Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: New Harbeth P3ESR

lius;15380]Congrats on the P3's! It is amazing how you don't miss the low frequencies! I don't know how Alan does it...

BTW, while looking at your new speaker, I feel like I have Superman's x-ray vision...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way,x-ray man,what the
    I should put some more pics of my Harbeth's SE Rosewood.

Has anyone compared (I mean audition) the P3ESR along with the M20? How are they differentiated in terms of sound and applications ?

{Moderator's comment: you would be auditioning two generations of Harbeth mini-monitors of which the latest is the P3ESR.}

Default Bass - and overall balance

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    The subject of the Harbeth Xtender subwoofer-in-stand that we made for earlier generations of P3ESR has been mentioned as the ultimate add-on, so why not make it for the P3ESR? I've been looking through the server archive and all the technical drawings are safely filed there, so technically we could indeed reactivate this product. The question is - what business case is there for making it. And what are the dangers.

As commented here as an impartial listening to the P3ESR confirms, as we very well know, that the P3ESR has a remarkably solid bass doubly so considering its tiny proportions. So I'm concerned that making available any sort of Harbeth-branded subwoofer may send the wrong signals to the public that a subwoofer is needed. We know that it isn't, but that may be the impression that such a product introduction may give. And there is plenty of anxiety in the audio market without consciously adding to it.

Second - the Xtender is at least twice the size of the P3ESR. You can see an earlier P3 + Xtender for sale here - very good pictures which give you an overall impression. The size of the Xtender means that our daily production output, which is directly linked to the physical size of the speaker, will eat into the quantity we can produce per day. That means an overall extension in lead time.

Next we must consider the tricky and insurmountable problem of veneer matching. We simply cannot guarantee that the veneer colour/grain of the Xtender will (ever) perfectly match that of the P3 which sits atop it. We have three cabinet makers, and if we purchase the Xtender box from one and the P3ESR from another (as will happen) there will be differences in veneer. We, and our dealers, cannot be expected to open sealed cartons and pick-through perfectly good cabinets hunting for a close veneer/colour match.

This Xtender project is technically trivial - but commercially very fraught indeed. I am nervous about complicating a production system that is already working at maximum efficiency for what would be a very low-margin addition.
    Hi Alan,

I read briefly about the comments regarding the bass perfromance of the P3ESR. I have two concerns; 1) I usually listen at quite low levels and due to that reason find the bass of similar sized (well known) speakers anaemic. When I cranked up the volume {of the other similarly sized speakers} the higher frequencies becomes unbearably bright and vocals seem to shout at me. 2) The other concern is whether what I had expereinced was a speaker / amp mismatch. I own a 100 watts Class D PS Audio Trio pre/pwr. Speaker wires are the Kimber 4TCs. Any advise is most appreciated.

{Moderator's comment: Iassume that as we have indicated above {...} your comments are about another speaker, not the P3ESR. Correct? Can you give us a little more info about what that other speaker is perhaps be country of origin, number of drive units and the philosophy behind the design ... a 'BBC philosophy' or not?}

Default Beware of Class D?

They're UK made 'BBC philospohy" type as well - sealed box, same number of drivers, varied wall thickness..... I forgot to mention they sounded lovely when driven by Sudgen amp at the shop.

My room is about 12 ft x 20 ft, speakers firing across the shorter end - not very well damped; hard floors, light curtains, 2 settee with glass coffee table top & glass shelf display cabinet .... Read somewhere that says "Beware of Class D amplifiers and their interaction with speakers". Thanks.

{Moderator's comment: yes our experience with Class D whilst initially impressive can be rather hard on the ear. You mention that your pleasure degrades as the volume increases with your current speakers. This surely can only be then increasing distortion (of various types) either in the drive units, crossover and amp/source since your ears and room are constant. If the drive units do not perfectly blend through the crossover region (e.g. crossover too high or low for the drive units latent abilities) then this can give a hardness which is extremely fatiguing.}

Default Yes, and I bought P3ESR

Quote Originally Posted by engjoo View Post
    Has anyone compared (I mean audition) the P3ESR along with the M20? How are they differentiated in terms of sound and applications ?
    Hello.

Recently heard both the Mon20 & the P3ESR at Harbeth's Dealer in KL, MY.
    The Mo.20 had a more nasal and "flat earth" (shades of Naim?) presentation while the P3ESR managed to project a more layered soundstage. The P3ESR seemed to be able to throw a fair bit more bass than the Mon20 as well.

Needless to say, ended up bringing home a pair of the P3ESR in gorgeous rosewood finish.

Happy listening.

Default P3ESR is wonderful

Congratulations on a purchase that you will not regret. The P3ESR is a wonderful speaker. I'm enjoying mine as I type. Cheers!

Default Don't look any further

You'll not regret that purchase. I'm still as impressed by my pair as on the day I bought them.

As someone who comes in contact with real performed music for the better part of the day, it's my personal opinion that you won't find another brand that will come closer to the sound of real musicians. Get a decent amplifier, source and connectors (and none of these have to be expensive), a pair of Harbeths that suit your room.. and enjoy the music. Don't look any further. That's my advice I'll gladly give to anyone.

Default P3ESR is evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Hello.

Recently heard both the Mon20 & the P3ESR at Harbeth's Dealer in KL, MY.
    The Mo.20 had a more nasal and "flat earth" (shades of Naim?) presentation while the P3ESR managed to project a more layered soundstage. The P3ESR seemed to be able to throw a fair bit more bass than the Mon20 as well.

Needless to say, ended up bringing home a pair of the P3ESR in gorgeous rosewood finish.

Happy listening.
    I concur; the ESR is a noticable evolution of the ES2 and therefore of the Monitor 20 (M20=P3ES2 with Speakon inlets).

Using Rosewood ESRs here as well; still a classy finish on any speaker.

Default Harbeth, long term investment...

Congrats on you new P3's. I have to listen to lesser studio monitors all day *cough - Genelec - cough* the P3's are my sanctuary when I get home...

Default Crooked?

Hmmm... the "Harbeth" badges on the front grilles of my P3ESR's are somewhat crooked ( as in, not quite squarely stuck onto the grilles). :P

Default Realigning your grille badges

Quote Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
    Hmmm... the "Harbeth" badges on the front grilles of my P3ESR's are somewhat crooked ( as in, not quite squarely stuck onto the grilles). :P
    These are self-adhesive badges which can droop in transport etc.

To straighten them, remove the grilles from the P3's and with the aid of a hairdrier, slightly warm up the back of the badge, through the inside of the supergrille (just for a few seconds maybe ten seconds). Then carefully rotate the badge until it seems straight/level (allow some play for the elasticity of the cloth) and finally pinch the badge to the cloth with your fingers so that the adhesive can get a good grip on it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Default Upgrade to P3ESR from P3

At last I have a pair of P3ESRs on the way. I am sure I will agree with the many comments here. Having lived with a pair of 1993 HL-P3s, after dabbling with the LS3/5a for many years, I expect the ESRs will be everything that is said about them.

Seeing a pair of HL-P3s, of the same age and condition as mine, sell for nearly 500 on eBay I hope to achieve something similar.
    We shall see...
    Last edited by Miles MG; 19-11-2013 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Spelling !

Default P3ESRs arrived to upgrade P3s

Quote Originally Posted by Miles MG View Post
    At last I have a pair of P3ESRs on the way. I am sure I will agree with the many comments here. Having lived with a pair of 1993 HL-P3s, after dabbling with the LS3/5a for many years, I expect the ESRs will be everything that is said about them.

Seeing a pair of HL-P3s, of the same age and condition as mine, sell for nearly 500 on eBay I hope to achieve something similar. We shall see...
    The ESRs have arrived. An evolutionary move on from the P3s, which are still superb loudspeakers. Lots of listening to do...

Default Help with P3ESR in large room

Hello, I have read most of the posts and last week listened to my first Harbeths, the P3ESR and the 30.1. I would like your input as to the P3ESR working in my great-room

Recently moved into house with a much open concept design. The great room is approximately 17 feet wide by 21 feet long, open into a hallway + dinning room on one long side and windows on the other side. Small rear wall with large opening into kitchen. The only wall I have to work with has a floor to ceiling fireplace with two built-in book cases on either side. Ceiling is 10 feet tall. Space above the top of the bookcase is open to the 10 ft ceiling.

Currently there are two built-in wall speakers above the bookcases. Bookcases are 43" H x 41"W x 21" deep. There is no room for floor standing speakers nor stands. My only option is to place speakers on top of the bookcases. Speakers would be 9 feet apart and listening position is about 14 feet.

All the reports I have read and my own evaluation was in a small room. My question is does anyone have any experience with this kind of set up? Do you think the P3ESR will work in this kind of set up? The closest dealer is 3 hour drive return trip, so home evaluation is not possible. I realize this is not an ideal set up. Most of the listening in here would be either back ground music during the day and more attentive easy listening in the evenings.

My main system is in a dedicated HT/audio room in the basement. I have been using the Oskar speakers for the last 8 years. The smallest I have are the Aulos and they are just too tall for the bookshelves. I greatly enjoyed listening to both Harbeths and it's the first speakers I could live with as an alternative to the Oskars. Thank you.

Default P3ESR for the rear?

P3ESR as a rear speakers

I have the HL5's as my main speakers and wondered if anyone has had experience with the P3ESR's as their rear speakers. I am considering this and wonder if this is not serious overkill.
    Thanks for any help.

Default With Adcom amp

I bought a pair of P3ESR to replace Cambridge Soundworks ensemble for my small room (14*13 feet). Adcom GFA535 amp 60 watts, GTP400 Preamp.

It sounds natural and smooth for classical music with my Adcom. Really enjoy the speakers.

I also use my old 'Cambridge soundworks' passive subwoofer (from old ensemble). The 8 inch subwoofer is more like a bass in a seperate cabinet than a subwoofer. It is 6 ohm impedance as well. I am not sure the frequency response range of this subwoofer.

It seems to be a good combination since this subwoofer voice does not standout that much.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415