 that reports a "25th anniversary" on the back.
    I'd like to know what are the differences with the common "domestic" version and if the domestic version, in general, is shielded as it is reported about the professional version.
    thank you
    Paolo
    Ciao Paolo,
    what are your system?
    you can write to me via pm.
    Thank you!
    Ciao,

David

airdavid Guest

Default Quad II-Forty with Monitor 30

Hallo,
    does anyone listen to Monitor 30 with 2 mono amps Quad II-Forty (40 watts each) ?

Bye

David

airdavid Guest

Default Quad II-Forty with Monitor 30

Hallo,
    does anyone listen to Monitor 30 with 2 mono amps Quad II-Forty (40 watts each) ?

Bye

David

Halrich Guest

Just sold my HL-P3es-2's. They were about as good as you can get for
    a small monitor speaker. Being a huge Bill Evans fan - outstanding!
    However - I now am replacing them with Monitor 30's. Do they sound better
    with grills on? Also, what is the height of your stands?
    I will probably buy Sound Anchor - I had great results on
    the P3's.

I really like these speakers!
    Best Regards All,
    Hal

airdavid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Halrich
    the P3's.

I really like these speakers!
    Best Regards All,
    Hal

Yes, they sound good with grills on.
    I use mid-weight Skylan stands with 2 columns ( www.skylanstands.com ), 60cm (= 24") high

bye

David

Bruce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Halrich
    Do they sound better
    the P3's
    My sound anchor stands are 24" tall. This puts the tweeter at about 36 -3/4" from the floor. I think they sound better with the grilles off. But there's not much difference.

airdavid Guest

How about Monitor 30 with cheap Naim Nait 5i amp?
    Have you ever tried or listened to them?

Alan,
    thank you for your reply about M30 birth ( 1999 for BBC PRO version): but what's year production of DOMESTIC model of M30?

Thank you

David

jaybar Guest

To A.S and Harbeth Model 30 users:

I am using the speakers in a very neirfield position, where I sit about 64" from the speakers and they are the same distance apart. They are well away from boiundaries.

Should I be listening on axis or slightly off axis.

Currently I can see a bit on the inside of each cabinet when they are toed in.

What do you recommend, or what have you found?

Thanks in Advance,

Jay

Hi Jay,

Our setups sound very similar. I use a little less toe in.

What is it about your current setup which disturbs you?

One other hint which may help is to check to ensure the speakers are the correct height for your listening position. Try to have your ears at or slightly below the tweeter. Also check to see if the speakers are level from front to back. Another important area to look at is damping the 1st reflection points on the floor, side walls and ceiling.

One other thought Jay, if you would like to contact me off list I can send you a photo of my setup so you can compare toe in with your own.

Don
    westcoastaudio@shaw.ca

the P3's.

Hal, being the owner of a pair pf P3s and also a Bill Evans fan, I'm intrigued to know whether the M30s offer a significant improvement.

Thanks

David

Halrich Guest

David-
    I will give you a personal opinion as soon as my 30's arrive.
    Because of factory delivery, i'm told it may be 45-60 days.
    Does anyone else hear of 2 month (aprox) delivery times for
    M 30?
    I am so looking forward to these!!
    Regards,
    Hal

gregoryt Guest

Default Setting up M30 with subwoofer

I would like to integrate my new M30s with a subwoofer pair I'm constructing. I plan to use the TacT2.2X to implement a digital xover as well as room correction for the system. Would you please offer advice on what xover frequency and slope(s) you would recommend? I would also be grateful for any other advice you could offer about setup.

The subwoofers are each comprised of two TCsounds TC9 powered 15" drivers in a 6 cu. ft. sealed box and powered by (up to) 2400 watt amplifiers. Thanks,

Gregory

amadeuswus Guest

Default Re: Setting up M30 with subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryt
    I would like to integrate my new M30s with a subwoofer pair I'm constructing. I plan to use the TacT2.2X to implement a digital xover as well as room correction for the system. Would you please offer advice on what xover frequency and slope(s) you would recommend? I would also be grateful for any other advice you could offer about setup.

Gregory
    Hi Gregory,

I hope the designer doesn't mind a stray comment from another user. I use a TacT 2.2x with M30s and a pair of dipole Gradient sw-63 woofers (designed for Quads). The crossover setting is 200hz, 4th order (the actual -6db point will be lower than 200hz; you can see this on the TacT screen). One review of the 2.2x says not to go higher than 4th order so as to avoid ringing, particularly if you don't always center yourself between the speakers. (You can find the Hi-fi News review on the TacT website, I think.) But not everyone agrees, and your situation may well be different.

Edward

gregoryt Guest

Edward,

Thanks for your reply. I had supposed that 200HZ might be a suitable xover point since I'm told that the M40's cross over from the bass to midrange is at 200HZ. I did expect to have to experiment.

Did you try higher order xovers? I have used higher order xovers with other speakers with the TacT but I used Uli Brueggeman's SW to generate xovers and corrections. I didn't hear any ringing and I think that theoretically, at least, the ringing that occurs is many DB lower than the music level. I saw the HiFi News review and I was surprised that the reviewer could hear so much ringing.

Gregory

amadeuswus Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryt

Did you try higher order xovers? I have used higher order xovers with other speakers with the TacT but I used Uli Brueggeman's SW to generate xovers and corrections. I didn't hear any ringing and I think that theoretically, at least, the ringing that occurs is many DB lower than the music level. I saw the HiFi News review and I was surprised that the reviewer could hear so much ringing.

Gregory
    Hi Gregory,

I've tried 6th and 8th order too. I can't say that I am aware of any ringing, but I did prefer 4th. It sounded fuller and more relaxed to me. A friend thought the higher order crossovers sounded more "resolved" and transparent.

Robert Greene of the Absolute Sound reviewed the TacT using the 10th order crossover to corner woofers at 250hz, and he thought the sound (with M40 main speakers) was a revelation.

Edward

Quote Originally Posted by amadeuswus
    ... I've tried 6th and 8th order too. I can't say that I am aware of any ringing, but I did prefer 4th. It sounded fuller and more relaxed to me....
    The key point to bear in mind when grafting the output of a subwoofer onto the sonic output from a main (satellite) speaker is to mirror the roll-off of the main speaker in-room to the roll-up of the subwoofer.

Probably (I'm estimating here) a typical Harbeth speaker has an in-room (i.e. the natural roll-off of the speaker somewhat arrested by the low frequency boost that all domestic rooms seem to have) roll-off of somewhere about 3-10dB per octave right at the bottom end of the audio range - say below 80Hz. Now that implies that to get a flat overall in room response (if that is your objective) you should fade-in the sub's contribution at a corresponding shallow 3-10dB whilst leaving the speaker to contribute its full capabilities right down to the very lowest frequencies.

Now, a gentle slope like 3-10dB implies a low order filter - say, 1st or second order. So, what happens if we use a subwoofer with a contribution that has a sharper (higher order) filter? In theory there would be a mismatch which would cause a hole in the combined response but alternatively it could result in a bump where the sub and main speaker outputs sum over a certain bandwidth. It would critically depend upon finding a suitable "transition frequency" being the highest frequency that the sub could be unobtrusively blended.

An alternative strategy is to deliberately cut-off the low frequency signals that would normally reach the main speakers and send all of them to the sub or subs in the frequency splitting circuitry inside the better subs. Then you could indeed abruptly truncate the LF end of the main speakers at say, 100Hz (where the main speakers have a flat output) with a 4th order filter and blend that with a sub with a similar 4th order filter but probably not also at 100Hz - a lower corner frequency of perhaps 90Hz or so for the sub may sum the sub and main speakers to flat considering all the time delays between sound from the sub and main speakers.

In my experience, a sub filter of about 12-18dB (2nd or 3rd order) with a crossover at an absolute maximum of 60Hz seems to work universally well. Possibly as or more important than the filter slope is that the sub has a variable phase control.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast