Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: New Harbeth P3ESR

Default Re: Easy load - yes of course it is

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    Yes, we considered that one. We selected the TDA (if I remember correctly) because of its advanced anti-thump mute circuitry. That totally eliminated any power-on power-off thump to the speakers: very impressive.
    Interresting. I have often seen use of TDA chips. I think they are from Philips.

Default P3ESR ---- production is underway!

We're off! It's official ... the all-new P3ESR is being built and shipped. Thank your for your patience.

It's twenty years since Alan introduced the original P3 .... and this really is a ground-up redesign. Only the grille and (two of) the rear terminals are carried over from the legacy P3s.

Special days like this come around very rarely - let's celebrate the birth of the world's best mini. Read the date sheet on the Harbeth website.

P.S. We're particularly appreciative of those firm, paid orders we've received from UK dealers from customers who've been patiently awaiting production: thank you.
    Harbeth PR,
    Harbeth UK

Default Maple or eucalyptus?

Something else I've spotted... maple is listed as a veneer. My dealer said eucalyptus was available, but said nothing about maple.... has maple replaced eucalyptus as the light veneer option?

Default Re: Maple or eucalyptus?

Yes, we are able to offer maple P3ESR and have limited stock of this veneer. We have extremely limited stock of eucalyptus at this moment but we will have eucalyptus later this year if there is a strong demand for it. Eucalyptus looks very attractive on the Harbeth range but is becoming expensive to source.

As you may have noticed, following regular requests from those who plan to use their P3s in a home theatre setup (either as front, centre or rear) we've reintroduced black ash. Rosewood and cherry are readily available, subject to our normal production lead time - orders are fulfilled strictly as first come, first served.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default P3ESR - web page - more info added

This morning we've added some extra information to the P3ESR web page here (at bottom of page). Specifically, I've taken a picture of the all-new 5" RADIAL2? woofer that's the heart of the P3ESR. There are a couple of things to point out about this driver -

- Not only does it work exquisitely, it looks beautiful too. I've invested man-years in this design and I'm proud of this unit so it should look like a million dollars. The shiny metal parts of the magnet are individually turned in a lathe, one by one. Conventional parts are bashed out by the millions and look so ugly we wouldn't contemplate using them even if they are a tenth of the cost.

- The Harbeth-exclusive RADIAL2? cone has a high-gloss finish; you can see the clouds in the sky (I took this photo outdoors). This mirror-like finish means more of the sound flows from the cone to the room in the critical mid/presence region. If you can't see your face in the cone you're not listening to a Harbeth and it won't sound like a Harbeth. In fact, I'd go further and say that cone's sheen (how matt or shiny it is) strongly correlates with the quality of sound: matt cones seem to have a dull sound - have a close look at your cones!

- The phase plug in the middle of the cone is common with the larger Harbeths and is responsible for the smooth and extended response at the top end of the unit where conventional drivers really struggle (and sound so foggy).

- The surround extends well into the cone and really clamps the cone to the frame. This allows this little driver to reliably move air as it moves in and out

- The tag panel is the same that's used on the larger Harbeths. It has two wide blades that mate with receptacles in the wiring harness. This makes for easy assembly and in the very unlikely event of replacement, no soldering skills at all are needed.

- Printed labels and serial number. All Harbeth-made woofers are individually numbered and traceable down to the glues used to make them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default P3ESR - arrive tomorrow

I get my demo pair tomorrow in lovely shiny Rosewood with lovely shiny cones. I can't wait !!!

Default Michael Jackson - a recomendation

With the sad news overnight I'd highly recommend you listen to Michael Jackson's Bad on your new P3ESRs. It is surely the best produced, best recorded pop album and one I have used during the development of every generation of new Harbeth.

The dynamic range, stereo imaging and evenness of sound across the audio spectrum is an absolute delight - and the tunes are good too.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Michael Jackson "Billie Jean" and "Thriller"

MJ's older Billy Jean & Thriller is not bad too.....

Default P3ESR - arrived!

With the sad news overnight I'd highly recommend you listen to Michael Jackson's Bad on your new P3ESRs. It is surely the best produced, best recorded pop album and one I have used during the development of every generation of new Harbeth.

The dynamic range, stereo imaging and evenness of sound across the audio spectrum is an absolute delight - and the tunes are good too.
    Alan,

It's a CD I use often and did so again this afternoon.

I unpacked my immaculate little P3ESR's and admired the finish for ten minutes or so before mating them to their stands with four little blobs of Blu Tak per cabinet. They really are beautiful little speakers in Rosewood with superb fit n finish. Connected them to the new Naim Nait XS-2 (also arrived today), driven by a Rega Saturn. So, it wasn't a mega buck system by any stretch, just better than average but boy did it sound good !!!

Those little 3's really do sing and where does the bass come from ? They really are excellent and well worth the wait. You don't need me to tell you but you've done a brilliant job with these.

I did the 'Bad' and lots of 70's Rock from the likes of Chicago Transit Authority, Zeppelin, Bloomfield, Cooper, Stills, some vocals from Dusty in Memphis, Jennifer Warnes, Paul Simon and finished up with Blackstreet. All albums I know well but still I heard all sorts I'd not noticed before, thanks to the 3's.

Nice one Alan.

David

Default Re: New Harbeth P3ESR

Hi David,

I'm glad that you are happy with your new speakers (hifi).

Pls post some pictures.

Thanks

Link to post your pictures
    http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/showthread.php?t=338

Default Re: Harbeth P3ESR: astonishing bass performance

... from a tiny box. Some factors relating to the painstaking analysis and optimising of the Harbeth designed and made 5" woofer are covered here and here.

The design challenges are exactly the same for a small box like the P3 and for a centre channel, so the design process is identical.
    As a former owner of the P3-ES-2, and having just ordered the P3ESR, I agree the bass performance is great - for a 5" woofer in a small box. Whether it's "enough" bass is another question, however. Modern pop, rock and electronic music can have some seriously deep bass that a speaker like the P3ESR just isn't going to credibly reproduce.

So why did I order it, then? Because (1) I listen in a small room, and have WAF and neighbour issues to consider; (2) what the P3-ES-2 did well (most everything except deep bass) it did better than almost any other speaker I've heard, and certainly better than any other speaker I could afford; and (3) I'm confident the P3ESR will be even better than its predecessor.

That said, I'd like to throw my vote behind the development of a Harbeth-designed subwoofer system that would integrate properly with the P3ESR, and would provide real deep bass output. Maybe something like the old Xtenders, maybe a single box, maybe even an active option. I think the market would embrace it eagerly - I know I would.

Default P3ESR now being shipped - order lead time etc.

To bring you completely up to date ..... and to avoid disappointment ....

The first shipments of P3ESR are beginning to arrive at overseas customers. We're only ten days into the life of this P3ESR - and the P3/P3ES ran for nineteen years. Unlike many manufacturers, we do not 'build for stock' and then impose that stock on the distribution chain whether they want it or not, and whether they can afford to pay for it or not. We build exactly what is ordered by each customer by model and by veneer and we are normally accurate in estimating the delivery date, even months into the future.

We permanently operate at 100% capacity through the year so there are no obvious miracle solutions to boosting production just because it's summer time, but we're looking at every possible way to produce more at our small UK factory.

We have recently been contacted at the factory by end users (retail customers) attempting to ascertain the delivery status on their orders. This puts us in a difficult position because our function is to design and manufacture, not to explain the logistics of the distribution channels outside of our knowledge and control. Our terms are ex-works and that means that Harbeth UK is responsible for and in complete control only up the the point the speakers literally leave our door.

Please be so kind as to understand that we will continue to do everything we can to manufacture your Harbeths to our usual high standard and to deliver them against the orders we have on hand - if they are on hand. All we ask is that orders are funnelled to us in a timely, regular fashion to give us time to plan. The lead time is no secret: under ISO9001 rules, we are required to issue (and amend if necessary) Order Confirmations, which are normally emailed to our customers within five days. The entire MRP based orders-in, works orders planning, procurement and invoicing is computerised, and needs only two pieces of information to do all the thinking for us: a sales order in and a totally accurate piece part count and Bill of Materials.

In short, please satisfy yourself that your P3ESR (or other Harbeths) are definitely on-order through the distribution chain and up to us here at the factory. We have no means of identifying individual customers from bulk-orders we receive, and obviously we are not able to discuss commercially sensitive bulk orders here on the Harbeth User Group.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Re: Maple or eucalyptus?

Thanks for the info on veneers Alan. I agree that the eucalyptus looks fantastic - such a nice combination of subtle colouring and grain.

Default Re: P3ESR - arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Alan,

Those little 3's really do sing and where does the bass come from ? They really are excellent and well worth the wait. You don't need me to tell you but you've done a brilliant job with these...

I did the 'Bad' and lots of 70's Rock from the likes of Chicago Transit Authority, Zeppelin, Bloomfield, Cooper, Stills, some vocals from Dusty in Memphis, Jennifer Warnes, Paul Simon and finished up with Blackstreet. All albums I know well but still I heard all sorts I'd not noticed before, thanks to the 3's.

Nice one Alan.

David
    Dave, I suspect many forum readers would enjoy hearing more from you about any distinctions you hear between your P3Rs and the predecessor ES2s. I know I would...

If you care to elaborate on the qualities of the match-up with the Rega Saturn and the Nait XS, I'd be very interested in that as well. I have the Apollo 35th edition and I'm thinking seriously about the Nait XS to partner, as a former Nait 5i owner...

regards,
    -Paul-

Default P3ESR - full of life, dynamic and FUN!

Hi Paul,
    I've only recently taken on Harbeth as a dealer. I have sold a few Harbeths over the years but never actually stocked the product. Just a couple of months ago I bit the bullet and bought a pair of 7ES3 and was so knocked out by them, I ordered up a pair of HL5 and the new P3ESR. Monitor 40 to come when the bank account allows.

I have no experience of the (previous generation) P3ES/2 but plenty of experience with small 'monitors' hence my enthusiasm for the P3ESR which, I consider, to be head and shoulders better than the contenders.

First thing you notice is the incredible bass from these small boxes. You've heard it all before - the listener being fooled into thinking that the larger speakers in the room were playing when it was actually the small ones. Well, I did actually trick a customer who thought the floor standers in the corner were playing and he asked to hear the P3ESR.

These are exciting little speakers, full of life and get up and go. I listen mainly to Rock, Blues and Jazz. I need speakers which are pacey, dynamic, large and go loud. The P3ESR does all these things and managed to hold my attention for many hours where the average speaker keeps me listening for half hour max. They are clean, detailed, natural, communicative and the vocals are just stunning. They are FUN.

I used them with the Saturn, which is very similar to your 35th Anniversary model and the new Naim Nair 5XS-2. An excellent combo by any standards and a perfect match with the P3ESR for not too much money.

Default P3ESR compared with earlier monitor ....

As you may know, from time to time we offer a trade-in facility for the BBC (or BBC staff) to donate their old BBC-designed speakers (LS3/5a, LS5/9 and LS5/8) to us and in exchange we give them a very attractive deal on new Harbeth Monitror 20/30/40. The old monitors are historically useful - as this example. Last week, a BBC operation sent us a pair of old 3/5a, the date code stickers say 1984 and 1985. They asked us to evaluate them to check that they were working and then to send them a pair of M20 - and an invoice. They are not Harbeth-made LS3/5a as they are clearly marked "15 ohms, 25W speech and music" and all Harbeth LS3/5a are of the later so called 11 ohm computer optimised type from 1988 onwards. Today, I hooked them to the necessary XLR sockets (yes, the BBC XLR rule is that speakers have XLR plugs not sockets) and played them.

Needless to say, I was greatly influenced by the LS3/5a when I designed the original P3 in 1990, but that was nearly twenty years ago, and the 3/5a itself dates from 1974 - that's thirty five years ago. So we are comparing a speaker designed ten years before the CD was introduced with the P3ESR designed some twnty five years after the CD. There should be differences; technology has progressed. The LS3/5a uses first generation plastic cones: the P3ESR uses fifth generation RADIAL2? cones, and the cone material defines the quality of the speaker.

First impression: how very quiet they are; they seem to need a rally big push from the amp to make an acceptably loud sound. Second: how recessed they are on vocals (such as Michael Jackson's Bad). Third: How weak the bass is. Finally: I have them playing in the background and the overall impression is one of uninvolvement. And of a really small scale of performance. I am not sure if these are atypical, but the contrast with the P3ESR is really quite shocking. These make the performers sound as if they are in the next room.

PS. It's occurred to me that you may be surprised that I am shocked. You may have assumed that I have spent months switching backwards and forwards between the P3ESR prototype, the LS3/5A and other mini monitors. That's not how I work. I'm attempting to capture the essence of what I'd hear in the studio in the loudspeaker under development, and I carry the sense of that in my head. I can judge when I have eliminated the unwanted man-made artifacts in the fledgling design, and at that point, side by side comparisons are useful to confirm that the design eclipses the best previous designs. Beyond that point, as little by little over the months the design edges forward there is really no need to look backwards.

Since I finished the P3ESR design a couple of months ago, I have not listened to hi-fi at all. My task is complete - the fun for you is about to start. Hence, when the opportunity is presented to make a comparison long after the design is frozen and in production, it really is amazing just how comprehensively the P3ESR outperforms the earlier models. As someone commented, the P3ESR is alive, open and fun. Now I understand what they mean; to me that is the essential Harbeth quality and I take it for granted, but if you live with other speakers you really are in for a treat when you hear the P3ESR - or indeed any RADIAL-coned Harbeth.

Attached picture of the better looking (!) ex-BBC monitor we received. Note XLR plug (in very unusual place) and metal hanging bracket.

>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default P3ESR - communicates like no other

Fun is what the P3ESR is about. It's a big speaker in a small box. A beautifully crafted small box but large in sound.

I've heard many small speakers, some described as 'monitor, but I've not heard a better small speaker than the P3ESR. It communicates the performance like no other and has a presence which takes you into the performance. It's fast, pacey, dynamic, natural and the vocals are so in the room that it is startling. As for the bass - where does that come from Alan ?

This is the speaker the LS3/5A should have been !!!

Default Re: P3ESR - and LS3/5a design legacy

I appreciate the feedback. It's interesting that you've mentioned (on a couple of occasions) the P3ESR's remarkable bass performance. Clearly this has made an impact on you - good - that's what I intended!

I thought I'd re-read my design brief for the P3ESR as I posted it here. Note that I listed good bass performance as essential, with midrange clarity and ease of drive also as high priorities. By now, your accumulated concentrated listening experience and wide choice of music and electronics probably exceeds mine, mine spread over many months, so your opinion is most likely to be more useful than mine. But certainly, when I first played Eminem (unpretentious self-effacing rap, well recorded, great fun, one of my favourites) - see link - even I was astonished at the subjective bass quantity and quality. Link here: (low grade audio just as an example - the CD is really clean). Beware! Lyrics may/will be offensive! Eminem

The Harbeth RADIAL2*? bass unit .... that's the secret of the P3ESR. I'll explain more later. It took hundreds of hours of computer simulation (all documented so I can share this with you over the months) and fifty prototype woofers (I've kept most of them in the archive) over a four year design period. We froze the design at No. 50 and cloned that. So what you have in your P3ESR is a clone of my master reference Woofer 50.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Default Re: New Harbeth P3ESR

Alan,
    Eminem - are you sure ??? I never would have put you down as a rap fan, down in the hood !!!

Whatever, I'm impressed with the little P3ESR and if there's any justice, you've got a winner there.
    David

Default Eminem rules - OK?

Yep! Absolutely! Great stuff! My wife and I won a Quiz Night at the local pub because I was the only person in the room (of middle aged folk) who knew Marshall Bruce Mathers III's stage name! And I had to insist that our team wrote down Eminem as none of them had heard of him. Tut Tut.

The recording clarity and balance of Eminem's The Eminem Show is really excellent: the sound is extremely smooth and the stereo imaging excellent. Other tracks on there that are great demo pieces but the language is, er, somewhat choice so I hesitate to create links! Beware!

I've noticed that rap music is probably the smoothest, best recorded type of modern music.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast