Thread: New User: Thank You!

Teuton Guest

Default New User: Thank You!

I have been an ?audiofool? for over 6 years now. In those 6 years I have probably spent more time researching, listening, buying and selling gear than actually listening to music. The whole reason I got into the hobby was for music. With that said I recently reached a breaking point with the merry-go-round mentality of certain forums?flavor of the month, OCD behavior--and the hi-fi community.

I am not a millionaire, and I cannot stand the horrendous markup of cables. Furthermore, I know first hand that when someone invests in ?tweaks? to extract ?maximum? performance out of their setup, it can lead to over-scrutinizing and OCD (see above) type behavior (and money spent).

Even if I was a BILLIONAIRE, I still wouldn?t spend more than $100 on cables.

I?ve learned a lot in the last 6 years, but even more in the last couple months. I value simplicity and functionality. Even more, I value time. Time with family, time indulging in my other hobbies and time with music <<<.

Enough about my epiphany, why I?m here is to say thank you to Harbeth for designing such wonderful speakers. I recently listened to the Compact 7?s and they are the only speakers that never make me want to browse Audiogon, or read Stereophile ever again. These speakers spoke to me?they have soul. I plan on buying a pair in the New Year. It will be my last pair of speakers for a VERY long time. I plan on pairing it with a Lavardin IS Reference. The only way I will upgrade is if I move into a very large room, which I don't see in the next 5-7 years--maybe then I could afford the 40's. Until then I will be completely content with the C7's.

Default Re: New User: Thank You!

Teuton wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
    With that said I recently reached a breaking point with the merry-go-round mentality of certain forums?flavor of the month, OCD behavior--and the hi-fi community .... I value simplicity and functionality. Even more, I value time. Time with family, time indulging in my other hobbies and time with music
    Hi Teuton

Welcome to the Harbeth forum!

Like you, I have got out of the merry-go-round and feel that simplicity and functionality are important qualities, not the latest gizmo. Its about the music! I must thank Harbeth for helping me simplify my system. With the Harbeth SHL5, I no longer feel any urge to swap, upgrade, etc.

Enjoy the 7s!

Best regards
    Dennis

I have been an ?audiofool? for over 6 years now. In those 6 years I have probably spent more time researching, listening, buying and selling gear than actually listening to music. The whole reason I got into the hobby was for music. With that said I recently reached a breaking point with the merry-go-round mentality of certain forums?flavor of the month, OCD behavior--and the hi-fi community.

I am not a millionaire, and I cannot stand the horrendous markup of cables. Furthermore, I know first hand that when someone invests in ?tweaks? to extract ?maximum? performance out of their setup, it can lead to over-scrutinizing and OCD (see above) type behavior (and money spent).

I?ve learned a lot in the last 6 years, but even more in the last couple months. I value simplicity and functionality. Even more, I value time. Time with family, time indulging in my other hobbies and time with music <<<.

Enough about my epiphany, why I?m here is to say thank you to Harbeth for designing such wonderful speakers. I recently listened to the Compact 7?s and they are the only speakers that never make me want to browse Audiogon, or read Stereophile ever again. These speakers spoke to me?they have soul. I plan on buying a pair in the New Year. It will be my last pair of speakers for a VERY long time. I plan on pairing it with a Lavardin IS Reference. The only way I will upgrade is if I move into a very large room, which I don't see in the next 5-7 years--maybe then I could afford the 40's. Until then I will be completely content with the C7's.
    Welcome. I still love my old 7 too even I hv 30th ann's SHL5. Beside Lavardin, do consider LFD Zero LE mkIII, another highly underrated jerms.

Cheers!

tricka Guest

Thank you for your post. It is very similar to my experience of late.
    I second a vote for the LFD Zero III. I have it partnered with the C7's and they work very well together. The Lavardin is also by reputation a great amp.
    Less is definitely more....
    Best Wishes
    Andrew

Go for the Lavardin IS Reference. I have paired the SHL5 with Lavardin IS. To me, the result is amazing.

Teuton,
    Welcome... I am using Lavardin IS reference with SHL-5 and been happy with the result... I would suggest if you can, T-loan Lavardin IS Ref & LFD to see which is your cup of tea.

Cheers.
    Music is not to be denied... is to be enjoyed!

Default New SHL5 user

Hi all

I'm a new user of the magnificent SHL5 speakers.
    I pair them with a hicapped Supernait and I couldn't be more happy.
    MUSIC is what it's all about now ;)

Default Supernait + SHL5 = great combo

Quote Originally Posted by Liotheles View Post
    Hi all

I'm a new user of the magnificent SHL5 speakers.
    I pair them with a hicapped Supernait and I couldn't be more happy.
    MUSIC is what it's all about now ;)
    That's a GREAT combination!

Default Naim & Harbeth, a magical combination

Naim and Harbeth are a magical combination that still isn't as widely know as you would expect, considering the popularity of both brands.

Default Harbeth + Naim

It's a well known combination here.

Default Harbeth will work with anything ....

My take is that Harbeth speakers work well with almost anything decent out there. The other great thing is that so few come up for sale in the classifieds. Must tell you something...

Default Harbeth + Leben, great combo

Another great combination is the Harbeth and Leben. Just felt I should mention.

Default LFD and Leben with Harbeth

I use both the LFD and Leben HiFi amplifiers here with my Harbeth speakers for demonstrations.

Both amplifiers work very well with the Harbeth range, it comes down to clients personal taste in presentation as to which amplifier they prefer.
    One of the Harbeth speaker strong suits is that excellent sonic results can be achieved with a wide range of amplification.