Thread: 'Hearing' in your dreams

Default 'Hearing' in your dreams

I met my youngest son for dinner last night and he has a problem with his car. As we parted in the car park, he lifted the bonnet (hood) of his car and we peered in at his engine. All seemed well. The engine was not running.

I've just remembered that during the night whilst dreaming I could 'hear' the problem with his engine as he revved it in my dream - and whilst dreaming I diagnosed the fault as a tappet out of alignment which gave a regular and unmistakable knocking sound when he held the engine revs at a particular throttle setting. I explained all of this to him in my dream and pointed out what to listen for. Some hours after waking, I've just realised that the entire conversation and diagnosis was whilst I was asleep, yet seemed so vivid. Now awake, I can still 'hear' the echoes of the dream conversation and the tap-tap-tap of the defective engine.

Has anyone else had a vivid dream in which they could clearly hear and analyse sound and recall the experience when awake?
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Hu Guest

Default Re: 'Hearing' in your dreams

So, Alan, you can design Harbeths, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    I met my youngest son for dinner last night and he has a problem with his car. As we parted in the car park, he lifted the bonnet (hood) of his car and we peered in at his engine. All seemed well. The engine was not running.

I've just remembered that during the night whilst dreaming I could 'hear' the problem with his engine as he revved it in my dream - and whilst dreaming I diagnosed the fault as a tappet out of alignment which gave a regular and unmistakable knocking sound when he held the engine revs at a particular throttle setting. I explained all of this to him in my dream and pointed out what to listen for. Some hours after waking, I've just realised that the entire conversation and diagnosis was whilst I was asleep, yet seemed so vivid. Now awake, I can still 'hear' the echoes of the dream conversation and the tap-tap-tap of the defective engine.

Has anyone else had a vivid dream in which they could clearly hear and analyse sound and recall the experience when awake?
    Had a couple of vivid dreams but they were vivid only on visual sense. Probably you possess supernatural hearing abilities so that's why you could hear so clearly in your dream....& you also happen to be a renowed loudspeaker designer, see the link here? Haha..just kiddin. However, i do believe that some dreams are a premonition of things to come. It happened to me several times already.

Hu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gan CK View Post
    Had a couple of vivid dreams but they were vivid only on visual sense. Probably you possess supernatural hearing abilities so that's why you could hear so clearly in your dream....& you also happen to be a renowed loudspeaker designer, see the link here? Haha..just kiddin. However, i do believe that some dreams are a premonition of things to come. It happened to me several times already.
    Happened to me several times too - premonition of things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Hu View Post
    Happened to me several times too - premonition of things to come.
    Actually i am still pinning to have a dream in which i will buy M40.1 complete with LFD flagship PA3 monoblocks & accomodating these in a pre treated room with concert hall like acoustics...haha...

Default Damping the listening room ....

Actually, I visited a newly built recording studio the other evening. I was a little disappointed by how 'lively' it was compared to similar studios built fifty years ago or more. It has motivated me to study the theory and practice of making an acoustically damped listening room and I've started to do some basic reading about this. My basic knowledge of acoustic treatment is almost zero, but there have been many helpful papers written by people who really understand the subject in detail.

My task is just to filter this mass of information and then distil it into something basic and approachable that we can all understand and I intend to prepare a Designers Notebook white paper about this sometime next month. I hope that will at least expose the balance of cost, convenience and cosmetics of room treatment at home. The science can not be beaten, so we can only make choices about how far much and how well we wish to damp our listening rooms.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Re: Damping the listening room ....

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    My task is just to filter this mass of information and then distil it into something basic and approachable that we can all understand and I intend to prepare a Designers Notebook white paper about this sometime next month. I hope that will at least expose the balance of cost, convenience and cosmetics of room treatment at home. The science can not be beaten, so we can only make choices about how far much and how well we wish to damp our listening rooms.
    That's a very good idea! As you mentioned somewhere else - why care about cables and all that stuff that influences the sound in 1-2 % if the room has a 500% influence.

My experience with Harbeth speakers is that there is almost never a problem with side reflections. The "stage" is always there. The only problem is the bass - but that doesn't depend on Harbeth speakers - it's a generall issue.

I also read some of the papers from the internet. I have tried some of the advices where to put the speakers. My experience here is: trust your ears!

I hope that we can come up with some DIY instructions how to build some panels or some bass / tube traps.

Here are some interesting links:

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...placement.html

http://www.acousticsciences.com/arti...RoundTable.pdf

http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators...igenmodes.html

The winter is long - let's start some DIY projects .... !

TW

Don Sawall Guest

I have very vivid dreams often. They are so real that I'm embarrassed to admit that sometimes after a few days I have to really try to remember if the conversations I had were in person or if I had dreamed it. Also, I have many dreams of me performing in a jazz club and think to myself "wow, what a great solo" only to wake up later and realize it was just a dream. But yes, I could hear everything in my dreams whether it's my instrument or our conversations.

It has been said that everyone dreams, but only some remember them when they awake. So , I believe that everyone therefore hears in their dreams as well, but simply don't remember when they awake. If only I knew if I were really writing this or if this is just another one of my dreams....