Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Default Re: Harbeth Monitor 30 domestic specific

Personal concerns that are of minor importance to be discussed in the forums here.

Do you have both speakers in different rooms in separate systems? If yes, may I ask what amps are you using to drive the SHL5 and the M30?

I feel that It's important to consider the historical timeline of these speakers. The C7ES3, M40.1 and P3ESR were all designed with a common approach (and with the same software and hardware tools) in the last three years or so. They do have a common character. That said, many love the SHL5 and M30.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Paris Kotsis Guest

Having lived with almost all Harbeths (C7ES-2, M20, M40, M30, now P3ESR) and having auditioned carefully C7ES3 and current model SHL5, I must say I totally agree with Alan. To my ears, C7ES3 and P3ESR are more "modern" incarnations of the Harbeth sound and preferable over the other models, although I still find SHL5 and M30 absolutely lovable. They all seem to me like works of art but the latest creations seem more mature art.
    That said, the particular "way" of Monitor Series is irresistible to me as I keep confirming when listening to M30. So I guess M40.1, which I haven't auditioned yet, must be the end of the journey - and should be with such a high price!

Quote Originally Posted by Paris Kotsis View Post
    Having lived with almost all Harbeths ... I must say I totally agree with Alan. To my ears, C7ES3 and P3ESR are more "modern" incarnations of the Harbeth sound... So I guess M40.1, which I haven't auditioned yet, must be the end of the journey - and should be with such a high price!
    Thank you. That's very much how I see it.

I could not have designed the P3ESR ten years ago. Or even five years ago. Such a project needs time, patience and maturity. Ditto the M40.1.

BTW, if you think the M40.1 with its cabinets, crossovers, six drive units and all my accumulated knowledge poured into it is expensive - think again! Here.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post

BTW, if you think the M40.1 with its cabinets, crossovers, six drive units and all my accumulated knowledge poured into it is expensive - think again! Here.
    OMG (as the kids say). Well, if you've got the money ...

But you're right, it makes the pricetag for the M40.1 seem downright reasonable by comparison.

Thank you. That's very much how I see it.

I could not have designed the P3ESR ten years ago. Or even five years ago. Such a project needs time, patience and maturity. Ditto the M40.1. [/URL].
    Alan is totally agree with this.. hm...I senses the new project on shl5 and m30 are there. It is is easy to name m30 as m30.1....How abt SHL5? SHL5ES?

Btw, I just noticed the price of that "stand".....OMG!

Alexander Guest

Default M30

the best argument (imho) for buying the M 30 /40 Series for the real enthusiastic music lover is to save much money, time , for seeking satisfaction in concert halls with bad acoustics , overpriced auditions, bad musicians, cold temperature outsides unnerving ticket buying.....you can hooked up a pair, bring them in your room, pay attention to them and every week a compliment to each Loudspeaker , and so they will loves you and you them and your relationship will be growth the next 20 years.

But be careful of your social life and your Familys support! You have to explain something about your new family members, and what they do with you, but your friends and your family will understand you after first introducing each other--;-) Thanks for building audio artworks to Harbethians

Being a relatively new owner of a (very) slightly used pair of M30's (in cherry finish), I've got to say that I'm thrilled with the sheer musicality of them. The ability of these "simple boxes" to unravel the music in a manner that is wholely enjoyable is rather uncanny.
    One thing I'd like to see, and perhaps someone can point me towards is some pictures of the optional wood finishes that are available for the M30 (Tiger ebony, Eucalyptus), I believe it's the Tiger Ebony on the main product page, but I'd love to see some higher rez pics of the other finishes.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/library/harbro-oct09/ . Please wait for the page to load. It took me 20 mins.

Thanks for that ! loaded fast for me... and I suppose I should clarify something I wrote above, as upon re-reading it.. When I stated "simple boxes" I in no way meant to undermine the technology within. The development of the Radial driver was a big undertaking, and it certainly pushes forward the ability of the speakers.

What I meant by "simple boxes" is that , perceptually at least, the casual observer would dismiss the Harbeths as being too "vintage" in styling, and not utilizing alternative materials and shapes to accomplish the goal (I guess in Brit speak.. it's "missing the shiny bits" .. hehehe) but, the proof is in the pudding and the joy of listening to them speaks volumes to what's really going on inside.

Hey, Double D

I, too, own M 30's and absolutely love them. Harbeth does a great job with the wood veneers and sadly, never really shows them off on their site. Here's a link to a picture of a single HL 5 in eucalyptus-my favorite Harbeth veneer

http://pic8.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1268452698.jpg

My 30's are in the rose walnut finish-interesting, but nothing fantastic. My Compact 7 Es-2's are in a fairly rare and in this case, spectacular maple finish. If I could ever figure out how to post pictures of my Harbeths here on this site, I'd get them up!

Cheers, enjoy the music!

leesl Guest

This thread specifically relates to the Monitor 30
    Hi, Alan,
    I understand that there is only Monitor 30 and SHL5 were fitted with RADIAL driver at this moment. May i know whether these 2 model will be upgrade to fitted with RADIAL 2 driver?

Have you experiment on the both driver fitted to the same cabinets in Monitor 30 and SHL5? I'm curious to know what are the different in between them.

Default M30 Active

I wanted to know some details about the Monitor 30 ProActive. Could you post a photo of the back-amplifer panel? Are they bi-amplifed or are they only powered (one amp and passive xover)? Is the amplifier similar to the one for the BBC LS-5/9 (BBC AM8-17)?

Thank you in advance,
    Marcelo,
    Harbeth fan, from Argentina.

The M30 active is not in production at this time. Harbeth is concentrating on making passive speakers, without built-in amplification. These are much quicker to build and test, and give the user maximum flexibility. He can chose any amplifier he/she wants.

We do not know what the "BBC AM8-17" is so we cannot comment on that.

UPDATE
    . We have found information on the AM8-17. This seems to be a general-purpose bolt-on amplifier module, perhaps designed to be affixed to the rear panel surface or to sit on top of the speaker cabinet.

Alexander Guest

Default My harbeths make my children smile. Thanks.

After a half year with my Harbeths M30, i could say, thanks. In every kind of music( even in DVD Surround Mixes), the Music, voices, tones was simply there in my room. no highs, no lows, no complicated positioning, i could use them like an every day product, just like...mmmh my car...i never think before start the car about technical, fuels consumption, i simply drive it. And now all Family Members use the Harbeth, my Children are sitting sometimes near in Front of them, no pain in ears, only a smile lighted up her face, the Harbeth are Family Members from now on, and i'm sure they will stay longer in my home than the kids.
    rgds
    Alex

Default Thanks for M30!

Having just really enjoyed another six hour plus music session ( today's a weekend day for me) I just wanted to reaffirm , not that it was ever in doubt, how much I love my M30s! Both in their performance and looks. Thank you Alan and the Harbeth team!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default M30 - sound wonderful

I have my new demonstration Harbeth Monitor 30 speakers in Maple, they have been playing for 4 days now and sounding wonderful.
    I have them powered by the Pass Labs XA100.5 mono blocks matched with either the Quicksilver valve preamplifier or my own Parmenter valve preamplifier.
    These are very special loudspeakers & very highly recommended to all music lovers.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parmen...38776836166685

Janoak Guest

Default M30 + leben CS600

I wondered if anyone has used M30 speakers with Leben CS600 amplifiers? I am thinking of replacing my current speakers with M30's. My current speakers are System Audio Explorers. They are far too big and have too much bass for my new flat. M30's would seem about ideal. I am about to arrange a home demo. Hopefully they will give a better integrated sound and a smoother top end. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has heard this combination.

Ian

Sorry for replying so late, but I have heard the combination and it is stunning. But do exchange the stock power tubes with EL34's...

Default AM8/17 amp

I think the AM8/17 was (usually) a Quad 50 which was built in a 303 style case but with only one power amp in, with the possibility of a 100V line output. I somehow don't think this could have been bolted to the back of an LSU cabinet . have a look on the BBC anoraks site!
    http://www.bbceng.info/Designs/RDCE/part_I/1to100.htm (page 13)

Quote Originally Posted by HUG-1 View Post

We do not know what the "BBC AM8-17" is so we cannot comment on that.

UPDATE
    . We have found information on the AM8-17. This seems to be a general-purpose bolt-on amplifier module, perhaps designed to be affixed to the rear panel surface or to sit on top of the speaker cabinet.
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast