Thread: M30 placement in a small room

ebenai Guest

Default M30 placement in a small room

Hi guys:
    I would like to get some suggestions regarding placement of these speakers (M30) in my small room. I'm thinking to place them on wall C. I can separate them more from the back wall but less from side walls. The other options are A and B. In this case, I coulsd separate them more from the lateral wall but not much from the back wall. B would put one speaker to close to the door and may not be a good idea. Any thoughts?
    Attached Files Attached Files

tricka Guest

Default Re: M30 placement in a small room

would you be able to indicate what furniture you have and what, if any room treatments are planned?

Hi,
    Wall C will give you more speaker + room sound. You may able to get deeper stage imaging which is more "imaginabble". Better bass extention but softer bass punch. The width can be good depand on how you going to treat the side wall or how the side wall interact. You got good distance from the back wall too.

Place at wall A may give you better bass punch in mid bass, larger images and very good width, but the the sound stage deep will be scarified. You hear more from speaker than the room becos you will sit quite near to the speakers. You may also facing more mid bass or lower mid problem because your seat is very near to the wall at your back.

My room is similar to yours..just a little bit bigger "12 x 18...I got very serious room mode disturbing me when I play my setup at short wall. Lucky they sound great when place at long wall.

Anyway, you still hv to diy to try out both placements yourself..

Enjoy and hv fun!

Cheers!

ebenai Guest

For now the room is empty and ready to be populated. I'm trying to decide which orientation to try first. More specifically is better to separate the monitors from the back wall or the side wall? I can do one or the other but no both. If I put them along the long wall, I can separate them nicely from the side wall but not to much from the back wall, maybe 2 feet ? if a put them on the short wall, I can place them well into the room but not more than 1-2 feet from the side wall?

Hi Ebenai, my room is a very similar shape to yours but with a large window on wall C and doors on both A and B walls. I agree with Keith that on wall C they will sound boomy. Mine are about 18" from wall A and about 8 feet apart, toed in towards the sofa to the right of the middle of wall B. I have found that symmetry isn't always a good thing with speaker placement and the slight displacement of the listening area due to the doors is actually useful in that the room modes are slightly different for the two speakers, giving overall a smoother bass response. I do find that a listening position slightly away from the rear wall will improve bass smoothness too.
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Shutterbox Guest

I would put them along Wall C seperated 6feet+ apart, firing down A
    I would put them abt 5ft away from Wall C, and sit aboutt 8ft away from the speakers.

Then I will get some treatment along walls A and B to take away 1st reflections away both walls A and B, and then have some treatment at the backwall too.

M30s are very revealing speakers and they wil sound very good directly from the drivers for a very unboxy, very truthful tone.

Hi Ebenai, have you found the ideal position in your room yet? I'm sure we would be interested in hearing about your findings.
    Paul

"If all else fails, read the instructions"

Default Golden room and M30.1

First post! New M30.1 owner. Experimenting with placement in smallish room with book cases and protruding fireplace. Best result achieved from this starting point:-

http://www.cardas.com/room_setup_rectangular_room.php

Interested to hear what others think of that approach. Didn't see it referenced anywhere else. "Golden Ratio" is a common enough theme in classical architecture and even Debussy used it for Clare de Lune to space out different segments. It is supposedly innately pleasing to human perception. More info here:-

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio