Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Alexander Guest

I 'am Harbeth M 30 Owner for a year, and they always until now, gave Life in our family the musical thrill. But today i must report the discovery of the DREAMTEAM.(an i was trying several combinations) After hearing 30 minutes with this combination, my mind was blowing away. If i were not a religious person, i would thinking to be in heaven. Power on, and you will leave the world and step in the fabulous world of music, which is overwhelming you.It's incredible, what a window in the music the M30 can be.
    It's Art, and it's improving my quality of life.
    Meridian G01
    Merdian G56
    Meridian G 6.02
    Cable: Kimber 8 TC Jubilee Edition
    Connect between CD an PRE-Power : Straight Wire Serenade

Default Not heard yet

The M30 is one member of the Harbeth family that I haven't heard yet. I'll be glad to hear it one day.

Nice to read that you find the greatest combination for you.

Sebastien

Alexander Guest

Default Harbeth Combination

thanks sebastien , i only can highly recommend this, but certainly it depends on the personal taste, of each listener, but i can't imagine, that anybody is missing anything with this combi, if he is a Harbeth Lover
    Alex

Default Speaker placement - M30 on their sides?

Hi all,

Is it ok to lay M30's on their side (on a stand)? I want to use them in my studio (kind of near/mid-field) but their height is difficult to use them next to my other system.

Thanks, Niels

Default M30 on side

They certainly won't come to any harm laying on their sides.

Default BBC use M30 on their sides

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    They certainly won't come to any harm laying on their sides.
    Certainly not! BBC Manchester studio5 has M30s mounted horizontally with the HF units innermost, on metal stands to bring them clear of the top of the mixing desk. Many famous bands have been broadcast from there.
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

red cross Guest

Default M30 and subsonic rumble sfx

Is it normal for the M30s to "flap" and buzz when playing back sustained low frequency material in the 20-50Hz region? I work as a sound editor / dubbing mixer and this is the only issue I have when working with these speakers. Low frequency sfx such as "tunnel rumble" and stuff generated by subharmonic synthesizers can't be played back without significant "flapping". Strangely this was never an issue on my old B&W 602s. Otherwise, the speakers sound marvellous. If this problem is a general design issue and not (hopefully) an issue with my particular pair then I'll probably just look into getting a sub in there. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

What's the power output of your amplifier, and is there an equaliser in line?
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Default Grilles off or on?

Quote Originally Posted by red cross View Post
    Is it normal for the M30s to "flap" and buzz when playing back sustained low frequency material in the 20-50Hz region? I work as a sound editor / dubbing mixer and this is the only issue I have when working with these speakers. Low frequency sfx such as "tunnel rumble" and stuff generated by subharmonic synthesizers can't be played back without significant "flapping". Strangely this was never an issue on my old B&W 602s. Otherwise, the speakers sound marvellous. If this problem is a general design issue and not (hopefully) an issue with my particular pair then I'll probably just look into getting a sub in there. Thanks in advance for any help with this.
    Are you using them with the grilles ON? These can sometimes make noises with large cone excursions. Try removing them!

Default Grilles off?

Hello,red cross.

I agree with garmtz, take the grilles off, if you can. For whatever reason, they are very tightly fitted on the Monitor 30's, with the fabric touching the bass port. This is very likely the cause for the sounds you are hearing.

Thanks Paul!,

@ Hifi-Dave: I meant soundwise

red cross Guest

Thanks guys. I'll try to mangle a paper clip and get the grills off and see if that solves the problem. Doubt it's an output power issue with the amp, I'm monitoring at quite conservative levels (-20dBFS pink noise @ 79dBSPL C weighted).

Default Port turbulence?

It could be port noise; which is usually caused when playing tracks which contain a lot of information below the tuning frequency of the loudspeaker at higher volume levels. Too much air has to go to the port at once causing turbulence noise. Some companies use fancy ports to counter this phenomena, but in reality it's just physics and there is little that can be done. Some sort of high pass filter could be a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by NelisB View Post

@ Hifi-Dave: I meant soundwise
    I know - I was being cryptic !!!

The full answer should have been - They won't come to any harm and will sound just fine. Just suck it and see !!!

Hi Red Cross,

The Harbeth importer in your area has Grille Magnet pullers if you wish to give one a try.

Contact Jimmy Goh, Ph 65,63 362467 Perhaps borrow one as it would be safer to use than a wire clip.

Cheers,
    Noel. (Skylan)

Default Tug grille

Don't use anything sharp! Just pinch the fabric between fingers on one of the corners and try to loosen the grille by pulling on the fabric with a fast tug.

Default Hard disk strong magnet

Hi,

if you don't have an importer, you can use any strong magnet (e.g. found in old hard disk or other neodym magnets) to pull the grilles off. But be careful. The magnets in hard disks are VERY strong.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I know - I was being cryptic !!!

The full answer should have been - They won't come to any harm and will sound just fine. Just suck it and see !!!
    Thanks Dave!!

mbauer Guest

Default New Harbeth Owner

Hello All,

I am getting my brand new Harbeth Monitor 30s tomorrow. Anniversary edition in tiger ebony.

So far I am enjoying my demo M30s very much. Most relaxing sound in Hi Fi. Right now just have a cheap Marantz receiver but will eventually upgrade to Naim.

Martin Bauer

Default Monitor 30

Welcome to Planet Harbeth, Martin.

As a Monitor 30 owner myself, I can assure you that you will be continually amazed and delighted with the way these things just disappear and provide extraordinary doses of music.

Enjoy!

Bob LaBarca
    State College, PA
    USA

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast