Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cables, filters, interconnects ....

Teuton Guest

Default Cables, filters, interconnects ....

Hello,

I have a question for A.S. and the forum members. I am building a long-term Harbeth system for my home. I will be buying the Compact 7's on Skylan stands powered by a Lavardin IS Reference integrated. Cables will be QED 79 strand. I am stuck on what interconnect cables I should purchase. I want some long-term and something I can fall back on similar to the QED cables. I'm curious what Alan uses and what the rest of the forum uses for interconnect cables.

Regards

Default Re: Interconnect cable A.S. HELP!

BlueJeansCable LC1. My favorite interconnect regardless of price.

The Beldens and Canare are very honest cables, neutral and fairly inexpensive. I have been using various iterations of Belden and Canare (and still use them).

The other IC which I recently tried (Reality Cables) are very good, excelling the Beldens and Canare in my system. I strongly believe that cables are also very system dependant so its best to try them in your system (taking advantage of 30-day trial offers, if possible).

The Reality Cables are made by Gregg Straley at www.realitycables.com

I have no business relationship with Gregg, other than being a very satisfied customer. He is very knowledgeabale and friendly!

Best Regards
    Dennis

Teuton Guest

Default Re: Interconnect cable - why spend money?

Years of psychological programming that I should spend hundreds of dollars on cables, that they affect the sound more than anything else, that the differences are so large that I would be wasting my money on high end components if I didn't spend the appropriate amount is still getting to me. I feel 'weird' and even guilty on spending less than $100 on both speaker and interconnect cables and $3500 on speakers and $3000 on an integrated amplifier.

Not to mention I will be using 'stock' power leads...*GASP*. No fancy isolation devices, magic rocks, etc.

In fact I will probably be placing my Lavardin on an antique wood credenza or on my bookshelf @ eye level w/ample breathing room. I feel weird and I think I just need to keep telling myself otherwise and stay off certain forums that perpetuate these myths--I will probably be a more content and happier person in doing so.

Patek & Phlippe does not make erroneous claims that their watches can tell time better than a $5 timex (utility)--so why do cable companies? Though a person buys a P&P for different reasons (same reason why a person buys Harbeth) but you don't see strap mf's claiming their products magically make a Patek even better.

I don't know if I am articulating what I am trying to say but the problem I have is the importance assigned to cables. There is a line between what i reasonable and what is superfluous, what is refined and moderate (classical thinking) and what is gaudy and a flexing of status.

I actually see value in a Patek for what it's worth, like I see value in Harbeth, Fountain Pens or other pursuits of pleasure. Whatever. I'm just blabbing, i will stop now.

What do I use or recommend? Anything you have available. Mine cost a few cents. I prefer the dollar ones because they are prettier. I use the same ones on my test equipment to link it together and it definitely can't tell any difference. But then, why should it?

One of our distributors who has very good hearing has tried many different interconnects and concluded that you can't beat the sonic quality of the free ones supplied with Japanese electronics.
    Alan A. Shaw
    Designer, owner
    Harbeth Audio UK

Ferdinand777 Guest

depends on your budget:

for under $200- the analysis plus oval 1s are really bang for buck.

for under $500- the silver audio silver bullet 4.0s are really super, for something warmer, the purist audio design museus are really quiet and paints a huge soundstage from a dark and black background.

for about $1000- the acrolink 2070 is a real charmer with its magical mids.

for about $1500- the nirvana sx is as good as it gets.

Teuton Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    What do I use or recommend? Anything you have available. Mine cost a few cents. I prefer the dollar ones because they are prettier. I use the same ones on my test equipment to link it together and it definitely can't tell any difference. But then, why should it?

One of our distributors who has very good hearing has tried many different interconnects and concluded that you can't beat the sonic quality of the free ones supplied with Japanese electronics.

Thanks Alan,

I don't mind spending $30 on an interconnect cables strictly for the 'look' of them. I can appreciate higher quality grade of copper and 'higher-end' connections even if they don't make a sonic difference.

Regards.

P.S. thanks for being a straight-shooter when I comes to this stuff. A lot of companies are afraid to speak up because of reputation or business relations. Harbeth represents something more to me than just a speaker. I will be a Harbeth owner for life. Furthermore, the only logical upgrade for me after the C7's would be the 40's and only under the conditions that I move into a larger house with a large room that can support a large speaker

For background info I used to sell 'hi-fi' at a shop that sold Totem Acoustics, JPS Labs, Parasound, Myryad, MonsterCable, Energy, Kef, and several others. My favorite was Totem and I have owned several Totem speakers for the last 5-6 years, from the Arro's to the Mani-2 Sigs. I used to tell customers that they were great musical speakers BECAUSE of their fatigue free listening. I must have been kidding myself. While good speakers, after listening to an Harbeth and hearing all that inner detail at low levels (an without any form of glare) I have just shut up and gone back to basics (evaluated what is important to me).

Thanks again Alan.

digiphobe Guest

I've installed these into my kit a few months back and have been very pleased with the price/performance http://www.rscables.com/page3.html
    ....and yes, they are streets beyond the performance of the "freebees"

macraddy Guest

Auditorium 23. (The speaker cables are lovely too.) I've compared against much more expensive alternatives and prefer the A23 over ever disc tried.

Quote Originally Posted by macraddy View Post
    Auditorium 23. (The speaker cables are lovely too.) I've compared against much more expensive alternatives and prefer the A23 over ever disc tried.
    Macraddy

Are the Auditorium ICs the same wires/cables that are used for the Auditorium 23 SCs?

What cables have you tried them against?

Best Regards
    Dennis

rgshar Guest

Default Re: Interconnect cable

Stealth Indras work quite fine for me on my SHL5s. The highs are liquid and full and not metallic, the bass has a great detailed quality and a much firmer foundation than other ICs I have tried, the upper mids do not ring or sound glassy, and the lower mids have a good sense of substance without being forward.

macraddy Guest

Hello Dennis,

I don't think the A23 IC has the same wiring configuration as the SC. The SCs have two wires of differing material per end. (i.e. 4 wires to single wire a speaker.) The ICs look like normal ICs. The sound is the same however.

I've compared the A23 ICs with Linn Silver and Siltech, using both (SHL5) speakers and headphones. I had the Linn left over from my previous system. I borrowed the Siltech. I can?t remember which Siltech they were. I'm sure they were from the 'middle' range however.

The Siltech cables were as tonally rich and accurate as the A23, but there seemed to be something missing from the transients. The A23 transients were more natural sounding. They had more impact, but not overly so - again - more natural. (I noticed this most with solo piano and chamber music.) By comparison the Linn cable was grainy and transients seemed unrefined. (Imagine a bar chart vs. a sine wave!)

Hope this helps?

Kind Regards

Amir

Hi Amir

Many thanks for your helpful reply!

You used the very word I feel about the Auditoriums - "natural". That is exactly my feeling with the Auditorium 23 SCs! I have never heard a more natural sounding SC (and I have gone through quite a heap!).

I will try to audition the Auditorium 23 ICs when I can get the chance!

Best Regards
    Dennis

macraddy Guest

Hello Dennis,
    I couldn't agree more!

Good luck with the IC when you get the chance. The UK importer has been very good and Keith Aschenbrenner (?Mr. A23?) was very helpful indeed when I wrote to him directly and asked if he'd like to make me a one-off balanced version for my power amp. (Which he did, and didn't charge me the earth either ? I think I've the only balanced one in existence!)

I couldn't be more happy ? and I'm sure you'll like the IC. Especially as it'll give you A23 wires throughout.

Kind Regards

Amir

canU.K. Guest

I have heard the differences cables can make.And heres a tip it has nothing to do with price.
    Use your ears and experiment. You will find some have a synergy with your system.
    I tried the Anaysis plus Sub oval on a Mirage sub and the bass lost extension and sounded repressed.I went back to the Monster 400mk2 and what a difference these affordable cables made.I also had a big difference when a swapped my Cardas 300b micros for Cardas Golden reference ICs.My Arcam DVD/SACD player now sounds better than i ever imagined it could.
    All i'm saying is it doesn't hurt to try and experiment,don't buy into hype or reviews YOU be the judge.

Naimeo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canU.K. View Post
    I have heard the differences cables can make.And heres a tip it has nothing to do with price.
    Use your ears ....don't buy into hype or reviews YOU be the judge.
    I couldn't agree more after trying well over a dozen interconnects - from Belden to the likes of Crystal, Acrolink & Siltec etc that cost a few hundred US$.

I can assure you there are quite substantial differences between them but it's hard to find a cable that excels in everything. My overall favorites are the Anti I/C (with bullet plug) and Belden 89207.

Quote Originally Posted by Naimeo View Post
    I couldn't agree more after trying well over a dozen interconnects - from Belden to the likes of Crystal, Acrolink & Siltec etc that cost a few hundred US$.

I can assure you there are quite substantial differences between them but it's hard to find a cable that excels in everything. My overall favorites are the Anti I/C (with bullet plug) and Belden 89207.
    Naimeo, I tried navigating the Belden website, found it bewildering. Do you know how they categorize the interconnects suitable for hi fi application? I couldn't make sense of their listing of product lines, many quite specialized for industry.

regards,
    Paul

Naimeo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pranderos View Post
    Naimeo, I tried navigating the Belden website, found it bewildering. Do you know how they categorize the interconnects suitable for hi fi application? I couldn't make sense of their listing of product lines, many quite specialized for industry.

regards,
    Paul
    Better to visit Blue Jean cable's website. There are a few popular Belden cables sold in my local pro gear cable shop. The 89207, 89259 & 1505F, plus a few others. I had them assembled with Neutrik Profil RCA connectors.

I find the 89207 dynamic and has great timing, but treble refinement is not that good and a touch upfront. The other 2 are smoother and have equally good tonal balance but may sound a touch polite and less transparent.

I shifted to my current system from a Naim system after over a decade, so my taste may be a bit bias towards a certain kind of sound. They're cheap enough to try out without hurting the wallet.

These days, I've made up my own interconnects using Belden 9272 and 8760 cables. The conductors are the same and easy to solder into both pnono and XLR plugs, the shielding differences making no audible diference to me. I find these cables do the job and don't appear to "get in the way."

The best "patch cords" I found years ago were the gold plugged wires that came with the better Nakamichi cassette decks. A good clear sounding wire by any standards.

For a giggle, I bought some "Ecoflex 10" screened wire. Once I'd found some phono plugs (from Maplin) to "weld" the central conductor to, I rather liked these for sound - just a touch smoother up top I imagined.......... The cable was well under ?2 per metre and the plugs were around ?3 to ?4 the pair. So, an expensive looking hosepipe sized cable for peanuts - Just the job

In the UK, there are some great bargain wires to be had online. Flashback sales make some reasonably priced phono and Naim/Quad style DIN interconnects. Action Hardware do some well performing phono-phono cables for a tenner or so for a metre pair (plus the wire and plugs to make your own but you have to buy quantity) and I'm told by someone I trust that Mark Grant audio and video wires are pretty good and well priced too.

Finally, do bare in mind that cables are the one thing a dealer can make BIG money on, hence the wild prices of outlandish products to tempt the well-heeled audiophile with. I'm sure all of these fancy products have measurable differences (perhaps at RF frequencies) but I bet the parameters aren't as well balanced as they are with sensibly priced wires.

Vlado Guest

Default Mains: filtering, conditioning, regenerating....

Hi all,
    please share your experiences in this area.

I am using IsoTek Orion 8 mains power distributor which provide component isolating, filtering and protection. Underway are IsoTek mains shielded cables.

Inserting the IsoTek Orion 8 and the IsoTek shielded cables in my system the sound became more transparent and the dynamic increased considerably.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast