Thread: Loudspeakers positioning

Vanmar Guest

Default Loudspeakers positioning

Dear Mr. Shaw and Others all,

In few days I will finally become a proud owner of a pair of SHL5 loudspeakers, that I'm going to position in my room about 3 meters apart, listening 3.6 meters away. Do you maybe think this distance is too much?

What can I do, so I can get the best performance from them? The room is full of books and Cds, well carpeted.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
    Thank to all.

Default Re: Loudspeakers positioning

I seem to have had duplicate posts on this subject - can anyone help this gentleman please by sharing their own personal experience?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

The distance you sit from your speakers is something you can decide for yourself once you get them set up. You are certainly in the ballpark. Some, such as myself prefer to sit closer, say around 3 meters in your setup.

In setting your system up, you should allow 1 meter from either side wall and about 1.5 meters from the rear wall to minimize the room boundary effects. If you could provide your room dimensions we could make some more specific suggestions for you to try.

Regards
    Don

Vanmar Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Don Leman View Post
    The distance you sit from your speakers is something you can decide for yourself once you get them set up. You are certainly in the ballpark. Some, such as myself prefer to sit closer, say around 3 meters in your setup.

In setting your system up, you should allow 1 meter from either side wall and about 1.5 meters from the rear wall to minimize the room boundary effects. If you could provide your room dimensions we could make some more specific suggestions for you to try.
    Thank you Don & Alan.

My room is sized 6m x 4,2m, height 2,7m.

Kind regards.

Default Your room is about the size of two side-by-side 20' containers ...

I'm told that one 20' (twenty foot) container is .... 6m x 2.4m x 2.9m which is about the same length and height as your room but only half the width. So, I've made a little picture combining, side-by-side (and squeezing the final height and width to fit your dimensions) two 20' containers to represent your listening room.

Does this look correct? The 20' container is the smaller one you see being transported by road.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

If you desire to have your speakers 3 meters apart this will only leave you .6 meters from the side walls assuming your speakers are setup on the short wall. This in my opinion would be less than optimal. However if you are limited and must use this dimension then the optimal distance from the rear wall would be aroun 1.05 meters.

If you are able to position the speakers 1 meter from each side wall then the optimal distance from the rear wall would be 1.38 meters.

Both calculations assume a distance of .725 meters from the center of the woofer to the floor.

My room is similar in size to your and this will give you an idea of my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Leman View Post
    If you desire to have your speakers 3 meters apart this will only leave you .6 meters from the side walls assuming your speakers are setup on the short wall. This in my opinion would be less than optimal. However if you are limited and must use this dimension then the optimal distance from the rear wall would be aroun 1.05 meters.

If you are able to position the speakers 1 meter from each side wall then the optimal distance from the rear wall would be 1.38 meters.

Both calculations assume a distance of .725 meters from the center of the woofer to the floor.

My room is similar in size to your and this will give you an idea of my setup.

Wow nice listening room you have there Don.