Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Jeff Stake Guest

Default Re: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Thanks Alan.
    Would measurements done for time alignment have been taken with the microphone on axis and about one meter from the tweeter then?

airdavid Guest

Default Re: Amplifier for Monitor 30

I'm interested too...
    anyway, in Italy Monitor 30 + Exposure Classic XXXV is a good match .....but same distributor !!!!

regards,
    David

airdavid Guest

Default Re: Amplifier for Monitor 30

what about McIntosh 6300 int. for M30?

Jeff Stake Guest

It seems possible to me that time alignment is a bit overrated. The effect of moving one's head up and down on the frequency response of the speaker in the room may be greater than the effect of the time relationship of the drivers. If time alignment does matter, then one needs to know not only the axis of alignment, but also the distance at which the drivers are aligned. Take the M30 as an example. Let's assume the two drivers are about .18 meters apart, and that they are aligned when the ear or microphone is one meter away from the tweeter, directly on axis. By my rough calculations, if one moves from one to two meters from the speaker, then the drivers will have the same time alignment if the mic is moved .09 meter ABOVE the axis of the tweeter. As we move another meter, we again need to add another .09 meter to the height of the listener or mic to maintain the same time alignment. So, I would suggest listening and measuring at different heights to get the optimum for your listening position. Do not rely entirely on any simple rule.

jaybar Guest

Monitor 30 question for A.S or others:

1) Are M30 speakers good candidates for low-level listening or are there better Harbetrhs for that?

Some speakers need to be cranked-up to preserve involvement and detail--so I am just wondering. I want to try and listen at lower levels (70db) with a sound meeter at my listening position 6 feet away and I am wondering if my M30's are suited for this.

2) When people say listening On-Axis, does that mean the speakers are toed-in so that you don't see the inner side panel?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Shutterbox Guest

Hello guys,

I would like to know the dimensions of M30's carton's dimensions and weight.

I need these info so as to get an estimate freight cost from the courier company.

airdavid Guest

what's the production year of M 30?

David

I have owned my Model 30's for about eight months. They were orginally purchased to be driven by a Futterman OTL 4 as a replacement for a 25 year old Rogers LS3/5a's. Before the speakers were broken in the Futterman developed a problem and the amp has been in and out of the shop until yeaterday. I have been using a Hafler D 200 to drive them while I waited. I was satisfied with that arrangement every once and awhile I concected the 30's to my main amp a Audio Research VT 100 MK2 so I knew there was alot more to expect from these speakers. The Futterman with its sweet top end and 3 D presentation revealed what these speakers can do. I spent the afternoon listening to AnneSophie Mutter's Mozart sonata's. I hear her performance of some of this music at Carnegie hall a week ago. Yesterday was not real but REAL close(maybe my seats at home are better. I can not recommend tube amp more with these speakers. Today its Idemineo with a Met performance tonight . Thank you for these little wonders.
    Joe Hartmann

airdavid Guest

Two questions about M30:
    1) what the minimum space do M30 need from rear wall ?
    2) what's the production year of M 30?

Thank you

Regards,
    David

amadeuswus Guest

Default M30 listening height

Hi Alan,

If small things matter (and we had world enough and time), should the listener's ears be level with the tweeter of the M30s? Or should one aim for somewhere between the tweeter and the Radial driver, as members of Robert Greene's forum have suggested for M40s?

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Edward

I have two questions concerning the Model 30. In the detail of the upgrade for the Compact 7 a new Radial speaker is explained. Might this be an upgrade to for the model 30 as well? Other than the cabinet size what are the difference between the Compact 7 and the Model 30 that cause the price difference?
    Joe Hartmann

airdavid Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH

Other than the cabinet size what are the difference between the Compact 7 and the Model 30 that cause the price difference?
    Joe Hartmann
    It's different tweeter: more expensive the M30's than C7's

David

airdavid Guest

what's internal cabinet volume of M30 in litres?

Yes, it's true that the Excel tweeter in the M30/M40 is extremely expensive, much more than that used in the C7. But both are very good units and we have a lot of experience working with SEAS for twenty years now.

Also, although the M30 cabinet is smaller, internally it is much more complicated than the C7 with special damping and cross-struts all of which have to be fitted and adjusted by hand. Hence, the M30 cabinet is more expensive.

Another thing that you may not have even thought of is this .... the M30 system takes longer to assemble than the C7 (or SHL5). The M30s bass unit is mounted from behind the baffle but the cabinets arrive with the baffle fixed into the cabinet to be sure of veneer match. Before we can start assembly of your M30 we have to remove the baffle and place it on the bench next to the M30 cabinet, turn it over, fit the woofer, tighten the bolts, turn it back over and fit the tweeter. In comparison, the C7/SHL5 have all the drivers fitted from the front face - much faster and more cabinets can be lined-up on the assembly bench; the batch size is therefore bigger.

The greater production efficiency of the C7 (we can make a couple of extra pairs a day simply due to this assembly issue) allows us to minimise the ex-works price. It's surprising how a few minutes here and there adds up to so many 'lost' pairs a week.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Jay,

Even though I don't own the M30s (I own the M40s and have owned the SHL5s), let me chip in with my opinion. I think low level listening will be satisfying with the M30s, since I don't think they will be very different in that regard from the M40s and SHL5s; I listen - or have listened - to both at fairly low levels with no sense of loss of involvement. And at six feet, you are sitting closer to the speakers than I do (about 8 1/2 feet).

To me - and I could be wrong here - on axis listening means sitting equi-distant from each speaker; ie., in a middle positon between them. In that position, whether the speakers are toed in or not, I believe you are on axis.

Ned

Default What is the maning of "on-axis" listeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Mast
    To me - and I could be wrong here - on axis listening means sitting equi-distant from each speaker; ie., in a middle positon between them. In that position, whether the speakers are toed in or not, I believe you are on axis.
    Ned
    This is almost correct.

In our opinion here, 'on-axis' means listening with your ears at a particular height relative to the front of the speaker. But it can, and does imply having the front of the speaker approximately firing at each ear (perhaps with a small toe-in). When both of these conditions are met, than I'd agree that you are listening approximately 'on-axis'.

Incidentally, as you will see from the User Guide, my preferred listening arrangement is not equi-distant but something like this suggestion ....

"If the speakers are two units of measurement apart from each other (in feet, or cms) then place your chair three units away from the middle point". That works well for me in my room .... but you should experiment in your room.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Rasmus Guest

Hi.
    Being the happy owner os a pair of monitor 30 i decided to order a pair of something solid stands. When they arrived and i placed the speakers on the stands, i discovered something was wrong. The stands are manufactered according to the measures on the Harbeth site and are to large. The speakers measueres 277 * 275mm. - the site states 277*285 mm.
    So the stands are a bit to large for the speakers. Is this a difference in models or a mistyping?
    Regards Rasmus.

Regarding external dimensions of our speakers:

I think, from memory, that we include the dimensions of the binding posts as they protrude from the back and I think this was stated on the old web site. So, we will double check and clarify the measurements for all our models as we produce them over the next week or two.

Aside from that there is a normal tolerance on all external dimensions and this is especially so for thin-wall baxes of the type we use. Whilst you as the consumer may be curious about the external dimensions we, as the manufacturer are actually much more concerned with the internal dimensions since the baffle (front panel), back and grille must all fit in every cabinet.

The MDF from which the main case is made does have a tolerance, as does the veneer (we veneer on the inside and outside). Add to that the glues used on the veeners and joints and you'll appreciate that batch to batch there will be perfectly normal but barely detectable variations. They have no effect on sound quality at all.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Hu Guest

Default Re: Quad II-Forty with Monitor 30

I wonder too how Quad II-Forty would work with Monitor 30!

LD31 Guest

Default Changing the veneer of my (M30) speakers

Hi Alan,

Another question about "coloration"! My wife does not like the clear veneer of my maple M30's (n? 1832). I plan to dye them to get a darker color (like cherry or teak): what would you recommend?

I suppose the M30's wood is "bare", so I can apply the dye or varnish directly?

Kind regards,
    Laurent.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast