Thread: Computer sound

Marc Hedge Guest

Default Computer sound

Hi
    This is my first posting. I can't find anything on this already.

I have just got some monitor 20 speakers for my desk top system. I mostly like classical and analogue and am useing a Nakamichi Amplifier One and a Nakamichi LX-5 cassette deck.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for how to raise the speakers to ear height as I have found this is important. My main speakers are floor standers and I know nothing about stands. Should I buy stands and move the speakers off my desk or will raising them be as good and if so how?

Also I like to listen to Live Jazz on U tube and use windows media player. At present I have connected the 3.5 mm jack from the computer into the amp. I am wondering if getting a dac would help? If so do I need a special one for a computer or is any ok? If a dac is the way to go does anyone have a recomendation? Nothing expensive please as I just bought the speakers and am now saving for some new c7 s for my main system. I am thinking second hand on Ebay.

Any advice apreciated
    Cheers
    Marc

Default Re: Computer sound

A speaker stands is a must. get a 28" stand. try solid steel filled with atabites.

now, I am also hooking up my laptop to the Amplifier using a USB DAC. Different DAC gives different result. The Bard Audio wireless DAC gives the best result but it requires Line Of Sight which is a pain.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9119
    http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/bes...nd-dac-361939/

some monitor 20? u mean u brought a few pair??

Marc Hedge Guest

Thanks for that.
    Hmm Computer dacs are different from hi fi dacs? How about if i use the spdif output on my laptop?
    If I take the monitor 20s off the desk the stands would need to be about 39 inches high or about 11 if i keep them on the desk.
    No I only have the one pair. I use some to refer to a pair. Also its hard to show the plural as "20s" sounds like a model designation not a plural. Perhaps I will have to learn hifi grammar as well as learing about hi fi.
    Cheers
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Hedge View Post
    Thanks for that.
    Hmm Computer dacs are different from hi fi dacs? How about if i use the spdif output on my laptop?
    If I take the monitor 20s off the desk the stands would need to be about 39 inches high or about 11 if i keep them on the desk.
    No I only have the one pair. I use some to refer to a pair. Also its hard to show the plural as "20s" sounds like a model designation not a plural. Perhaps I will have to learn hifi grammar as well as learing about hi fi.
    Cheers
    Marc
    Hi, these DAC are practically the same as those use in HiFi setup; with a additional USB input. Currently, I using a Musiland DAC, with both CDP and laptop connected to the external DAC. I am still trying out the various USB DAC; going to get a Firestone Fubar II DAC soon.

http://www.sonneteer.demon.co.uk/bardusb.htm
    http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews...teer/bard.html

As for your required height, 39inches, you might want to try wall mount bracket.

Marc Hedge Guest

Thanks for that.
    I can't use wall brackets as they are against a wall I soundproofed extensively with an airgap and 3 sound deadening materials for the different frequenciess and hanging brackets would defeat its purpose.
    I have just got some oldAtacam 724 stands which I will put on blocks to bring up to ear level.
    I don't like the look of tube like stands. These go ok with the monitor 20. But i don't like the colour and want to spray them to match. Hope to find the monitor 20 colour code, anyone?
    Do you think a DAC will make a significat improvement?
    Regards M

Marc:

A DAC will make a considerable improvement, no doubt about it.

An inexpensive, simple and good-sounding solution is the devilsound DAC. The Music Streamer + is similar in concept and is also supposed to be very good. For a bit more coin, the mhdt DACs are superb. The Beresford 7520 gets very good reviews and is inexpensive.

Good luck.

Eric