Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B-grade cabinets for charity?

Smile B-Grade cabinets sale for charity: a great idea but perhaps a special label needed?

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Because we believe that we should maintain a very high standard, from time to time we accumulate cabinets that fall below our cosmetic and constructional A1 standard. Sometimes we accidentally damage them during production. Today, we scoured the dark corners of the store room to round-up unmatched and B-grade cabinets. Normally we would physically destroy these cabinets so that there is no chance of their emerging in the market being passed off as representing our true quality level.

However, as Christmas is approaching we wonder if there is some way that these B-grade cabinets can generate money for local charities. We would be willing to make-up these cabinets and give the entire profit to good causes especially children's charities. The only problem is how to protect our brand name and reputation and to inhibit these speakers being resold as perfect. Also, we do not want to divert any business from our hard working and loyal distributors especially in the current economic climate.

What do we do? Proceed to destroy them as we would normally do with B-grade? Your constructive feedback most welcome as always.
    Hello to Alan, Andy and all HUG members,

I'm new to the HUG but in fact not new to Harbeth ownership or BBC monitors.

After having owned six consecutive pairs of LS3/5a, my final pair of Baby Beebs was replaced by P3ESRs last year. The uniquely balanced, honest and relaxed presentation of the ESR made it unnecessary for us to hang on to the LS3/5a's as a spare speaker-set.

The introduction of new loudspeaker designs cannot take away the inherent qualities of renowned classics which means -for me at least- that the old Grade 2 mini has not lost it's charm but in comparison the ESR let's the music/programme speak for itself even better. Its reproduction simply feels more effortless.

As the title points out, when I read this oldish thread regarding B/stock cabinets, I was happily surprised that such re use of materials and yield for charity was proposed.

Two questions for Harbeth:
    The pictures seem to show mainly cherry cabinets. Is cherry more difficult material to use than Harbeths other veneer options (our pride and Harbethian joy is clad in dark Santos)?

Were the B/stock speakers labeled as such?
    Last edited by Spindrift; 26-07-2011 at 08:54 AM. Reason: corrected a few type errors

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12