Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Default Harbeth Monitor 30. AirTight ATM-20

I have to agree the Harbeth Monitor 30 are wonderfully voiced loudspeakers, I am listening to my pair while reading this thread.
    I am using the AirTight ATM-2 80 watt valve amplifier matched with the AirTight ATC -2 valve preamplifier matched with the Harbeth Monitor 30.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Air Tight & Leben in the UK

Nice system.

Pity the Air Tight and Leben products are sooooo expensive in the UK. It's because they go through a 'Worldwide distributor', adding a further layer of markup.

Default My M30 and M40.1

Hi Dave
    Thanks for the positive feedback on my system.
    I change between the Leben CS 600 Integrated & the Air Tight amplifiers for my audio demonstrations, both manufacturers amplifiers work incredibly well with the Harbeth loudspeaker range.

My Harbeth monitor 40.1 will be placed in this demonstration system soon and the Harbeth Monitor 30 will be going in to my smaller demonstration audio room Length 7.5 meters x Width 4.5 meter x Height 2.450 meters.

Default One set of binding posts conversion. Can it be done?

Of course I understand this will void the warranty and should be done by someone skilled enough, but I wonder if it's possible to combine the two leads coming off the crossover to one set of binding posts on the back of the M30. This will eliminate the need for jumpers or biwiring. Has anyone tried this?

Default Don't mess with the design

Quote Originally Posted by zindra View Post
    Of course I understand this will void the warranty and should be done by someone skilled enough, but I wonder if it's possible to combine the two leads coming off the crossover to one set of binding posts on the back of the M30. This will eliminate the need for jumpers or biwiring. Has anyone tried this?
    And what will you gain? What's the point? The jumpers add nothing, and take nothing away from the sound.

{Moderator's comment: just you wait until you hear the story revealed today about a false warranty claim and sending spare parts. Woofer? No. Tweeter? No. Crossover? No. What then ..... non-Harbeth biwire link broken inside.}

Default One set of binding posts conversion. Can it be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    And what will you gain? What's the point? The jumpers add nothing, and take nothing away from the sound.

{Moderator's comment: just you wait until you hear the story revealed today about a false warranty claim and sending spare parts. Woofer? No. Tweeter? No. Crossover? No. What then ..... non-Harbeth biwire link broken inside.}
    I started by saying that this modification, like any other, of course, would null the warranty. Whoever claims a false warranty claim is as false as his claim.
    I don't agree that jumpers don't make a difference, nor that telephone guides make for great stands, or that electrical wire is good enough for speaker cable, and so on, but that's only my perception, and another story. The M30 is a great speaker, but If jumpers or biwiring are irrelevant, the whole concept of using two binding posts is flawed and shouldn't have been used to start with, I've read this already discussed elsewhere. It's not my intention to start an argument on that matter, I'd just like to know if the single binding post conversion can be done and how, and if someone has successfully done it.

Default Just relax and enjoy your M30s

I don't believe you can do that conversion internally, as IIRC, the crossover attaches to the four terminals and there are no flying leads to move.

So, relax and enjoy them as they are.

Default My M30s

Ok. That's all I wanted to know, thank you very much.

I really like the M30s, the only thing I miss from time to time is a bit more of foundation and size, more sense of real venue. Maybe because I come from full range big speakers. When I bought them I couldn't audition the SHL5, the dealer has them now and I'll give them a try to see if they perform better in that sense. I did audition the C7 at my home and there was something about the treble that didn't fit my preferences.

Default Monitor 30 sense of scale and range>>> SHL5?

I've had the Monitor 30 for a few months now, great speaker, great timbre, but as I said in a previous post, I am missing the authority and sense of scale that my previous full range speakers had.

I changed to (the smaller) M30 because the full range boxes were too big to live with (for my wife, specially). I don't know if it's the bass not going as deep. I listen mostly to classical and jazz, 95% acoustic instruments. Piano with the Monitor 30, for example, although very well presented, lacks the punch and authority I had before. Listening to Gilels' Beethoven on CD or Pollini on vinyl, the previous illusion of being there, sitting in the front row listening to a full size piano is not happening, specially when the lower keys are hit. Maybe those deep harmonics are needed to make the illusion and visceral impact.

To check the speakers range I just did a test with the Stereophile Test CD, surprisingly, bass went down to 31.5Hz (at 25kHz it became inaudible), more than specified. On the contrary, treble was cut at 12.5kHz (next track, 16kHz was inaudible), when it's supposed to go up to 20kHz. The rest of the system is the same I had with the previous speakers and I also performed the test with them.

When I got the M30 I couldn't audition the SHL5, I did test the C7 but I preferred the M30, the C7 had something in the upper mids/treble that was not as convincing to me. I now wonder if the SHL5, being a larger cabinet and having more bass, would be a better choice to get that sense of involvement and real scale of the music.

Default Sense of scale of the SHL5

Hi Zindra,

You are now missing the "sense of scale" and some of the highest frequencies of the range with your M30. As a SHL5 owner for one year and a half now, I can tell you that this speaker gives a real sense of scale. I couldn't ask for more. Plus, it has a supertweeter, which you might like, because it offers more high frequencies. But be careful, we all lost sensibility to hear high frequencies when we go older.

Have a good day,

Sébastien

{Moderator's comment: Yes as we age our HF range definitely contracts but we can still enjoy music perfectly. Alan commented recently that he doesn't believe he can hear much above about 12-14kHz (he's 54). Much better than the average person for his age. How old are you?}

Default Adjusting the whole syste,

Hi, Zindra.
    Have you made attempts to change some things and try optimize your setup to find another soundbalance? You're not only listening to the speakers but to your whole setup ! Just replacing the speakers may not be enough to your liking

If I replace my C7 by my P3 I have to use some other adjustments in setup to get the better of the P3, so...

Default Perfect subwoofer match

I am using a Velodyne DD-10 subwoofer to augment my M30's and it is really a perfect match. It gives me just the extra bass, nothing more. I really cannot pinpoint the sub at all and the M30's have received loads of scale, punchy bassdrums, deep lows (down to 15 Hz) and a much better soundscape.

Don't skimp on the quality of the sub and have someone knowledgeable calibrate it to the system and room. The DD-10 is set at 50 Hz crossover, 24 dB/octave and only some minor eq at I think 35 or so Hz and a minor boost at 15 Hz.

Default Super-hearing

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastien View Post
    Hi Zindra,

{Moderator's comment: Yes as we age our HF range definitely contracts but we can still enjoy music perfectly. Alan commented recently that he doesn't believe he can hear much above about 12-14kHz (he's 54). Much better than the average person for his age. How old are you?}
    I am 43, I am certainly losing sight, but my ears still seem fine! I know I can hear it because I did the same test with the previous full range speakers.

Default Bigger box = bigger scale?

What optimization would you suggest...? Except for positioning, which I've already fiddled around, even lowering the speakers to reinforce bass, I don't want to start replacing components and such. The system is fine. I think I am going to try to audition the SHL5 when I have the chance, maybe try to work out a trade in deal from the dealer if I finally prefer them to the M30.

Regarding the addition of a sub, I appreciate the suggestion but It's an approach I don't consider, I downsized the boxes to keep it simple, I'd rather try a bigger box like the SLH5 than add a sub. My goal is not only better bass, but better scale and sense of venue. Best.

Default M30 v. SHL5

Hello Zindra, did you see the pic I posted on the M30 on the cradle stand you where interested in?

I also have the M30s and listen predominately to classical music with a strong bias on the Piano. I've found that I've gotten the best authority. bass impact and sense of scale that you've mention by positioning my M30s in the middle of the room ( I pull them into this position for critical listening) The theory is explained here:
    http://www.immediasound.com/Speaker%20set-up%202009.pdf it might be worth a try?.

As to the SHL5's, Like you I never got the chance to compare them at my dealer (who much preferred the M30s) but did listened to the C7s. I've been told by a number of dealers that even though the SH5s have more bass I could quite possible (after having living with the M30s for some 5 years now) find myself missing the unique qualities that the M30's have if I changed them (which I have no plan in doing!).

But obviously if you have the opportunity to listen to both that would be the ideal option.

Default Importance of a dedicated room (acoustic)

[QUOTE=P.C.;16057]Hello Zindra, did you see the pic I posted on the M30 on the cradle stand you where interested in?

Yes, I did see the pic, thank you. I contacted Pear Audio but they don't make it anymore. I posted a reply before to this before but I probably did something wrong and it doesn't show. Opposite of you, the dealer loved SHL5 but didn't have it in store, so I compared C7 and M30 and got the M30 which really has it's magic going on, and some shortcomings in my room.

Maybe this is the key: "in my room". I may love the SHL5 at the dealer's dedicated and treated room and then like them less than the M30 in my place. It's a never ending search and it's fun, only pitty is the funds (in my case) are so limited!

Default Port symmetry

Right Ported M-30???

On the Products Page of the Official Harbeth website, the M-30 Studio shown grouped together with the others has it's port on the right side. Of course, if you click on it, the one shown there is ported on the left the same as the Domestic and any other M-30 I've ever seen. I've always wondered why the port arrangement was not symmetrical. I asked my dealer and he said "because it doesn't have to be, and its easier to make all the baffles the same". OK, fine, I mean there isn't anything I can point to that is problematic about it. If your speakers are set up equidistant from each other (as they should be); it does put the discharged air (and I'm guessing some low frequency sound) from the right speaker closer to one ear than the other port, but I don't hear it as a coloration. Now, I see this right ported M-30, and it makes me wonder...

Default "In my room"

[QUOTE=zindra;16060]
    Quote Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
    Hello Zindra, did you see the pic I posted on the M30 on the cradle stand you where interested in?

Yes, I did see the pic, thank you. I contacted Pear Audio but they don't make it anymore. I posted a reply before to this before but I probably did something wrong and it doesn't show. Opposite of you, the dealer loved SHL5 but didn't have it in store, so I compared C7 and M30 and got the M30 which really has it's magic going on, and some shortcomings in my room.

Maybe this is the key: "in my room". I may love the SHL5 at the dealer's dedicated and treated room and then like them less than the M30 in my place. It's a never ending search and it's fun, only pitty is the funds (in my case) are so limited!
    One speaker will always be better than another in some way. I also chose the M30 over the Compact 7 (did not hear SHL5), even though the Compact 7 sounded more impressive at first listen. There is something special about the M30, the clarity, the total lack of distortion, and the solidity that I had never heard in any speaker before. It's not for everybody, and it makes demands on the listener (pay attention!), but I'm glad I chose it for my needs, which is too look into the music, almost as if it's being made before my eyes and ears.

Default Port positioning

[QUOTE=Diminish;16098]Right Ported M-30???

On the Products Page of the Official Harbeth website, the M-30 Studio shown grouped together with the others has it's port on the right side. Of course, if you click on it, the one shown there is ported on the left the same as the Domestic and any other M-30 I've ever seen. .....QUOTE]

Hi Diminish,

I asked a similar question about three years ago . Andy of Harbeth(UK) said, and I quote "

All Super HL5's have the port on the right side and always have done. The pair matching on all our speaker is with the veneer and also the drive units. The picture on the Harbeth website has been reversed to make the speaker face towards the writing." ....(End of Quote).

I believe the port's role is to extend the low bass which is coincidently omni directional. So I believe that shouldnt make a difference to us whether it is for SHL5 or M30. IMO.

ST

{Moderator's comment: also bear in mind that during photography/DTP images can easily be flipped left-right. The fact is, that at low frequencies where the wavlength is many mtrs. the position of the port on the front, side, top, back will make no practical difference in output. At LF is is almost or actually impossible to measure the port's output in isolation to the woofer: the two blened seamlessly.}

Default David Bowie and M30 at the BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G Smith View Post
    Certainly not! BBC Manchester studio5 has M30s mounted horizontally with the HF units innermost, on metal stands to bring them clear of the top of the mixing desk. Many famous bands have been broadcast from there.
    Here's a pic of David Bowie in the studio when he played on the Mark Radcliffe show. The M30 in foreground is the left side of the main monitor pair in this studio's control room (direct to transmitter). The picture was taken by one of my colleagues.

The live band performs in the same studio space as the DJ, so soundchecks are sometimes made during the programme! The BBC in Manchester has recently closed this building to move to their new northern headquarters in Media City, Salford.

RIP Studio 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast